Best tripod head for spotter

The VA-5 is great value for money, and is all I'll ever need, mounted to a modified Bog Pod CLD-35 tripod. For a window mount, I went with an RRS BPC-16 microball w/ pan on a simple cheap window clamp. The BPC-16 is only rated to 5#, but my spotter weighs just 28oz.

I’m curious if you’ve tried the Outdoorsmans fluid head?
i would just find it hard to put a multi-thousand $$ optic on top of a made in China 🇨🇳 Head.
I have both. The OD is a jump up in size with a big jump in stability. It’s a jump quality wise as well. For a hunter with big optics it’s the best head I’ve ever used as far as stability to weight. It’s a fantastic head. I’ve used VH-10’s and Manfrotto MVH-502AH’s too. As a hunter I’d choose the OD FH over those for big optics. I’ll add I rarely use the VA-5 anymore. It’s a great head but more of a backup in the truck.

I’m still torn. I’m trying to be as light as possible, but would really like something that I can grow with. I’ve been looking at some of the RRS stuff. I have the wiser third leg tripod setup for backpacking; still looking for a head for that system. Not in the budget to get two setups now, so I need a head that can pull double duty.

Depends, best of the best would probably be outdoorsman's but two good ones that are a reasonable price are the promaster SPCH20 and the Sirui VA-5 I've had a go at both of these. They both have there ups and downs for example I think the promaster makes good use of its space, and the VA-5 is a bit more smoother.

Back