Bear spears?

BRWNBR

WKR
So, I’ve taken brown bears with a rifle, pistol, and bow. I guess spear is the logical next choice.
Anyone here have any spear experience with any hunting? This is a new endeavor and I’m researching it but there’s a lack of good info I can find on quality spears, makes or models out there?

Geewhiz

WKR
So, I’ve taken brown bears with a rifle, pistol, and bow. I guess spear is the logical next choice.
Anyone here have any spear experience with any hunting? This is a new endeavor and I’m researching it but there’s a lack of good info I can find on quality spears, makes or models out there?
Taken one with a trad bow or just compound?

I had a weird kick to kill an elk with an atlatl a few years ago but didn't feel like spending $100+ an arrow. lol Still might try it one day though.

jmez

WKR
Cold Steel makes the spears for Tim Wells.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
Taken one with a trad bow or just compound?

I had a weird kick to kill an elk with an atlatl a few years ago but didn't feel like spending $100+ an arrow. lol Still might try it one day though.
You used an atlatl before? That’s a humbling experience or it was for me 😂

Dogone

FNG
Many years ago someone speared a black bear in Saskatchewan. It was quite well publicized. As a result spearing big game is now illegal here.
I believe he was in a stand and speared the bear from above.
Anyhow: it can be done but possibly not a wise move.

Geewhiz

WKR
You used an atlatl before? That’s a humbling experience or it was for me 😂
Well I bought one and practiced with it for a bit. Without much practice I was confident I could make it in the vitals of an elk at 15 yards or so about every shot but the issue was there is a huge amount of movement required to use an atlatl to launch a dart. I could get within 15 yards of an elk, but by the time my arm rotated 5 degrees he would be a mile away.

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
Well I bought one and practiced with it for a bit. Without much practice I was confident I could make it in the vitals of an elk at 15 yards or so about every shot but the issue was there is a huge amount of movement required to use an atlatl to launch a dart. I could get within 15 yards of an elk, but by the time my arm rotated 5 degrees he would be a mile away.
Then you’re much better than me. Maybe you just bought better equipment than I was using. Same reason the golfers on TV are better than me, it’s the equipment

Admittedly I know very little about the atlatl, but I always pictured it as a somewhat innacurate device intended to launch projectiles into large herds of animals like bison. Was it historically used as a close range weapon? Either way that sounds incredibly difficult.

Geewhiz

WKR
Admittedly I know very little about the atlatl, but I always pictured it as a somewhat innacurate device intended to launch projectiles into large herds of animals like bison. Was it historically used as a close range weapon? Either way that sounds incredibly difficult.
TBH I'm not really sure I just thought naturally it was the next coolest think after killing an elk with a trad bow. It would be super bad ass. But like anything, I do think that with practice you can gain a satisfactory level of accuracy and confidence.

wesfromky

WKR
This guy hunts with an atlatl -