Best non custom mountain rifle

bellboy

Lil-Rokslider
My savage lwh in 6.5 creedmoor is doing great so far. I'm still bumping the powder up towards max. My best 3-shot group is something like .4" and change. I also painted the wood stock to match kuiu vias.
11534c6a702acafb4f98b08bd8a906ba.jpg

7ad795598802106242941fd53a3f7300.jpg

fcdc438643c4cff31b2643e6effa22ac.jpg

bellboy

Lil-Rokslider
I finished my ladder test yesterday and am completely impressed with this little rifle. It's shooting the 120 gr ttsx at 3150 fps out of a 20" barrel. And quite accurately too, I know the groups would be even tighter if I could do a better job.
869be70fe2a714590519266747f4ae4a.jpg

What experiences are you guys that have used the Kimber Mtn Ascent or Adirnodack having ? Any range reports at 4-500 meters or field experiences worthy of discussion. Both of these interest me BUT I have no experience with a 308 rifle being that light. I have owned a Rem model 700 SPS with bull barrel (shot accurate stock at 500 meters no problem ) and a BAR 270 which both weight more. I wonder how the adirondack does with the 18 inch barrel ? Thanks

Take-a-knee

Banned
If a Tikka T3 Superlite is "too-heavy", you need a barbell and a copy of Rippetoe's "Starting Strength", not a lighter rifle.

The last issue of the American Rifleman has a write-up on the Kimber Adirondack, complete with its unimpressive accuracy.

Stid2677

WKR
What experiences are you guys that have used the Kimber Mtn Ascent or Adirnodack having ? Any range reports at 4-500 meters or field experiences worthy of discussion. Both of these interest me BUT I have no experience with a 308 rifle being that light. I have owned a Rem model 700 SPS with bull barrel (shot accurate stock at 500 meters no problem ) and a BAR 270 which both weight more. I wonder how the adirondack does with the 18 inch barrel ? Thanks

I have a couple Kimber Mountain Ascents, one in 280AI and the other in 30-06. The 30-06 is the better shooter of the 2, but both are sub moa. My wife and I have both killed game at over 400 yards and I have killed out to 522 yards backing up another hunter.

When the 6.5 Adirondack hits the street, I will try one.

IMGP4196_zpsd362e315.jpg

Wife's Ram,, 4222 yards, 280AI

IMGP4230_zps7c3c9848.jpg

My Ram

P8100148_zps282f0a4a.jpg

Couple goats shot at LR.

PA010799_zps6b5ce655.jpg

PA080135_zps696c1095.jpg

Kimber makes a lot of rifle for the money,, they had issues when they first got popular back around 2005, 2006 or so. They seemed to have gotten things back online and I have not heard much negative lately.

Having seen my share of poor shooters,, I reserve my rifle reviews to folks I know and trust.

I have used my Kimbers for the last 3 years and will be again packing my 06 into the sheep hills.

P6090009_zpsr6zonvw1.jpg

Steve

Take-a-knee

Banned
Kimber makes a lot of rifle for the money,, they had issues when they first got popular back around 2005, 2006 or so. They seemed to have gotten things back online and I have not heard much negative lately.

Having seen my share of poor shooters,, I reserve my rifle reviews to folks I know and trust.

Steve

I had one that had serious issues, a 7/08 made in 09. Poor feeding, action binding on magazine, front scope screw holes tapped too deep, the barrel looked like a gravel road through a borescope. The crown was HORRIBLE under a 10x loupe. The guy I sold it to (with all known problems disclosed) was a "kimber mechanic" and finally got it to shoot 1.5MOA consistently.

I can tell you horror stories about Kimber customer service. I also know a couple of gun dealers who won't carry any of their firearms for that reason. Their 1911's have the same spotty track record, IE, some great but a LOT of guns with issues and they won't fix 'em.

Having said that, I LOVE the ergs of the Kimber stock, and might buy another Montana used, IF I could shoot it first.

A Kimber Montana is like that HOT red-headed stripper with thumb-sized nipples, very appealing package but maybe not your best move. A Tikka Superlite is like that homely girl who will wake you with it in her hand and then cook you a great breakfast.

As for my shooting ability, I can email you a picture of a SOTIC honor grad plaque with my name on it.

Stid2677

WKR
I had one that had serious issues, a 7/08 made in 09. Poor feeding, action binding on magazine, front scope screw holes tapped too deep, the barrel looked like a gravel road through a borescope. The crown was HORRIBLE under a 10x loupe. The guy I sold it to (with all known problems disclosed) was a "kimber mechanic" and finally got it to shoot 1.5MOA consistently.

I can tell you horror stories about Kimber customer service. I also know a couple of gun dealers who won't carry any of their firearms for that reason. Their 1911's have the same spotty track record, IE, some great but a LOT of guns with issues and they won't fix 'em.

Having said that, I LOVE the ergs of the Kimber stock, and might buy another Montana used, IF I could shoot it first.

