Bergara MG Lite Review, By Travis Bertrand

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
7/15/23 Update: there were several errors in the original article.

1) The carbon “Cure” is called carbon “Pure”, and is a different process that helps dissipate heat.

2) The original article stated that the rifle is available in 300 PRC—it is not

The article has been updated with the current information.

Sorry for any confusion

Since its release, @Travis Bertrand has been shooting the Bergara MG Lite and just finished his review. It's a great option if you are interested in NRL Hunter matches but don't want to build a rifle.

Bergara MG Lite Review

Last edited by a moderator:

pucmw11

FNG
What level of accuracy walk have you seen with the Cure barrels as they heat up? Have they maintained point of aim with the 6.5 creedmoor or did you see it start to open up?

Dobie07

FNG
Good write up! Components wise, it’s tough to beat this option if the Bergara carbon barrel is up to the task. If this had a proof on it, they wouldn’t be able to keep ‘em in stock. Really curious to hear more on Bergaras carbon barrel.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What level of accuracy walk have you seen with the Cure barrels as they heat up? Have they maintained point of aim with the 6.5 creedmoor or did you see it start to open up?
When I first got our shop rifle I shot a 10 shot group at 100 that measured .55" to make sure it wasn't going to be an issue! Small sample size but ours is good to go! I also shot it in an NRL Hunter match and didnt have any issues at all!

pucmw11

FNG
When I first got our shop rifle I shot a 10 shot group at 100 that measured .55" to make sure it wasn't going to be an issue! Small sample size but ours is good to go! I also shot it in an NRL Hunter match and didnt have any issues at all!
Awesome info, thank you!

Reactions: XLR

Clarson757

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I picked this up in 6.5 PRC. It shoots great but I’ve noticed the bolt can be a bit tight when feeding the next round. How has your action felt after that many rounds? I’d imagine it will break in a little.

mdf21

Lil-Rokslider
@Travis Bertrand in your write-up you mentioned the weight of "7.5 pounds without an optic or mount (short action)", the Bergara website lists the weights from 6.6-6.8# depending on caliber. Are these coming in over the factory weight or are the Bergara weights without certain components?

Clarson757

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
@Travis Bertrand in your write-up you mentioned the weight of "7.5 pounds without an optic or mount (short action)", the Bergara website lists the weights from 6.6-6.8# depending on caliber. Are these coming in over the factory weight or are the Bergara weights without certain components?

I think the website could be slightly off. I didn’t weigh my rifle naked but with my vx6 3-18x44, rings and rail I’m right around 8.8lbs without bipod. I also have a Ti 3 self timer brake and a short pic rail to mount my atlas bipod.

Much lighter than some outfits I’ve had and handled but still not what I’d call an “ultralight” build.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure it's a nice rifle but at $3,200, you have lots of options. I built my first DIY in 308 for that price last year (disclaimer, the price of receivers has gone up since then). My second DIY in 6.5 CM shot .245" three shot group.

Defiance Tenacity 1000
Proof carbon barrel 1000
McMillan stock custom ordered 700
TriggerTech trigger 200
Hawkins M5 bottom metal 200
Total: 3100

My present build, 7mm PRC, is running about 4000, difference all of which went to the Defiance Ruckus GA Hunter receiver.

Clarson757

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I'm sure it's a nice rifle but at $3,200, you have lots of options. I built my first DIY in 308 for that price last year (disclaimer, the price of receivers has gone up since then). My second DIY in 6.5 CM shot .245" three shot group.

Defiance Tenacity 1000
Proof carbon barrel 1000
TriggerTech trigger 200

My present build, 7mm PRC, is running about 4000, difference all of which went to the Defiance Ruckus GA Hunter receiver.

I like the build. The price is definitely worth the custom build route. For me personally, I have never built a bolt gun and this fit the bill for a custom quality without stressing about building everything.

I do want to build a 7mm prc just like yours actually but with a different stock (I like the chassis from mdt). Would you mind sending me your build list? My biggest concern was which action for the proof barrel.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
I like the build. The price is definitely worth the custom build route. For me personally, I have never built a bolt gun and this fit the bill for a custom quality without stressing about building everything.

I do want to build a 7mm prc just like yours actually but with a different stock (I like the chassis from mdt). Would you mind sending me your build list? My biggest concern was which action for the proof barrel.
I built my first just about a year ago, I have had quite a few Winchester 70s built for me but it's just gotten too easy for someone like me to do a DIY. I asked a lot of questions and did my homework but it's really quite easy. Besides the parts, you need a torque wrench, barrel vise and headspace gauges.

