Best bino magnification range for mule deer

jdoyle243

FNG
Looking to go on my first backcountry mule deer hunt in Oct 2024. Any recommendations on a binocular and what magnification range to use on this hunt? Currently run a Maven B.1 10x42 but might want a bit more zoom range.

mlob1one

WKR
Do you also have a spotting scope? Are you hunting an arid unit in higher elevation with less vegetation or a unit that has lots of thick cover?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
jdoyle243

jdoyle243

FNG
Do you also have a spotting scope? Are you hunting an arid unit in higher elevation with less vegetation or a unit that has lots of thick cover?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Yes I do have a spotter, 13x39x56 Vortex razor. High country, minimal underbrush but large timber pockets. Most glassing will likely be 700-2,000 yards

Hnthrdr

WKR
Decent 10x are fine for ID’ing bucks out to 1200-1500 yard… if they are “shooter” class usually you will know around 1000 yards. with 10x you should be fine, with what you have. This year I am super excited to try my new 12’s out, but 10’s work great, I favored them for a long time for MD hunting until NL’s came out

Magma

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been finding animals pretty well for 8-9 years now with 8x SLC HDs. If I started over I’d probably go 10x, but 8s are not a handicap for what I do. Good quality and knowing how to glass trumps x’s easily in my experience.

JRS3

FNG
Various 10x40 to 10x50s served me just fine for 20+ years hunting with only one bino on hunts. I would say they covered 90% of my needs, especially out to 1,200 yards +\-. I really only felt “underpowered” when looking past 1,200 but 10Xs are great for a single, do-all.

Food for thought as you accumulate a longer term strategy. I started using a combination of 10x42 EL Range and 15x56 SLCs the past two years and have been happy. However, with the release of the 8x32 EL Range, I would probably have gone with them and the 15Xs as the perfect dual bino set.

Choosing one bino only, it would be 10x42 for sure.

You will be fine with your mavens if you don't feel like overhauling your setup for one hunt. If you still want to upgrade I recommend good quality 12x50's and a lightweight tripod in your pack for extended glassing sits.

packer58

WKR
Don’t need crazy inches detail, but @1,000 yards know if I’m looking at a 150’s or 170’s buck.
If this is your goal then you'll be more than fine with what you currently have. Personally , i would add a stud to your Mavens and put em on a tripod for a whole new level of glassing .....

pugwylde

FNG
Man, a whole thread saying keep what you got?!? I concur, though. I have the same spotter and I just recently started running my binos on a tripod, which makes them awesome for spotting. Just eliminating the shake makes a world of difference.

TaperPin

WKR
Quite honestly, 12x should be more popular than 10x. If a new hunter can use 10x just fine it shouldn’t take long to be able to use 12x. Constant glassing builds muscle memory and experience should develop better technique, both make glassing much more steady.

If you are steady enough for 12x there’s no benefit to sticking with 10x. On the flip side, if someone Is borderline steady with 10x it makes no sense, and is worse, to go with 12x.

We all have different techniques for holding and most guys I see that can’t hand hold 12x standing up, have their arms out away from their body, rather than tucked in resting elbows against the ribs. It’s no different from shooting well - muscle memory and practice.

Last edited:
If you don’t already have a tripod, I highly recommend getting your binos on a good tripod. I found my glassing improved dramatically even with my 8x42s from a Granite Peak tripod.

My primary binoculars are now Swaro EL12x50s, which are great for finding animals. I think quality 10x will do most of what you want to do. The outdoorsmans mounting system for binoculars is great. Really Right Stuff also has clamp for binoculars that fits an ARCA clamp. My wife has the clamp on her little 10x32 ELs and I have the same RRS clamp on my 12s.
1708273130376.jpeg

rcook10

WKR
A pair of 15-18x binos is well worth it in my opinion. Off a tripod it is very nice for picking deer out of the sage and much easier to stay behind the glass for extended periods of time.

OP
jdoyle243

jdoyle243

FNG
Various 10x40 to 10x50s served me just fine for 20+ years hunting with only one bino on hunts. I would say they covered 90% of my needs, especially out to 1,200 yards +\-. I really only felt “underpowered” when looking past 1,200 but 10Xs are great for a single, do-all.

Food for thought as you accumulate a longer term strategy. I started using a combination of 10x42 EL Range and 15x56 SLCs the past two years and have been happy. However, with the release of the 8x32 EL Range, I would probably have gone with them and the 15Xs as the perfect dual bino set.

Choosing one bino only, it would be 10x42 for sure.
Copy that, thanks for the input. I have a Revic BR4 on the ranging side so I wouldn’t run an EL range, but have considered an NL pure in 10x
Hard trying to cover all my bases as an archery elk guy + late season rifle hunter… with a wife and kid on the way at age 24. Lots of things to spend $ on