Best day pack for multi use?

I've spent several hours today looking at packs and reading...I think I have it narrowed down to these, probably in this order right now:

Exo 3500
Stone glacier approach or the solo
Kifaru mountain rambler w/ duplex
Mystery ranch longbow

One more topic I would like some input on..

Comfort...I know it's a very personal choice, but overall, will most of the packs be about the same in the comfort department? Or, will one or two of them tend to outshine the others?

I've spent several hours today looking at packs and reading...I think I have it narrowed down to these, probably in this order right now:

Exo 3500
Stone glacier approach or the solo
Kifaru mountain rambler w/ duplex
Mystery ranch longbow

One more topic I would like some input on..

Comfort...I know it's a very personal choice, but overall, will most of the packs be about the same in the comfort department? Or, will one or two of them tend to outshine the others?

Comfort is subjective and too personal. What is comfortable for one may not be for you. See if people locally have packs you could try on. Even then it is pretty hard to say until you have some trail miles with weight in the pack.

I don't like that eberlestock "style" rifle carry system. If I want to sit down for 5 mins it seems that you would have to pull the whole pack off to sit?

I am looking for something that caries the rifle on the side of the pack flush with the bottom, or on the face of the pack (center mass on the outside). No that I have been looking is seems most of the packs I have narrowed it down to (Kifaru, Exo, Stone glacier, Kuiu, etc) have some sort of accessory you can buy, or you could lash it to the outside with some straps.

Question on the kifaru duplex versus bikini...whats the major difference? The duplex looks lighter, and more comfortable...the bikini is for hazier loads and bigger packs?

Kifaru is about 30 mins from me, so I probably need to just go down there instead of wasting hall's time, but I do greatly appreciate the input and advice!

On the duplex/bikini difference, you have it backwards but otherwise correct.

As to the OP's most recent post, IMO the Kifaru frame is worlds more comfortable than the MR frame or suspension on the pure internals, and a longbow can very easily be made to fit the kifaru frames if for some reason you liked that pack better.

I went through the same process as your going through and tried a lot of packs, the x2, badlands, black creek...... Then I found kifaru and bit the bullet and couldn't be happier the nomad and bikini was awesome for day hunts but I am going with the rambler this year and am excited to play with it when gets here. I have no experience with the other high end packs but I am sure their great as well but Aron made me a life long customer with his customer service and frankness!

I don't like that eberlestock "style" rifle carry system. If I want to sit down for 5 mins it seems that you would have to pull the whole pack off to sit?

I am looking for something that caries the rifle on the side of the pack flush with the bottom, or on the face of the pack (center mass on the outside). No that I have been looking is seems most of the packs I have narrowed it down to (Kifaru, Exo, Stone glacier, Kuiu, etc) have some sort of accessory you can buy, or you could lash it to the outside with some straps.

Question on the kifaru duplex versus bikini...whats the major difference? The duplex looks lighter, and more comfortable...the bikini is for hazier loads and bigger packs?

Kifaru is about 30 mins from me, so I probably need to just go down there instead of wasting hall's time, but I do greatly appreciate the input and advice!

Check out the Kifaru gunbearer its all I use anymore, you can set up the gunbearer in multiple different ways so its a pretty versatile system. I had an eberlestock 107 dragonfly? years ago and don't miss the rifle carrier on that system at all...

http://store.kifaru.net/gun-bearers-p30.aspx

I think I have made up my mind after some more research and reading last night. I will cogitate on it for a week or two and make sure I still feel the same way when it comes to actually spending the $800+...

Stone Glacier Solo frame and pack, plus the approach bag

I like the idea of being able to combine both for a multiple day trip then use the approach from camp during day trips. Or, when I am truck hunting I can just use the approach during fair weather hunts when I am not packing a bunch of extra clothes and gear, then use the solo during late season if its really cold or wet out and I want to pack rain gear, extra insulation, extra socks, etc....

I also really like the rifle sling system from stone glacier. ad being to access your weapon so easily. It will be good for turkey hunting and other things I plan on using the packs for.

The one negative I could find on stone glacier is I do not like their hip pockets setup. I think Exo is leading the way here with their one handed operation.

I really looked long and hard at Kifaru and Exo, but for some reason the two pack route with SG just seems to be perfect for what I want to use the packs for.

