Bigger bike?

Thess87

WKR
I have and have had tw200’s and a dirt bike before but never took the dirt bikes to the mountains I’ve only brought the tw’s. Why is the most common to stay in the 200-250cc bikes? Is there a problem with a bigger bike like 450?

OP
Thess87

Thess87

WKR
250 - 350 is agile and light. More than enough for trails. Aside from wasted power and higher fuel consumption, with a little more weight and expense, no reason not to run a 450 4 stroke. Just not needed.
Thanks I’ve never had a 450 but that’s what I was wondering. Also I’m 6’8” 270 so alittle bigger frame bike wouldn’t hurt my feelings

prm

WKR
Really just depends on what you are doing. At your size I see no reason to not have a 450. Just get one suited to the style of riding you do. I am rather inseam challenged so shorter bikes are easier for me. Though I have raced 80s, 125s, a 250 and a 480.

tdhanses

WKR
The KTM 500 exc-f is imo the best mountain bike for so many uses and it’s street legal, the 450 has snappy power while the 500 is like a tractor for not much more weight penalty. The downside is cost to play, but if all you want is to putt around I’d just keep the tw200’s honestly. You start looking at more modern bikes and they just are much more capable but also more deadly on single track.

I love my 500 in the mountains but I also raced motocross growing up and have 30+ years on a motorcycle. Also I’m not a 2stroke fan but the ktm 300 seems to be what a ton of enduro racers use, I just prefer a 4 stroke.

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
Thanks I’ve never had a 450 but that’s what I was wondering. Also I’m 6’8” 270 so alittle bigger frame bike wouldn’t hurt my feelings
It really depends on your skills, a 450 can be a lot of bike Power wise, it‘s probably lighter than your tw200 as well. The Honda 450RL though is not a power monster of a motocross bike, it’s detuned and street legal and would also be a good option.

Last edited:
My brother in law does Moab a few times a year. He’s has 7 or 8 week long and up trips under his belt out there. He usually runs a Honda 650R, but lately he’s talked about downsizing to a 250. He runs a Honda 450R (?) on the track so he’s not a chicken. His thoughts on downsizing primarily pertain to what has already been written. A good 250 is enough for the trails.

As for me…I’m short and well, a man’s got to know his limitations….I run a TW.

OP
Thess87

Thess87

WKR
Getting down to crunch time so I found a crf450x and pulled the trigger. I’ll try it this year and see. It’s dang sure got more power then I’ll ever need. 90% of my riding will just be on the mountain roads that way I don’t have to beat the hell outa my truck at 10 mph. Trying to track down a big rack for the back now

tdhanses

WKR
Getting down to crunch time so I found a crf450x and pulled the trigger. I’ll try it this year and see. It’s dang sure got more power then I’ll ever need. 90% of my riding will just be on the mountain roads that way I don’t have to beat the hell outa my truck at 10 mph. Trying to track down a big rack for the back now
Globe trotting might have one for it.

ORJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Displacement isn't the biggest difference in trail bikes.
A 250 XCW, 350 XCW, 450 XCW and 500 EXC are all going to have more in common with each other than their SXF counterparts, and the 500 EXC will be the easier trailbike than a 250SXF.

CRF450X is probably the right bike for you, CRF250R would have been wrong.