Budget tripod head for spotter?

satchamo

WKR
I have an Athlon Ares coming and I actually already have an innorel rtc90 tripod I use for my thermal rig. So my question is - what’s a good budget friendly head to throw on it for using with a spotter? Seems like a fluid head is the best option? But not sure brand/model with so many knock offs and/or Chinese brands with offerings out there.

Not sure what your budget is, but the Sirui VA-5 is hard to beat for quality at that price ($150-ish).

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
I have a small rig head. It was like $40 off Amazon and it is flawless for my needs. Running a spotter and 12's from it with a tricer attachment and a slik tripod.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, and speak with Joel (our resident tripod guru). He'll be glad to discuss options and opportunities with you

intunegp

WKR
If by budget you mean as cheap as possible, go with a SmallRig or MagicLine compact fluid head from Amazon. They may not be quite as nice as Sirui or some others, but are plenty functional and many people who start with these will probably never upgrade unless they go to a Wiser or Tricer for a more compact/lightweight setup.

OP
satchamo

satchamo

WKR
If by budget you mean as cheap as possible, go with a SmallRig or MagicLine compact fluid head from Amazon. They may not be quite as nice as Sirui or some others, but are plenty functional and many people who start with these will probably never upgrade unless they go to a Wiser or Tricer for a more compact/lightweight setup.

Yeah cheap is probably a better word - I’m not gonna be using a spotter all that often. It’s just for an upcoming antelope hunt.

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
I had a sirui head I got rid of it for a small rig
Yeah cheap is probably a better word - I’m not gonna be using a spotter all that often. It’s just for an upcoming antelope hunt.
I had a sirui head and got rid of it for a small rig. My cousin has a tricer and we put them head to head there is literally 0 difference other than weight. I may go with the tricer to save the 4 oz but to most ppl it doesn't matter. Most of my gear is the most expensive on the market and it makes sense to me for the little extra things I get out of them. The $40 small rig head is absolutely as good as a $200 head. You won't regret the small rig.