Swing on over to the shop this week and check out our packs in person. Most of the time its hard to truly judge the best fit from internet pictures and other peoples reviews. You can get hands on with all of our packs and see if one is right for you and if not, at least you can check that box off that you know for sure. Call the shop if you have any questions or we are open Mon-Fri 7am - 4pm

Joe Baht
Kifaru
303-278-9155 - office
480-326-9009 - cell

Swing on over to the shop this week and check out our packs in person. Most of the time its hard to truly judge the best fit from internet pictures and other peoples reviews. You can get hands on with all of our packs and see if one is right for you and if not, at least you can check that box off that you know for sure. Call the shop if you have any questions or we are open Mon-Fri 7am - 4pm

Joe Baht
Kifaru
303-278-9155 - office
480-326-9009 - cell

Hi Joe, theres no way I could turn down a personal invitation. I am actually going to be driving right by you guys tomorrow on my way to take a client golfing out in Golden, so I would be stupid not to stop. I also have been wanting to pick up some of your pullouts to re-organize my first aid kit, fire kit, etc.

I will be in around 8:30-9am tomorrow.

Check out the Rambler while you are there. That pack will do everything you described you wanted.

The mountain rambler is the one I have looked the hardest at, along with the nomad. I just don't like the gun system for the rambler...thats my biggest issue. I know I could spend another $50 and buy a gun bearer and strap it to the side of the pack. I am going to look at Kifaru in person and see if its love at first site...

The mountain rambler is the one I have looked the hardest at, along with the nomad. I just don't like the gun system for the rambler...thats my biggest issue. I know I could spend another $50 and buy a gun bearer and strap it to the side of the pack. I am going to look at Kifaru in person and see if its love at first site...

I've used and owned both. I really love the Rambler design, and it's actually super easy to access the rifle in the scabbard. Hope you find the best pack for you when you go in to check them out.

Well, I got back from kifaru earlier and I am holding a receipt for a mountain rambler with guide lid, duplex frame, and am assorment of pullouts, and pockets.

I thought I had my mind set on SG so I am glad I went down there to look at everything. The stuff is pretty sweet and it is certainly a plus it feels good supporting a Local company.

Now I have the 4 week wait!

HAHA Congrats!!! That turned out to be a spendy little visit huh? :) Congrats on the new pack!

Congrats on the pack, I went with the same setup and am thrilled with the pack.

Are you running of the pockets on yours, I'm all twisted up on whether to run two larges, a large and medium, or a medium and small...so many things to configure. It's like really expensive Legos!!!!

I just run a large belt pouch on the belt, a guide lid, and the gun bearer. That guide lid is almost big enough to be a daypack in itself.

Go big and get a good 5000 - 6000 cu bag. Air packs easy. In my opinion, no reason to have multiple packs when you can get a sub 5lb 6000 cu pack that compresses down to nothing and works for everything. Air packs easy. With that one bag you can do it all, including overnight trips.

I got a Stone Glacier Sky last year, and sold all my other packs. I use it for everything.

Go big and get a good 5000 - 6000 cu bag. Air packs easy. In my opinion, no reason to have multiple packs when you can get a sub 5lb 6000 cu pack that compresses down to nothing and works for everything. Air packs easy. With that one bag you can do it all, including overnight trips.

I got a Stone Glacier Sky last year, and sold all my other packs. I use it for everything.

I went with the Kifaru mountain rambler on the duplex frame. For those of you that read this and are looking at the rambler, having seen it in person, you can haul plenty on this thing. My primary use will be hunting as a day pack and some 1-3 night stays in the woods. Also for 1-3 night backpack trips with my wife. Some trips might be longer, but for now, since I live so close to the mountains, we tend to just take weekend trips.

The main compartment is 2,800 CI (I think...), then you have two huge side packets, the meat shelf which could carry sleeping gear or whatever for an extended trip, you could roll your tent and pad up and lash it on to the bottom of the pack, then you could add some pocket bags or a grab it on the outside to hold even more. I thought it would be a tad small looking at it online and only seeing the "2800 CI" number...but after seeing it in person, it will hold more than I ever care to pack (especially when my wife and dog carry the other half!). The meat shelf is huge on it as well. You could easily put a full bone-in elk quarter between you and the bag with room to probably spare.

I really liked the stone glacier packs from what I saw online, but I live 30 mins from Kifaru and it was so nice going in and looking at the packs, when its ready I will go down to pick it up and they will help me get me fitted into it. Plus, if I ever need anything else, its just a drive away.

Back