Best two radio?

Hey guys, wondering if people would have any recommendations for good two way radios? I know people that have the garmin rhino and none of them are impressed with them. I don’t want to pay for a gps subscription service and don’t really need gps with using onx. Let me know your thoughts !

Last edited:

packer58

WKR
Look at the Motorola's, i have the T4XX series and like them pretty good and reasonably priced.

BBob

WKR
just get a mobile ham- much better range and power
That^^^ A Baofeng or Yeasu UHF/VHF locked to a GMRS channel and set for 5W output will do way better than the cheap Motorola FRS types. You do need a free license to legally use a 5W GMRS radio though.

Edit: It’s actually $35 for a 10 year license if you want to legally use a radio with more than a 2W output.

Last edited:

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
That^^^ A Baofeng or Yeasu UHF/VHF locked to a GMRS channel and set for 5W output will do way better than the cheap Motorola FRS types. You do need a free license to legally use a 5W GMRS radio though.
What’s involved with getting the license? Which Baofeng model do you recommend for best distance/reliability?

We use Midland handhelds, I also have a base unit set up in my General. I’ve never been impressed with our Midland set up so I’m interested to hear of a better way.

BBob

WKR
What’s involved with getting the license?

It’s actually $35 for a 10 year license if you want to legally use a radio with more than a 2W output. I can’t remember the exact procedure since it’s been so long but it wasn’t hard. You’ll apply on the FCC website. See the Midland link below.

“Any radio using the shared FRS/GMRS frequencies that is able to transmit above 2 Watts of power was reclassified as GMRS only after the recent FCC Changes in September 2017. GMRS radios can be handhelds or in-unit mobile radios.”

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious about how that baofeng uv-5x compares to my handheld VHF that I have for boating? It seems that the VHF has a great range on the water but I haven't ever tried a walkie talkie out on the water. At moose camp we talked about trying the VHF radios but I'm the only one who has one and no one wanted to buy another one to try it! haha

scooter25

FNG
Any radio will work very well on water because there are normally no obstructions. It would technically be illegal to use your marine radio any other place than on a body of water. It would probably work as good as any similar handheld with the same power output though. It would be nice because most likely you wouldn't have to worry about any competing traffic as I doubt any else is using marine radios in the mountains. I like my UV-5X because it comes programed for GMRS and is compatible with all the other bubble pack FRS radios. Its also cheap, like $30. I think all new UV-5Rs sold now have the GMRS channels locked so you cant transmit on them. The main thing that limits a radio is the antenna. With FRS ones you can't change the antenna. With GMRS radios you can put a better antenna on it to help increase range and clarity.

fwafwow

WKR
What’s involved with getting the license? Which Baofeng model do you recommend for best distance/reliability?
Easy to find more info online - but there is a test and you have to study for it. I took mine during Covid from home, but they had several people watch me and two others take the test - using two sources of video feed for each of us - to guard against cheating. Now you may be able (or have) to go back to the normal procedure (taking it in person at a site).

There are multiple license levels (I believe 3). After I passed the first I was going to take another or both, but things slipped. And if your hunting buddies don’t also get a license, IMHO the license is of little or less value. Ymmv

fwafwow

WKR
Thanks for the correction. I saw "mobile ham" and focused on that (and I think "mobile ham" is not the same GMRS). I went down this path and for some reason I decided that the GMRS wasn't going to be sufficient for my needs, so I went with the ham license.

But assuming you are within range, two hunters using GMRS will work better than one with a ham and one without a ham license. :cool:

If you want super range, get the license for MGRS - otherwise. Rockie Talkie makes a no nonsense walkie talkie outta Colorado - used and did great this fall, but had limitations as do all dependent upon terrain.

Zoleo satellite was our go to when outta walkie talkie range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
just get a mobile ham- much better range and power
This!!! Just get a Ham radio... and then go take the minimal test that allows you to be an operator. Very inexpensive Baofung units that are about $50 a piece are nice and have WAY better range than any of the GMRS touted models.

Just need to remember to get an in-ear headphone/vox-mic though, so you're not broadcasting dead-air sounds when it occasionally goes above what you've set squelch limits to on the unit.

EDIT: with just the hand unit we were able to have my boy in my house in his bedroom, and I could talk with him in the truck until I got to about 1.28km (4200ft-ish) away from the house. And that's with all the building and electrical lines in-between!

Last edited:

Grady

FNG
Any radio will work very well on water because there are normally no obstructions. It would technically be illegal to use your marine radio any other place than on a body of water. It would probably work as good as any similar handheld with the same power output though. It would be nice because most likely you wouldn't have to worry about any competing traffic as I doubt any else is using marine radios in the mountains. I like my UV-5X because it comes programed for GMRS and is compatible with all the other bubble pack FRS radios. Its also cheap, like $30. I think all new UV-5Rs sold now have the GMRS channels locked so you cant transmit on them. The main thing that limits a radio is the antenna. With FRS ones you can't change the antenna. With GMRS radios you can put a better antenna on it to help increase range and clarity.
I've been looking into GMRS for communication while spot and stalk hunting in the southwest. I'm wondering just how much better if any the range is from frs. One location I hunt has a 10k footer with a repeater on it. I'm wondering how good they are compared to some Motorolas that are on frs which we use now. We get lots of static and or no signal when circling in on a stalk. Care to share your experience if you have any with gmrs vs. Frs?

rafiki

FNG
baofeng UV5R is inexpensive and works well. requires a decent level of understanding but what i like about it the most is that you can program channels with your computer and load them onto the radio. you need an amateur radio license to legally operate these.
midland GXT1030VP4 is a good GMRS option - you need a license for these too but as others have said, you just pay the fee and it covers the use of these radios for you and your family. haven't tested these compared to FRS handhelds extensively but do notice they are considerably better than the mid range motorola radios i've used

ni7ne

FNG
One bonus to ham is that you leave the option open to run your own "cross band repeat" station -- handhelds can hit a vehicle-mounted radio with a big antenna parked within a few km that will re-broadcast over a bigger hop.

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
If you want super range, get the license for MGRS - otherwise. Rockie Talkie makes a no nonsense walkie talkie outta Colorado - used and did great this fall, but had limitations as do all dependent upon terrain.

Zoleo satellite was our go to when outta walkie talkie range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just sprang for the new Rocky Talkie 5w radio for when I hunt and two Mountain Radio for my wife and son when we ski. The durability and weight were the selling points for me.