"Best" sleeping bag

WM makes an extremely nice bag and I'm very pleased with mine. The Marmot Plasma has a solid history too and if you could find a deal on one, I wouldn't hesitate to grab one. I've used Feathered Friends, Marmot, Mtn. HW, and a bunch of other high end bags and for me, my favorite is the WM so far. It doesn't have treated down, but I've never needed a treated down sleeping bag in over 20 years of outdoor and wilderness travels.

DaveC

WKR
Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends. Everything else is at least a solid step down in quality. A 15 degree bag with a good hood and full draft color will be much warmer than a quilt without a hood.

I don't think the GWS is worth the added weight and cost over the microfiber shell. I've had an Antelope MF for over a decade, and with appropriate clothing I take it down to -20F without fear.

Mjm316

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for feathered friends. Great customer service as well. If you don't see a bag on there site call and ask. They may very well have it or can add down to a bag to get what you want.

PJG

WKR
Western Mountaineering, everything else is a step below.

Tried a 15F super spiral last year , was glad I sold it. For me anyway and compared to Western Mountaineering the temp rating is at least 15 degrees off, I would not rate it a 30F bag.

Currently trying out the new Kifaru center zip, lots of things I like about it, but doesn't seem to breath as well as the Western Mountaineering.

jlsteel

FNG
Very happy with my WM Kodiak in MF. Had it down to 5 degrees and still very warm. Bags is not claustrophobic either

I had a Western Mountaineering Highlite and couldn't sell it fast enough after using it on a high country mule deer hunt in Colorado. I've since swapped over to Big Agnes bags. I came to the conclusion I cannot get comfortable in a mummy bag. I'm a side and stomach sleeper and I prefer the Big Agnes bags due to the wider foot box and the built in pad sleeve. These are extremely important features to me in a bag now. I pay a weight penalty but I sleep better.

Western Mountaineering, everything else is a step below.

Tried a 15F super spiral last year , was glad I sold it. For me anyway and compared to Western Mountaineering the temp rating is at least 15 degrees off, I would not rate it a 30F bag.

Currently trying out the new Kifaru center zip, lots of things I like about it, but doesn't seem to breath as well as the Western Mountaineering.

Like the OP said, very subjective topic. My 35deg WM bag leaves me cold if it gets near 40.

LostArra

WKR
I've been happy with WM Badger but I have limited comparisons. My friend loaned me his badger and I bought one.
Only other ones I've used are an REI Mojave which worked ok if the weather stayed mild and a Cats Meow (too confining).

GotDraw?

WKR
Mine are Sierra Design 30, Mountain Hardware Phantom 15 degree (love it- it's my main bag), older Northface -20. Sierra sleeps cold, Mountain Hardward is solid at 15 degrees (been in it at 13), my 30+ year old Northface -20 has been toasty as low as +5 degrees (the coldest I've tried it).

My brother has an ultra light 900 fill (I believe) Marmot Lithium 0 degree, with a Pertex outer membrane shell. Bag is great, he loves it.

Keep one thing in mind: If the bag you select has any sort of a membrane outer shell, then it will be a PITA to dry whenever you wash it. I spent easily 6 hours doing 6 bags simultaneously a couple months ago. The Marmot with the membrane shell was hell to dry, it was the last bag by far out of they drier since only one side really breathed well enough to let the down dry.

I thought I'd be in the Laundromat for EVER.

JL

Last edited:

buttekid

Lil-Rokslider
I faced the same dilemma about a year ago and finally settled on the Feathered Friends. I've been very happy with it.

MattB

WKR
Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends. Everything else is at least a solid step down in quality. A 15 degree bag with a good hood and full draft color will be much warmer than a quilt without a hood.

It's warmer everywhere but on the internet.

I have a WM bag that is over 10 years old and is still doing great. In comparison to a Montbell I have....there is no comparison quality-wise.

hodgeman

WKR
I've got a WM Badger....long. Love the room, I can sleep on my side no problems and it's one of the very few bags I've used that is comfortable right down to the rating.

Well worth every penny. Buy quality and only cry once.

Picked up a North Face Blue Kazoo 15 paired with a BA q-core on steep and cheap three years ago.

Not the lightest setup I have seen but it has not let me down. Very warm and plenty of room and if you look around you can get both at a "reasonable" price.