Big Buddy problems

rclouse79

WKR
I did an overnight ice fishing trip with the kids this weekend. We were thinking about a second night, but the buddy heater started acting up. This is my second season with it, running it off a 20 lb propane tank with the Mr. heater brand hose and fuel filter. This was the first trip with a new filter I bought for the new season. It fired right up and ran great 24 hours on low, medium or high. After that it started going out randomly. I had to turn the propane knob to just open to get it to light from pilot. If I tried turning up the propane at the tank or switch the buddy heater to high to light both elements it would go out. I made sure multiple windows were open, so we had plenty of oxygen. I also made sure it was still level.
I was thinking about trying a new filter, but I don’t think that is the issue since this was the first trip with a new filter. I also thought about running it with no filter until it clogs and then just buy a new one. Wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas.

I've seen 3 of the big buddy's catch fire due to a leak in the gas line. Two of my own and one friend's. All 3 were internal leaks, not the external hose. I have also owned 3 of the standard buddy's for over 10 years and have had no issues. The last one that caught fire was flickering like it was starved for gas before catching fire. Not saying this is the problem but many have had issues with that model.

I did an overnight ice fishing trip with the kids this weekend. We were thinking about a second night, but the buddy heater started acting up. This is my second season with it, running it off a 20 lb propane tank with the Mr. heater brand hose and fuel filter. This was the first trip with a new filter I bought for the new season. It fired right up and ran great 24 hours on low, medium or high. After that it started going out randomly. I had to turn the propane knob to just open to get it to light from pilot. If I tried turning up the propane at the tank or switch the buddy heater to high to light both elements it would go out. I made sure multiple windows were open, so we had plenty of oxygen. I also made sure it was still level.
I was thinking about trying a new filter, but I don’t think that is the issue since this was the first trip with a new filter. I also thought about running it with no filter until it clogs and then just buy a new one. Wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas.
Hows your pilot flame look? Nice blue flame or does it look like a bic lighter?

I've had to take mine apart an clean it out several times. Spider webs, other misc debris can build up in there and cause all kinds of issues.
Every time after cleaning, it runs like a champ.

IdahoBeav

WKR
Try running it with a 1lb canister. If it works, that'll tell you if the problem is at the hose/filter/tank.

I ran mine for years with a big tank and no filter, never had a problem.

OP
rclouse79

rclouse79

WKR
Hows your pilot flame look? Nice blue flame or does it look like a bic lighter?

I've had to take mine apart an clean it out several times. Spider webs, other misc debris can build up in there and cause all kinds of issues.
Every time after cleaning, it runs like a champ.
I did take a couple old single element ones apart that I bought on Craigslist. I wish they were made to take apart and put back together more easily. The pilot light looked strong. I plan to tinker with it in the garage before going back out.

OP
rclouse79

rclouse79

WKR
I've seen 3 of the big buddy's catch fire due to a leak in the gas line. Two of my own and one friend's. All 3 were internal leaks, not the external hose. I have also owned 3 of the standard buddy's for over 10 years and have had no issues. The last one that caught fire was flickering like it was starved for gas before catching fire. Not saying this is the problem but many have had issues with that model.
Yikes. That would bring some excitement to a slow day on the ice.

Dsnow9

FNG
Did you make sure you grabbed the right hose. We were having issues because there was another hose that fit perfectly from a thread standpoint but wouldn’t keep the buddy lit. Sounds like sage issue. Swapped back hoses at it worked like a champ

That is something I would overlook. It felt like the tank was at least half full.
Just spit balling, have you tried a different propane cylinder to see if the problem follows? I had a 20lb cylinder that I had to take back to due to it not releasing gas below half full.

crich

WKR
Condensation in the hard lines is an issue with these. There is a pretty good youtube video on taking one apart and draining the p-trap.

OP
rclouse79

rclouse79

WKR
Just spit balling, have you tried a different propane cylinder to see if the problem follows? I had a 20lb cylinder that I had to take back to due to it not releasing gas below half full.
That is a good idea. I have another tank I will test on it.

OP
rclouse79

rclouse79

WKR
I am officially at a loss. I tried it with a different 20 lb tank through the filter and with two green 1 lb tanks. In both cases I could get it to light and get to full blast with both burners going. After about three minutes it just shut off. It seemed more like a shut off than a lack of fuel. I had it in my garage with the door open, so I know it want the level or oxygen sensor. I guess the next step is taking it apart. Seems to early for only running it a half dozen or so times.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
If the weather is real cold, making the tank cold, it could effect the ability of the liquid in the tank to boil off into a gas.

Fatcamp

WKR

Ya, I would troubleshoot with a 1# tank.

ETA: Well I'm at a loss.

Wrench

WKR
Mine did this too. I swapped to a different tank and it worked. Not sure if it was the valve, hose air in the line....dunno, but a different tank ran well.

1# cans worked every time.

I have owned two and both have failed after one season. Most recent one at the start of this season the igniter wouldn’t allow me to even compress it down to throw a spark. And the gas knob when turned would not release any propane. I tried starting it with a lighter to confirm this and no dice. Starting to have little faith in the reliabilities of these things.

I've had a couple buddy's and currently have a big buddy. Never had a buddy that worked "right" and the big buddy has been finicky. Not bad enough to take back, but definitely had to mess with it more than I care to.