Defiance Ruckus GA Hunter
Proof carbon 22"
McMillan
Hawkins M5
Trigger Tech

If I were doing it again, I'd look at Terminus or Impact receivers. You can go to the Proof site and look up barrels and receivers compatibility. I bought my components at Altus Shooting, they can match your receiver with a barrel. I would encourage you to give it a try.

My 7 PRC in the works, McMillan stock shipped yesterday.

Clarson757

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I built my first just about a year ago, I have had quite a few Winchester 70s built for me but it's just gotten too easy for someone like me to do a DIY. I asked a lot of questions and did my homework but it's really quite easy. Besides the parts, you need a torque wrench, barrel vise and headspace gauges.

Defiance Ruckus GA Hunter
Proof carbon 22"
McMillan
Hawkins M5
Trigger Tech

If I were doing it again, I'd look at Terminus or Impact receivers. You can go to the Proof site and look up barrels and receivers compatibility. I bought my components at Altus Shooting, they can match your receiver with a barrel. I would encourage you to give it a try.

My 7 PRC in the works, McMillan stock shipped yesterday.

That’s awesome. I was looking at a few of the actions from Lone Peak. If you go with a chassis I suppose you don’t need bottom metal, just a magazine?

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
Altus has Lone Peak too, they are great to work with, bought three actions from them. As far as I know yes, your chassis will have "bottom metal" but I'm not really familiar with chassis rifles.

Clarson757

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Altus has Lone Peak too, they are great to work with, bought three actions from them. As far as I know yes, your chassis will have "bottom metal" but I'm not really familiar with chassis rifles.

Sounds good I’ll reach out to them with what I want to build and I’m sure they’ll give me the run down. Thanks!

I do love my Bergaras, so hopefully OP isn’t too frustrated by the sidebar convo. For a packable option, it’s awesome. I can fold the stock and hike with it on the meat shelf of my Mystery Ranch Metcalf. I’ve also added QD points for a sling if I need it.

Barnes 120gn seems to really work well with both my Bergara rifles (B14 and MG Lite). I’m sure there are others as well, but I have to shoot non-lead in CA.

Excellent quality and the fit/ finish is great on my Bergaras. They run like they should (although OP mentions a bad apple) and are accurate.

ID_Matt

WKR

Defiance Tenacity 1000
Proof carbon barrel 1000
TriggerTech trigger 200

$2,667 is what I am seeing cheapest online for the bergara, at that price I don't think you can build anything near it with those features (folding chassis, carbon barrel, etc. )

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
$2,667 is what I am seeing cheapest online for the bergara, at that price I don't think you can build anything near it with those features (folding chassis, carbon barrel, etc. )
The price in the review was $3200 but if $2,600, they you are correct.

Glenncb

FNG
thanks for the solid review. I have pretty much decided on this rifle but am struggling with the choice of the PRC v. Creedmoor. It will be used as an all around NA hunting rifle. Mostly White Tail, but would love the opportunity for western hunting one day. I realize there are a multitude of opinions on this caliber question but would welcome thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Clarson757

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
thanks for the solid review. I have pretty much decided on this rifle but am struggling with the choice of the PRC v. Creedmoor. It will be used as an all around NA hunting rifle. Mostly White Tail, but would love the opportunity for western hunting one day. I realize there are a multitude of opinions on this caliber question but would welcome thoughts. Thanks in advance.

I have both Creedmoor (B14) and PRC (mg lite). PRC hops a bit more but after I put a brake on it’s much better, although very loud. I got the MG Lite in 6.5PRC because I live and hunt out west. Creedmoor is great, but the prc definitely takes the horsepower advantage.

I have a wilderness ride in 7 mm mag that I really like. How does the MG Lite handle in relation to the Ridge? With a brake the 7 mm mag fells like a 243! I only use mine for hunting, my boys both shoot the same gun and one killed an elk at 600 yards and the other at 660 yards last year. Thinking of picking up a MG lite in 6.5 PRC. Don't need it but!!!!!!!!!!

Clarson757

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I have a wilderness ride in 7 mm mag that I really like. How does the MG Lite handle in relation to the Ridge? With a brake the 7 mm mag fells like a 243! I only use mine for hunting, my boys both shoot the same gun and one killed an elk at 600 yards and the other at 660 yards last year. Thinking of picking up a MG lite in 6.5 PRC. Don't need it but!!!!!!!!!!

My first bolt gun on a chassis and it feels great. Trigger Hand position feels more natural. Love the folding stock, sits on the meat shelf of my mystery ranch great.