A Kimber Montana is like that HOT red-headed stripper with thumb-sized nipples, very appealing package but maybe not your best move. A Tikka Superlite is like that homely girl who will wake you with it in her hand and then cook you a great breakfast.

As for my shooting ability, I can email you a picture of a SOTIC honor grad plaque with my name on it.

Trust me, when I say I both believe you and have first hand experience the the Kimber CS folks. My first Kimber was from the bad years, 270WSM. Would not feed, sent back to Kimber and came back with the feed ramp polished and a huge chunk of the rail filed away. The bolt would snag on it every time I cycled the bolt... Left a bad taste in my mouth for sure,, even more so since I was mailing it back and worth from Alaska. But they made good and when the MA came out I decided to try again and both are good to go. Did have to tinker with the 280AI, but that same applies to most production rifles I have bought.

IMGP2034.jpg

IMGP2030.jpg

strictlyRUM

Lil-Rokslider
Still no comments on the latest Montana rifle company rifles? I've been eyeing the x2. I had heard they are much better than before dad bought it back from the kid. I do know they are putting out a lot more rifles now. Seems like a lot of gun for the money. I've built a few rifles on the old actions and got them to shoot but I screwed them together as they were just actions. I Trued up a couple before screwing them on a pipe cause they weren't the squarest actions on the block. I just don't have the shop anymore to do my own work so I am leary buying the whole thing from them. Man do I like the action though. It's the way Winchester should have done their bolt release.

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
Still no comments on the latest Montana rifle company rifles? I've been eyeing the x2. I had heard they are much better than before dad bought it back from the kid. I do know they are putting out a lot more rifles now. Seems like a lot of gun for the money. I've built a few rifles on the old actions and got them to shoot but I screwed them together as they were just actions. I Trued up a couple before screwing them on a pipe cause they weren't the squarest actions on the block. I just don't have the shop anymore to do my own work so I am leary buying the whole thing from them. Man do I like the action though. It's the way Winchester should have done their bolt release.

I don't know how they perform but my buddy ordered a rifle from MRC in January/February (somewhere around that time frame, I'd have to check with him) and they originally gave him a completion date in June. No rifle. He has called multiple times to check in and they continue to say they are backed up with work and don't have a completion date for him anymore. I would be prepared for a long wait. They do look like nice rifles for the money if you can get one.

Thanks for the feedback. Stid, impressive photos and shots man. Are you using the muzzlebrake or have any opinions on it ? Thanks guys

Stid2677

WKR
Thanks for the feedback. Stid, impressive photos and shots man. Are you using the muzzlebrake or have any opinions on it ? Thanks guys

I use the brakes,, not really for recoil, but to control muzzle flip on such light rifles for follow up shots. I get better accuracy with the brakes installed, I tried with off and got much better groups with the brakes installed.

Light rifles shoot different than a heavy rifle,, at least I had to really practice a lot and concentrate on form.

Thanks again for all the experience shared. I am seriously considering a Kimber MTN rifle. Have a great independence day guys !

Take-a-knee

Banned
Thanks again for all the experience shared. I am seriously considering a Kimber MTN rifle.

Go into it with both eyes open then. You will LOVE the rifle, if'n its a shooter. If it isn't, send it to Pacnor for a new barrel. If you are not braced for that eventuality, then get a Tikka Superlite, ESP if you are considering a long action, the difference in weight between the LA Kimber and the Superlite isn't much.

Also, another possibility if you are considering a long-action is to find an old Colt Light Rifle and send it to Melvin Forbes for a new stock/trigger and maybe barrel. Basically a NULA for half or so of a new one.

Yeah. I hope all the inconsistencies are worked out bye now . It would really suck to get a sexy new rifle, have nice optics mounted, and it not function as it should. Thanks for all the info guys .

Stid2677

WKR
Just finally figured out my ghost misfire issue. After I pretty much eliminated everything I could think of, I got Kimber to send me 2 new firing pin springs. For both my Mountain Ascents. Both would misfire every once in a while.

Here is the old and new springs, the new ones are over an inch longer.

3b815160418eb0dc31e59cf32a5ccd71.jpg

Daniel_M

WKR
Just finally figured out my ghost misfire issue. After I pretty much eliminated everything I could think of, I got Kimber to send me 2 new firing pin springs. For both my Mountain Ascents. Both would misfire every once in a while.

Here is the old and new springs, the new ones are over an inch longer.

3b815160418eb0dc31e59cf32a5ccd71.jpg

Steve that's an interesting issue. I was at the range last month and had 4 factory loads that didn't fire. I chalked it up to the ammo, but your post here makes me wonder.

strictlyRUM

Lil-Rokslider
Well I pulled the trigger sort of speak on the Montana Rifle Company extreme X2 in 26 nosler. Since I wanted this for my hunt this year I had to find one on the shelf. This was the caliber that intrigued me the most of what they had. I ordered up some brass, dies, and 142 nosler long range accubonds also. I will report back what I come up with.

Jason