Best bino magnification range for mule deer

JRS3

FNG
Copy that, thanks for the input. I have a Revic BR4 on the ranging side so I wouldn’t run an EL range, but have considered an NL pure in 10x
Hard trying to cover all my bases as an archery elk guy + late season rifle hunter… with a wife and kid on the way at age 24. Lots of things to spend $ on
Congrats with the family. Enjoy, as that’s the most important.

I’m just a little farther down the road than you on the road of life and totally get it. I still have my 10x40 binos from my teens and just started to let my kids use them this year.

Stick with what you have right now but definitely add a post or stud of some kind to glass off a tripod. I use 10x’s a lot for just hand glassing then put them on a tripod for those long glassing sessions. I also use some 15x56 mavens to zoom in more since I don’t have a spotter. I use an outdoorsmans bino stud and tripod.

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll second some others here. If you have the spotter, just get a bino adapter for your tripod and you’ll be golden for this year. 15-18x binos are pretty awesome to have, but I’m still debating whether or not I like it in that scenario in place of a spotter or if I want to carry 3 optics….

Tripod first and then some quality 18x56 Binos if you still have money left. Can't beat the Slik 624 from S&S in my opinion.

My two cents is a solid set of 10s with a wider FOV within that category paired with a spotter.

I personally use NL 12s and a spotter and absolutely love it. I personally believe the FOV of the NL changes the trade off typically considered. If you can't swing them then a good set of 10s will do everything you need.

Brian77

FNG
To answer your question, it helps to think through the type of terrain being hunted.... I second the question on what type of cover and country you are glassing.....

I have 8's and 10 x 42 Last year for SD mule deer in open country I took new 12 x 50 Razor HD. I also had a scope. I loved the additional horsepower for picking apart cover in the draws and sides of ravines. I will be taking the 12's anytime i am hunting open country.... But in wooded and closer timber type country, I will use the 8's or 10's

I just bought the sig zulu6 16x42 image stabilized binos. I’m gonna try to hunt with that as my only optic this year, no tripod, no spotter, just a fairly light pair of 16 power binos that I can hand hold. The one issue I am a little afraid of is field of view but maybe that will help me to sit in one spot longer, the need to glass every nook and cranny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
I rarely pull my spotter out. I went from 15x Meoptas to the 18x UHD vortex on a CF Sirui tripod and ball head after a side by side comparison.

If there was a great pair of 20x binos out there…I probably would own those.

Houseminer

Lil-Rokslider
I would get a pair of 10x42, and I would see if I could find a used pair of Swaro SLCs before I got something new.

8x are great if you pair them with a spotter or in more timbered areas, 12x can almost impossible to free hand and kinda be a bit cumbersome in a chest harness.

ianpadron

WKR
Quite honestly, 12x should be more popular than 10x. If a new hunter can use 10x just fine it shouldn’t take long to be able to use 12x. Constant glassing builds muscle memory and experience should develop better technique, both make glassing much more steady.

If you are steady enough for 12x there’s no benefit to sticking with 10x. On the flip side, if someone Is borderline steady with 10x it makes no sense, and is worse, to go with 12x.

We all have different techniques for holding and most guys I see that can’t hand hold 12x standing up, have their arms out away from their body, rather than tucked in resting elbows against the ribs. It’s no different from shooting well - muscle memory and practice.

FOV is a massive advantage of 10s over 12s. 12x50 were my go to binos the last 7 years...scooped some 8s and 10s this past year...man, I've been missing out. FOV is wildly underappreciated, especially if you glass off a tripod.

TaperPin

WKR
FOV is a massive advantage of 10s over 12s. 12x50 were my go to binos the last 7 years...scooped some 8s and 10s this past year...man, I've been missing out. FOV is wildly underappreciated, especially if you glass off a tripod.
That’s interesting - most guys with a tripod seem to usually want more magnification. Although, I can think of a few spots where it would be nice to leave the binocs pointed at one spot and check it occasionally. The best solution must be to have a range of magnification - using them side by side definitely brings out a preference.

ianpadron

WKR
That’s interesting - most guys with a tripod seem to usually want more magnification. Although, I can think of a few spots where it would be nice to leave the binocs pointed at one spot and check it occasionally. The best solution must be to have a range of magnification - using them side by side definitely brings out a preference.

The "ah-hah" moment for me came on a hunt in September when I was staring at a mountainside between 800 and 1100 yards away for 3 days straight with my 12s. Took A TON of little adjustments to check the whole face. Post-hunt I picked up some 8x32 ELs after seeing their FOV was enormous compared to the 12s. Difference was like watching an IMAX movie vs a phone screen, even though my 12s were no slouch in the quality department (Meostar HDs).

Since I always have a spotter with me for details, I didn't miss the 12s a single time the rest of the season, but caught lots of critters wiggling around on the edge of the field that I'd likely have missed with my 12s.

I think that's why the NLs are so popular, 12 power with the FOV greater than most 10s...cheat code

grizz19

Lil-Rokslider
I run 10’s but if it’s big country you could jump up to 12’s. A thing to think about, I run meopta 10’s and my buddy just got a pair of swaro EL 10’s. His EL’s appear to have an extra magnification or 2 over my meoptas at the same 10 power.
Maven also makes what I believe is an 11x45 in their B series which I think would be a super cool piece of glass.

Jimss

WKR
I constantly go back and forth between my 10x 42 and Swarovski spotter. If you have the $ you would be impressed with Leica 10x42 rangefinder combo. It’s definitely worth the investment. You can spot a buck and have it ranged in a matter of seconds. Also don’t have to worry about haulage an additional rangefinder. Could be the difference in time between shooting a buck or it disappearing over the horizon.

Seth

WKR
As others have said, get your current binos on a tripod. It really improves the effectiveness.

Ken Swenson

Lil-Rokslider
The "ah-hah" moment for me came on a hunt in September when I was staring at a mountainside between 800 and 1100 yards away for 3 days straight with my 12s. Took A TON of little adjustments to check the whole face. Post-hunt I picked up some 8x32 ELs after seeing their FOV was enormous compared to the 12s. Difference was like watching an IMAX movie vs a phone screen, even though my 12s were no slouch in the quality department (Meostar HDs).

Since I always have a spotter with me for details, I didn't miss the 12s a single time the rest of the season, but caught lots of critters wiggling around on the edge of the field that I'd likely have missed with my 12s.

I think that's why the NLs are so popular, 12 power with the FOV greater than most 10s...cheat code
I’d second this with the fact that a narrow FOV bino requires more panning and readjusting your eyes each time. Obviously low and high power binos have their place. Unless you’re looking over a mile, a wide 8x on a tripod is crazy efficient for spotting movement on a hillside.

I’ve just started running a 8x and 15x combo. If I can put up with the weight, I think it will make for very efficient glassing sessions.