Beginner fly fishing setup

16Bore

WKR
Unless you're 80 and have nothing else to do.... Skip tying flies.

16Bore

WKR
lol I don't agree with this but can understand where some would.

It about killed me. Same with reloading. Ugh...

Don't get me wrong. I get the appeal of both, but dable in too many other things.

Side bar though: My late uncle watched Lee Woulf make flies once. Guy didn't even use a vice.

OP
jwatts

jwatts

WKR

Don't get me wrong. I get the appeal of both, but dable in too many other things.

Side bar though: My late uncle watched Lee Woulf make flies once. Guy didn't even use a vice.

I reload so I appreciate the time and detail that can be put into a hobby. That said, I have too many other hobbies as it is. I am not going into this with the idea of getting into tying too.

Tip tops can be about as tough as a match stick. Once snapped one just pulling my leader out of the tip when the connection to the fly line caught and snaaaaap...st.croix always stood behind them. Would have liked the carbon rod with a glass tip, not unlike the ugly sticks.....

svivian

WKR

I think it all depends on how many flies you go through. I only tie about 5 patterns because I use them so much and it saves me a ton over time. Also it is very satisfying catching a nice trout on a fly you tied by hand.

Davebuech

WKR
Tip tops can be about as tough as a match stick. Once snapped one just pulling my leader out of the tip when the connection to the fly line caught and snaaaaap...st.croix always stood behind them. Would have liked the carbon rod with a glass tip, not unlike the ugly sticks.....

A lot of tip tops get broken this way....car doors too. One way to help eliminate this is to fold the fly line in half a couple inches from the leader connection and feed it through the eyelets doubled. When you get to the top then just pull the side with the leader through, wallah no chance for a broken tip!

2ski

WKR
Yeah, I have been trying to wrap my mind around all of the components. I think I have a grasp on what I need. I am going to try to hook up with the fly fishing club and hopefully find someone close to mentor me.
Pick up the Curtis Creek manifesto. Illustrated book. But does a great job of simplifying things.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

16Bore

WKR
I think it all depends on how many flies you go through. I only tie about 5 patterns because I use them so much and it saves me a ton over time. Also it is very satisfying catching a nice trout on a fly you tied by hand.

Same as shooting something with a handload. But yeah, seems there's always something else for me.

You're starting with panfish and bass and will have a blast as long as the rod you buy isn't a horrible piece of crap. There's no way you aren't going to enjoy yourself.

Will you end up taking etymology courses, dedicate yourself to joining the 20/20 club catching 20" trout with flies tied on #20 hooks or smaller, or writing home water philosophy? Who knows? Have fun. The first four pound bass that takes your panfish popper will knock your socks off.

robtattoo

WKR
Pm me your address. I've got a spare TFO 5WT. 9' 2-piece you're welcome to. Don't have a spare reel, but to get you going 'literally' anything will do. For bass & pan fish you really won't need to fight them on the reel.

OP
jwatts

jwatts

WKR
Pm me your address. I've got a spare TFO 5WT. 9' 2-piece you're welcome to. Don't have a spare reel, but to get you going 'literally' anything will do. For bass & pan fish you really won't need to fight them on the reel.
That's a great offer. I will PM you.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ChukarUp

FNG
Redington Crosswater is legit for an entry level combo. Orvis Clearwater is awesome too...more $, better warranty, personal decision.

$80 rods in the right place with the right fly will catch dozens more than $1000 rods in the wrong place or with the wrong fly. My advice would be to save money on your first rod, and put more money toward flies and gas, and go experience more places. After you find your honey holes, decide if you want to spend more on a rod/reel.

Lots of good advice here, and I'll be the hundredth person to recommend a TFO. A 9' 5 or 6wt Professional model with serve you well as a beginner, and will continue to be a good rod as you advance.

I think the TFO BVK model is one of the best "bang for your buck" rods out there, but it has a faster action which would make for a steeper learning curve for a beginner. The Professional is more of a medium-fast action- still plenty of backbone but more user friendly for an all-around rod.

Don't worry about putting to much money into a reel at this point. If you find yourself fighting big fish on light tippet and using the drag all the time, a nicer reel will help. This type of fishing will be several years down the road, if at all. For what you are looking to do it really won't matter much. Cabelas Wind River and Prestige reels are both great value for the money and will do everything you need.

mcr-85

WKR
My father in law is an avid fly fisherman. A few years ago I decided to buy a blank and build him a fly rod. I built one for myself to make sure I could do it. I can't remember what blanks I used, but I know mine was a cheap one. All in all on my first one I think I was $30 on a blank and probably $40 or $50 on hardware and handle material. His was a little more money. My father in law uses his almost every time he goes. I ended up building 2 for myself, a 4 wt and a 5 wt. At the time I was building coyote, elk and duck calls on a little lathe in my garage so I had the tools set up to do it. I always wanted to buy a nice blank and build another "nice" one but hunting takes all my money. I know these aren't as nice as the ones you can buy. I just got my lathe set up again for another project so maybe one of these days I'll get another one made.

flyfishing2.jpg

fly%20rod%20handle.jpg

2012-11-01_21-37-07_930.jpg

Crotalus

Lil-Rokslider
If bass are on your list skip the 5 wt and go for a 6wt minimum. There are few things as fun as throwing mice and frogs for smallies. You'll have a lot more fun doing that with a 6wt than with a 5 wt. I have rods from 2wt through 10 wt and my 6 has seen far more use than any of them, From 3" brookies and panfish to nearly 30" steelhead.