best simple tarp for the money

jtw

WKR
I'm looking for a square tarp at least 8x8 thats lightweight and packs small. I've used shaped tarps but I want a square tarp for versatility. Id like plenty of web loops.
It'll be used mainly as an emergency shelter, but also as rain tarp.
Anyone have something theyve used and like?

I haven't used a lot of different kinds, so my opinion regarding that doesn't mean much. What I would suggest you do is, decide what material you want, i.e., cuben fiber or silnylon, then start looking at all of the manufacturers, which there are a lot of, out there and go from there. For cuben fiber, it has been my experience that HMG is the best built tarp on the market, but they are pricey and, like I said, I haven't seen what everybody has to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

jtw

WKR
I'm definitely looking more at silnylon. Cuben's weight is jawdropping, but I cant justify those prices. Thanks for your suggestions. The bearpaws looks about what Im looking for.

MtnManZ

Lil-Rokslider
Chinook tarp...under $50 on Amazon. PU coated and taped. Not silnylon, but for an emergency tarp, why pay a lot of money?

kickemall

WKR
Take a look in Bearpaws bargain bin. They have some tarps and the prices are hard to beat. I have some Oware seconds tarps and highly recommend them but don't see the seconds on their web site anymore. I didn't look at how many tie outs Bearpaw has but Oware puts lots on theirs, more than I usually use.

oldgoat

WKR
This is my first year using tarps I have one flat one and one shaped one from Jimmy Tarps. The flat one is rectangular not square though but I imagine he'd make you one. I've been very pleased with them, they both held up to some pretty good gusty winds. I elk hunted 14 days this season and used one are the other or both in some fashion every day.