Black Gold Archery Site Max Usable Range

Morlanb3

FNG
Archery shooter here using a black gold pro site with 3 pins. Has anyone moved their pins down and move their bubble level to the top of the site housing to gain a little more distance? For reference, I shoot a Mathews Traverse @ 32" draw & 70lbs with 530gn FMJs, arrow speed about 286. Currently I can dial to about 90 yds before my fletchings hit the bottom of the site housing. Trying to get to 100 yds. Thanks.

Elkangle

WKR
Your peep might be too low, your fetchings might be huge, bring your sight in

I would go into a shop

Reactions: ZDR
OP
M

Morlanb3

FNG
Thank you for the replies. Elkangle, are you shooting a black gold site? I usually take my bow to the shop in the spring for a checkup/tuneup , will mention it again see if they have any suggestions.

Jbehredt

WKR
Had the same issue on my new bow last year. New Black gold dual trac as well to replace my black gold 5 pin slider. Got frustrated and was going to buy lighter arrows when I wondered if maybe I could raise my peep comfortably. Boom. 100 easy. Shorter bow had me crunched up a little.

I don’t have specific data, too many variables to know. One recommendation, short of going to a shop would be to watch john Dudley’s recent video called going long on his nock on you tube video. Should be info there that might help.

OP
M

Morlanb3

FNG
Ahh, thanks for the tip Jbehredt, I'll ask about adjusting this with my shop.

OP
M

Morlanb3

FNG
Thanks for the suggestion, ElkJunky. I tried this and didn't really feel like I got more distance. In your experience was it a suttle improvement in distance?

ElkJunky

FNG
Thanks for the suggestion, ElkJunky. I tried this and didn't really feel like I got more distance. In your experience was it a suttle improvement in distance?
I have done a lot of targe archery running sights on dovetails. Going from max to min, I could get 20-30 yards out of it. Target sights have a lot of adjustment, not quite as much in hunting sights with a dovetail mount. If you don't have a dovetail, and are only moving hole positions on your sight I would expect minimal differences.