Best 100ish qt cooler for ice retention

Weldor

WKR
My 120qt Coleman Xtreme 6's are just over 18" tall and work very well for a week. But I think they went and changed them up because I haven't seen them in stores the last couple years. They used to be about $50 which was a great deal. Now their new ones are probably over twice that amount and won't work as well. That seems to be the trend with everything these days. But quite frankly, there are a lot of decent coolers on the market today, if you can find your right size.

There's "best".........where money's no object. Then there's "good enough" at decent price points.
I switched a few years back for the same reason, rotomolded cooler's I had were to tall, went with Coleman extreme's hold ice as well as any of them. Side note The 100 qt plus rotomolded coolers are heavy even when empty.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I switched a few years back for the same reason, rotomolded cooler's I had were to tall, went with Coleman extreme's hold ice as well as any of them. Side note The 100 qt plus rotomolded coolers are heavy even when empty.
I'll admit it, I love my 200qt Marine rotomolded cooler, but it is a beast. I take it and one of the Coleman's every year to elk camp. But if I had to, I could easily just use the two Coleman's as they keep frozen milk jugs very well for a week to 10 days, especially if you keep them closed and shaded.

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
I'll admit it, I love my 200qt Marine rotomolded cooler, but it is a beast. I take it and one of the Coleman's every year to elk camp. But if I had to, I could easily just use the two Coleman's as they keep frozen milk jugs very well for a week to 10 days, especially if you keep them closed and shaded.
That’s what I toted with me to Colorado last year with my 65qt but it was too tall for the bed cover to be shut. Absolute monster of a cooler

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
Has anyone actually used these Cator Gators?
I've been curious about them, especially with how good the price is
There’s a few threads on here about them. I was looking this morning and didn’t see anything negative. Definitely looking at them

If you’re not fishing or rafting (or hunting?) in extreme heat for over a week, what is the upside of a $500 cooler vs a $100 cooler?

I have never hunted Pronghorn in temps >90, but besides that can’t see a hunting scenario where I would legitimately need a rotomolded cooler.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Cabela 100 quart is 21.5 inches tall but you can remove the rubber feet-not sure how much difference it would make but it might get you where you need to be. The 80 quart would more than likely work

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
If you’re not fishing or rafting (or hunting?) in extreme heat for over a week, what is the upside of a $500 cooler vs a $100 cooler?

I have never hunted Pronghorn in temps >90, but besides that can’t see a hunting scenario where I would legitimately need a rotomolded cooler.
Personally, I like the rotomolded coolers because I have found them to be tougher for long term use. It's not a prestige thing to me. I've had my Yeti for 8 years and it has been functionally perfect. It holds a whitetail + ice for several days, will let my briskets rest for hours on end without losing much (if any) heat, and has held cold beer as long as I've needed it to for several day long fishing trips in the South Texas sun.

I've broken several of the Coleman style coolers through normal use over the years. Several hinges and latches, also a few lids on boating trips (they are not meant to be stood on as a casting platform). Issues I have not had with my Yeti.

For my uses, the ice retention is not the end of the world, I am usually nearby areas that I can get more ice if needed, but fewer stops for ice is preferred.

The downside to rotomolded are the high prices and they tend to be more difficult to move, especially when full.

Dented

WKR
From @TxLite
"I've broken several of the Coleman style coolers through normal use over the years. Several hinges and latches, also a few lids on boating trips (they are not meant to be stood on as a casting platform). Issues I have not had with my Yeti."

This.

I've got Coleman 5 day coolers for transport. But when I'm really hammering stuff rotomolded will always out perform.

Scorpion

WKR
I like the roto molded coolers for everyday use for work, etc. One stays in the truck year round. I have a Yeti and a Grizzly, both work well for me.

For hunting, I find as much use in the 100-120 quart Igloo and Coleman coolers I got years ago. You can fit a processed bull elk in one pretty easily. If the meat is frozen just add 6-10 lbs of dry ice and you’re good for 30+ hours before anything starts to thaw.

I use a 110 RTIC. It fits under the cover of my 2017 Silverado. Dimensions are available on their website.
I use frozen drinking water blocks and most recently I use Artic ice packs. I start the trip in South Florida were it is alway warm So the morning before the trip by pre chilling the cooler. The night before I leave I load up the cooler with the ice blocks and ice packs as well as all my frozen food I will be eating on the trip.

When I get to where I am hunting I only open the big cooler once to transfer a few days of the frozen food to my 65s or 45s. Other than putting game in the big cooler I never open it. I keep the truck and cooler in the shade. Never put anything in your game cooler that is not cold or frozen. Ever.

I can go an easy week so long as the game is cold when it goes in the cooler. If I go for 8-10 days or more I have to start adding ice bags Depending on how cold it is where I am hunting. I put the cold game meat in 2 gallon ziplock bags that I leave open. When I get home I have virtually no water or blood in the bottom of my cooler.

The more block ice or froze things you start with the better. Your cooler needs to be full as possible when you leave home. AS you need space for game meat you can pull out the frozen water containers and use them. I use the 2 gallon drinking water blocks with the spout on them. Use your smaller coolers for your food and drinks.

I also purchased a couple bluebtooth type cooler thermometers so I can monitor the temp inside the coolers. They display the temp on my iphone. I never have to open my cooler to know its still cold in there. For $12 bucks a pop they are great peace of mind.

I used to get about 6-7 days in warm or moderate weather with my large igloo marine cooler managing them the same way. Only got about 5 days if I was hunting in Florida.

I have a couple cable locks I use to secure my rotomolded coolers. They wont stop a pro but they will stop the half drunk punk from just grabbing it and tossing it in his truck. I keep the cover on my truck closed and only time my coolers are exposed is at camp and they are safe there.

Last edited:

Maverick1

WKR
When you buy a Yeti (or the like) realize that someone (you) is paying a higher price for all that advertising and name/brand recognition. Sure, it “may” - or may not - perform slightly better than others.

I have gotten outstanding results using less expensive coolers, filling them with frozen jugs of water, putting a couple layers of rigid pink insulation inside the cooler, and covering the whole setup with a sleeping bag. But, those three coolers only get used once a year, so that’s how I approach it. Your money and your needs might be different!

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
I use a 110 RTIC. It fits under the cover of my 2017 Silverado. Dimensions are available on their website.
They are actually just down the road from me. I know in the past they have offered 50% off for scratch and dents at the facility. Dimensions wise, they are showing to be 1/4” under my cover but I may swing by and see if I can check fitment

They are actually just down the road from me. I know in the past they have offered 50% off for scratch and dents at the facility. Dimensions wise, they are showing to be 1/4” under my cover but I may swing by and see if I can check fitment
Not sure what type cover you have but be sure to see if it whatever cooler you are working with fits between the support bars. My big old igloo marine cooler will not clear the support bars but does fit between them. I almost threw a fit when I saw it didnt fit under the support bar Of my new truck and cover I just pulled it back a few inches and it fit easily.

I would get to be friends with them boys………