Looking for a custom knife maker recommendation

Littlewolf Ironworks
We had Cody at Littlewolf Ironworks make a knife to gift my moose pilot last year. It turned out beautiful and he keeps it in his plane for a survival style knife. My hunting partner was also using a LWI knife on last year's hunt and it was a pretty and effective set up.

I've never seen it, but I guess he was a winning blacksmith on Forged in Fire about a year ago. His work can be found on all the socials. I'm no expert, but I feel like he makes some very nice pieces.

NDGuy

WKR
We had Cody at Littlewolf Ironworks make a knife to gift my moose pilot last year. It turned out beautiful and he keeps it in his plane for a survival style knife. My hunting partner was also using a LWI knife on last year's hunt and it was a pretty and effective set up.

I've never seen it, but I guess he was a winning blacksmith on Forged in Fire about a year ago. His work can be found on all the socials. I'm no expert, but I feel like he makes some very nice pieces.
Cody is the man for sure. I'd like to stop at his shop sometime.

ZipsNLbs

FNG
There are lots of folks out there making nice custom knives. Dan will do customs and makes some interesting damascus patterns and does some real nice file work (e.g., arrows on the knife spine, etc.).
www.dennhandmade.com
I also would like to recommend Dan Denn !! I use to work with him . He is a top notch person and makes knives of the same quality !!! I’m lucky to have 3 knifes he made for me and every year I use them on deer . Can’t speak enough about them
-Tom

wildcat33

WKR
I would go to Rick Menefee over most listed in this thread for a real working hunting knife. Dan crotts a close second.

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
Rocco Handmade...he works for Jim Treeman

378777428_638305344950673_6666176983306678521_n.jpg

To name a few in no particular order
Winkler
Charles May Knives
Semper Sharp
Vorn Knives
Gene Ingram (if you can find them)
Lucas Forge
Wayne Walker Knives
Robert Erickson (Erickson Knifeworks)
Wenger Blades
Wilburn Forge (MasterSmith)
Montana Knife Company
Gentry Custom Knives
Horsewright knives
Littlewolf Ironworks
Wolf River Forge (has partnered with Littlewolf in the past)

Tyler Hackbarth is the owner/operator and combat veteran. He's also a 2-time Forged in Fire winner. Tyler center and Cody right...

310984530_529258405870878_2148858557338485627_n.jpg

279834010_1687808274906570_4961839832370423689_n.jpg

NDGuy

WKR
As the title says, I’m looking for a great knife maker for an heirloom quality knife that will be used and hunted with.

I’m not too concerned on price as this is for my brother in law who has helped me through a pretty tough year. What I would like to do is get in touch with the maker, pre-pay for the knife or do a gift card, get my bro in law on the wait list and let him pick out his perfect knife.

This won’t be for a collection so I really don’t want to “pay for a name” but instead want a quality knife with some nice customization options. I know there are a ton of good ones out there!
If you don't want to wait...

OP
Kindo

Kindo

WKR
Thanks for the replies everyone! I have reached out to a few of the makers listed above and just waiting to hear back from them.

I'm currently debating whether I let him pick out a custom knife and wait 1-2 years or do I just find him a nice one and order it up. The problem with the latter is that then I seem to find a knife or two that I really like myself...

Look on the Aldeer forum and reach out to a guy with the handle "Skullworks"
Prattville, AL I believe.
Beautiful work and does Damscus

Post pics up with whatever you get

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
The question that hasn't been asked is if you are looking for stainless, high carbon, damascus etc. Many times we can make the blade from a set number of layers or a pattern that has significance. I make them with biblical themes, layers equal to a certain year/date, etc. Most makers being suggested will specialize in a particular type of blade material that would at the very least separate stock removal guys from those of us who do hand forging.

EZduzIT

Lil-Rokslider
Hatfield knives. You can find on Facebook where he posts custom knives periodically. You can also request a custom knife and turn around is a few weeks I believe. I’ve processed antelope and multiple deer in a row without sharpening. Comes with a beautiful leather sheath.

logem

FNG
I have been making custom hunting knives at a slow pace for about 13 years, primarily as a hobby since I really don't make beans from my work considering the cost of materials and time put into each knife. I utilize the stock removal method and use high end stainless blade steels, exotic wood or micarta/G-10 scales, and usually include filework and custom fitted and tooled leather sheaths. I do not do commissioned work; I make what I like and sell them as is.

I only have one hunting knife available at the moment. I'm working on five more but these will take months to finish. It is a Bob Loveless style hunter. My webpage with photos and specs for this knife is located here, Knife 0043. I really need to get some better photographs. The photos do not do it justice.

If you are generally interested, my website is www.logiudicecustomknives.com. To view my other work, you can visit my Gallery.

Type:Drop Point Utility Hunter, Bob Loveless Style
Overall length8-1/8 inches
Blade length3-5/8 inches
Blade steelHand ground CPM 154 stainless steel, flat grind, 600/800 grit

20230915_091342.jpg

20230915_092415.jpg

If interested, PM me.

Mike L.

OP
Kindo

Kindo

WKR
Kindo ( op) you decide ? How long till you get it ?
Well, as some had previously noted, many of these guys are hard to get a hold of. I am currently 0/5 in responses to calls/emails about putting in orders.

Not too dissimilar to my experience with Charles May a few years ago. Sent an email regarding getting on his wait list with no response and then he called me a year and a half later saying I’m next up! Getting ahold of knife makers is about like trying to get ahold of masons for concrete work!

mioduz

FNG
just a FYI when shopping around for this kind of work. Anyone that can promise to make you something inside of 4-6 months is likely not worth the money. The skills required to make a functional peice of art take years to hone and the guys that are good will have extremely long lead times. just my experience