Best non custom mountain rifle

strictlyRUM

Lil-Rokslider
Well my Montana Rifle Company X2 came in and I must say...... This newer generation of Montana is by FAR better than the past. Fit and finish is superb. Handles well. Pretty lite for a long action 26 in barreled lazer. I took it out real quick to get a zero and put a group on paper to ease my nerves and it printed two .7-.8 groups. Not bad for throwing in one load and no seating depth changes. That was with bergers and us869 which in my experiences are the two most finicky componants I have used. I would have to say I am pretty happy with the results of my gamble. I ordered their magnum mag box with a 3.65 oal to replace the 3.4 they sell with the rifle. I will clean it and see where the lands are and try a few things to pull that group together.

Jason

jack88

Lil-Rokslider
I'll chime in on the Montana X2. I bought one this spring in 280AI. So far it is a 140gr TTSX laser beam. Smallest group so far has been a 5 shot 0.4" group with only 4 holes to show on that group. It has been sub MOA out to 300 so far, being the longest distance at our local range. Tight! It will be staying around for a long time.

boom

WKR
I'll chime in on the Montana X2. I bought one this spring in 280AI. So far it is a 140gr TTSX laser beam. Smallest group so far has been a 5 shot 0.4" group with only 4 holes to show on that group. It has been sub MOA out to 300 so far, being the longest distance at our local range. Tight! It will be staying around for a long time.

280 ackley?

stevenm2

Lil-Rokslider
I am very fond of my Mdl. 7 in 300 wsm. mine is an xcr with fluted barrel they only made them a year or so. around 2007

Just finally figured out my ghost misfire issue. After I pretty much eliminated everything I could think of, I got Kimber to send me 2 new firing pin springs. For both my Mountain Ascents. Both would misfire every once in a while.

Here is the old and new springs, the new ones are over an inch longer.

3b815160418eb0dc31e59cf32a5ccd71.jpg

I had misfire issues with a used Kimber Montana 7mm-08 a few years back (18,--- Serial Number range). Kimber did not fix the issue when it was sent in. My local gunsmith put in a stiffer firing pin spring he had in stock ($40) and totally solved the problem. It also made the bolt lift cocking the firing pin quite a bit stiffer versus the original spring which required very low effort. I have had zero issues with the .338 Fed or .223 Montanas, so obviously not all springs are weak......just some of them. If your Kimber CF ever has a misfire, or your bolt lift (and closure) is really light, consider a new firing pin spring as cheap insurance. Maybe Kimber will send you the spring.....but fix it before it becomes an issue.

Dinger

WKR
Quote Originally Posted by Stid2677 View Post
Just finally figured out my ghost misfire issue. After I pretty much eliminated everything I could think of, I got Kimber to send me 2 new firing pin springs. For both my Mountain Ascents. Both would misfire every once in a while.

Here is the old and new springs, the new ones are over an inch longer.

I had misfire issues with a used Kimber Montana 7mm-08 a few years back (18,--- Serial Number range). Kimber did not fix the issue when it was sent in. My local gunsmith put in a stiffer firing pin spring he had in stock ($40) and totally solved the problem. It also made the bolt lift cocking the firing pin quite a bit stiffer versus the original spring which required very low effort. I have had zero issues with the .338 Fed or .223 Montanas, so obviously not all springs are weak......just some of them. If your Kimber CF ever has a misfire, or your bolt lift (and closure) is really light, consider a new firing pin spring as cheap insurance. Maybe Kimber will send you the spring.....but fix it before it becomes an issue.

I had an Ascent in 308 that had the same issue. A replacement spring (larger unit) sent to me by Kimber reduced the misfire frequency, but didn't solve it altogether. I returned the rifle to the Australian importer for a full no questions asked refund. It wasn't the only Ascent they had a problem with. This rifle was purchased new in early 2013. I dearly loved that little rifle.

Cheers,

Dinger

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
Savage now offers their light weight hunter in stainless steel and composit stock. Being a savage guy myself I was thinking of getting one, online they seem to be going for less than $600.

