Best Non Fiction Mountain Man Books

As the title says. In the market for a real good long read on The topic. In addition what is the better Jim Bridger account, I know there are a bunch.

You guys are top notch 👌

Been getting most of my book ideas from
frontier-partisans.com. But thought I’d entice the slide. An outdoor minded feller could spend hours on that site.

Narrative of the Adventures of Zenas Leonard

Journal of a Trapper by Osbourne Russell

Undaunted Courage by Ambrose (it’s about the Lewis and Clark expedition)

John Colter and his time in the Rockies

Just to name a few

Mountain Man by David Marshall. It's about John colter. One of my favorite books ever.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

A Life Wild and Perilous by Robert Utley is a good survey of the mountain man era.

On Bridger specifically, Stanley Vestal's Jim Bridger: Mountain Man has been recommended to me. I have a copy but haven't read it yet.

Some of the above are great recommendations, for a general overview of several Tom Miranda’s Master Trappers is a fun read

Crow killer was good. True story of Jeremiah Johnson.
I also second Alaska's Wolfman. Favorite book of all time.
This is the second time that I saw some refer to Crow Killer as non-fiction. I'm pretty sure it is fiction.

This is the second time that I saw some refer to Crow Killer as non-fiction. I'm pretty sure it is fiction.
Well...it's both...sorta. It has many facts about his life and most accounts of actions were retold by fellow trappers etc. So...it's non fiction based on hearsay so to speak.

If you like non fiction, these are some of my favs:

Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose
Blood and Thunder by Hampton Sides
In the Kingdom of Ice by Hampton Sides
On Desperate Ground by Hampton Sides
Labyrinth of Ice by Buddy Levy
In the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick
The Jim Corbett Omnibus by Jim Corbett (this collection of stories is especially interesting. He hunts man eating tigers and leopards and had balls of steel)

Last edited:
Back