Best Phone Digiscoping Adapters 2023, By Matt Cashell

AKDoc

WKR
Thank you for posting Matt's review. I'm heading in the digiscoping direction and just beginning to look at adaptors, so it was well timed for me.

It was a very interesting read and very well done...it gave me an clearer perspective of various comparative factors across numerous adapter models. Thank you Matt!

Moss

FNG
Very good review. I own the Novagrade double gripper, Phone Skope, and Olin systems. Olin is my clear winner. I haven't used or seen in action the others mentioned. With the first two I owned I spent too much time aligning the camera. With the Olin, I spent a lot of time watching bears... and elk... and goats... and deer... and a lot more bears.

Spot on about A++ rating for Ollin - nothing to quibble with on that. Great job.

I simply like it the most because it’s “snap-on and use”. Nothing more - nothing less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elnicko

WKR
Any input on which would be best with a BTX? Seems like the Magview bino adapter or Ollin would be easiest.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any input on which would be best with a BTX? Seems like the Magview bino adapter or Ollin would be easiest.
Anything staying on one of the eyepieces makes it less comfortable to use.

On a single eye piece they are hardly noticeable but with dual eye pieces most people I know like to remove the adaptor when not in use

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I use Ollin on BTX - adapter goes on the eyepiece if I want to grab photo or vid - then it goes back off when done.

Moss

FNG
I used the Olin, Phone Skope, and Novagrade exclusively on my BTX. The Olin works great. I removed the Olin quickly and easily after each use or when we were on the move. Pops on and pops off with a little effort. Always set the Olin logo at the top center of either eyepiece and the phone will self-align immediately. You can use your phone either vertically or horizontally.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Spot on about A++ rating for Ollin - nothing to quibble with on that. Great job.

I simply like it the most because it’s “snap-on and use”. Nothing more - nothing less.

Yep, the Ollin was just the fastest and easiest option. The others have their advantages in some areas, but nothing is faster or easier to use than the Ollin.

The Guide

WKR
I got the Phone Skope brand because it allows me to use a GoPro on it instead of my phone. I used a phone before but now I look at the phone screen to see what the GoPro is looking at. I can take pictures and videos without shaking the system and I can leave the GoPro filming while I use my phone for getting my dope or for a 2nd angle while filming.

Jay

Moss

FNG
I got the Phone Skope brand because it allows me to use a GoPro on it instead of my phone. I used a phone before but now I look at the phone screen to see what the GoPro is looking at. I can take pictures and videos without shaking the system and I can leave the GoPro filming while I use my phone for getting my dope or for a 2nd angle while filming.

Jay
I like the Go Pro idea while using your phone for dope. I carry a phone specifically for digiscoping because it has a 200mp camera and have my everyday Galaxy fold for other uses.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm also on the cusp of getting into digiscoping (should have done it before my Brooks trip dammit!)- this helps a bunch, Thanks!

Great job. Ollin user here. Simple and works as it should. Only wish you didn’t have to get a case for each phone. Minor complaint.

Fantastic review. Despite its cost, the Olin seems like the one to beat. Unfortunately for me, my spotter (Vortex 11-33 baby razor) isn’t supported by them. So I opted for the ScopeCam mag plate version as it seemed like the Goldilocks, reasonably stable and repeatable positioning, quick detaching, yada yada.

I received it in the mail. While I haven’t had a chance to use it in the field, mounting it to a variety of optics from my spotter to my binos to even my telescope eyepieces it is really flexible and universal. It is also a seriously high quality piece of metal machining. I have no doubt that in freezing cold conditions it will hold up well.

twall13

WKR
Great comparison. Your pros and cons pretty much line up with mine. I've settled on the ScopeCam for my use. It's very versatile and pretty quick. Not as quick as some of the others listed, but better than some I've used. What I really like about it is that I can use it with my binos, my Kowa 554 and my Kowa 883 without issue and they all line up immediately once I mount the phone to them. That and the fact that it's easy and cheap to fit to a new phone when I upgrade every couple of years. It's just a good balance of features, versatility, cost, and weight. The Ollin system looks incredible, but It's phone and optic specific, costs a lot, and doesn't even have my phone as an option. I'm sure it's a pleasure to use, but it isn't quite as versatile as the ScopeCam.

Great comparison. Your pros and cons pretty much line up with mine. I've settled on the ScopeCam for my use. It's very versatile and pretty quick. Not as quick as some of the others listed, but better than some I've used. What I really like about it is that I can use it with my binos, my Kowa 554 and my Kowa 883 without issue and they all line up immediately once I mount the phone to them. That and the fact that it's easy and cheap to fit to a new phone when I upgrade every couple of years. It's just a good balance of features, versatility, cost, and weight. The Ollin system looks incredible, but It's phone and optic specific, costs a lot, and doesn't even have my phone as an option. I'm sure it's a pleasure to use, but it isn't quite as versatile as the ScopeCam.
Thanks to this review I also picked up the ScopeCam with the mag plate since Olin doesn’t make an adapter for my spotter (Vortex Razor 11-33x50). Super happy with it. Took it out on Friday night and was able to test it out at last light. Easy and fast to attach, intuitive to lock down. High quality machining. Versatile enough for me to even use on my telescope eyepieces. Big fan.

IMG_7609.jpeg

pirogue

WKR
Great review by Matt. I don’t have any experience with the others, but I would like to add that the additional phone plate, referenced in the Magview notes, is billed as “wireless charging”, and allows wireless charging on my IPhone 15, through my Otterbox case and setting in the wireless charging tray in my GM vehicle.