Anyone have any feedback on them yet? At 5.65lbs looks like a killer bargain.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Savage now offers their light weight hunter in stainless steel and composit stock. Being a savage guy myself I was thinking of getting one, online they seem to be going for less than $600.

Anyone have any feedback on them yet? At 5.65lbs looks like a killer bargain.

I want one in 260 Rem.....just cause...:)

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
That's the caliber I want it in too, and they don't offer it in stainless right now...

Annoying because they do offer it in the non stainless LWH.

I know the second I buy one in a 243 or 7mm-08 they will roll it out.

SFras

FNG
Gentlemen,

New to the forum, been creeping for a while now. About to move up to Alaska and looking for a lightweight rifle. I have heard a little about the Howa Alpine Mountain Rifle. has anyone on here had any experience with these?

Browning "Speed" A-bolt is certainly something to look at. Lots of calibers available.

Ranger04

FNG
My Tikka T3 Lite in 30-06 is one of the most accurate guns I have owned. Gun with a Leupold VXIII 3.5x10 weighs 7 lbs. I shoot a Barnes 168gr. TTSX. Sub MOA at 100 yards. I would recommend Tikka's to anyone. I looked at a lot of rifles but I could not see spending to more money on the rifle to save a few onces and not gain any better accuracy. The pictures are from last years hunts.

Attachments

• Vias Hydro Dip.jpg
    Vias Hydro Dip.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 409
  • 2015 Mule Deer.jpg
    2015 Mule Deer.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 379
  • 2015 Elk.jpg
    2015 Elk.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
May have contributed on this before, but for the money and accuracy tough to beat the tikka.. I run the 7mm with a leupold 3x9 and ballistic dots...still shooting great with 13 seasons under its belt and unknown miles and abuse..in fact the grip pad on the stock is starting to wear off after packing it so much :) its latest victim at a far poke and serious climb

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
my Model 70 .30-06 Featherweight, topped with a 2x7 Varix II weighs just over 7#, not too shabby with a wood stock

factoryweight_zpsf41qx3wx.jpg

02sedona

FNG
After getting back into hunting this season and using my 1940 win m70 sporter 30-06 on a black bear and mule deer. I was ready for a lighter gun for hiking around the Sierras. I recently purchased a stainless Savage lightweight hunter in 6.5 creedmore and a stainless tikka t3x superlight in 300 win mag. I figured that these would round out the collection pretty well. And help keep the weight down for handling. Most of my hunts are done with rifle in hand.

After getting back into hunting this season and using my 1940 win m70 sporter 30-06 on a black bear and mule deer. I was ready for a lighter gun for hiking around the Sierras. I recently purchased a stainless Savage lightweight hunter in 6.5 creedmore and a stainless tikka t3x superlight in 300 win mag. I figured that these would round out the collection pretty well. And help keep the weight down for handling. Most of my hunts are done with rifle in hand.

Why didn't you just take that old outdated M70 and just cut several inches off the barrel, get the action skeletonized, barrel fluted, cerakote the rest of the barrel and action, trash that heavy wood stock and replace with a nice synthetic stock? Kidding, just kidding of course. Although, I have heard/seen folks do this type of thing, and it just kills me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

02sedona

FNG
Why didn't you just take that old outdated M70 and just cut several inches off the barrel, get the action skeletonized, barrel fluted, cerakote the rest of the barrel and action, trash that heavy wood stock and replace with a nice synthetic stock? Kidding, just kidding of course. Although, I have heard/seen folks do this type of thing, and it just kills me

Ha, my grandfather (he has passed on) who gave me the rifle would comeback and haunt me if I did that. I want to keep it they way he gave it to me. It has a pachmayr low swing scope mount and a weaver 2.5x scope for woods hunting, for when the iron sights are not enough.

mnnowak

FNG
I carry Sako 85 Finnlight in 270 WSM for sheep and caribou. My wife has a Kimber Montana in 280 AI. Her's is lighter and only 1.5 oz heavier than a Kimber Mt Ascent and $600 cheaper plus she had the stock painted to her liking.