Black Gold Sight Elev/Wind Adjustments

jonesn3

Lil-Rokslider
I went down a small rabbit hole this weekend, so bear with me. I haven't seen this posted yet, maybe I missed it, but if not I wanted to share.

It's always slightly bothered me that I never knew exactly how much to adjust the sight housing (up/down/left/right) or individual pins (up/down) when sighting it. I always guessed and checked, which is fine but and I have gotten pretty quick at it, but it certainly takes some amount of time and at least a couple groups of arrows to confirm each mark. For MBG sights with a micro-adjust knob, I've read that "8 clicks equals 1 full turn equals 1 inch at 20 yds" or something similar. For my setup, I found it actually took 12 clicks for 1 inch POI-difference at 20 yds. It seemed like not every "click" engaged and some "clicks" moved the sight more than others. Also that's only helpful for moving the entire housing. MBG customer service didn't provide any input other than to say they are just simple reference marks. So I figured I'd apply some quick math and give myself some notes for shortcutting the "guess and check" method.

When sighting in a rifle, when your POI is off at 100 yds you know the required MOA correction to bring the impacts into the center. I was wanting that same understand for my archery setup.

Caliper measurements for your sight increments were needed. On my sight, each minor elevation and windage mark is about 0.02" on my sight (same as below). Measured sight radius on your particular setup is also needed.

Req'd adjustment to sight based on POI:
1711389954306.png
where
1711391634906.png

1711389962796.png

1711389990030.png

When checking this method, I input my sight radius as 29.656". At 20 yds, my POI was consistently 1.5" low. My sight originally was set at El. 7.0 on the markings. I did the calc, resulting in 0.0593" down or about 3 minor increments to El. 6.25. This came out to 18 clicks. The resulting group, shot at a horizontal line was basically perfect height across the line.

TL;DR: As long as you have your sight radius measurement, and a consistent grouping relative to center, you can apply some quick math on your phone calculator and know how far to adjust your sight to hit the center mark.

P.S. I realize this probably is a very much unneeded writeup, this forum is pretty tech savvy, but I know I would've appreciated some better understanding when I started sighting in bows.

Last edited:
I’m a simpleton, by the time I think up all of that, and figured out the exact calculation I could have sighted in 5 bows without any mathing.

I would much prefer shooting some arrows and turning some knobs (or bumping a dovetail over without micro adjustments) than try to turn it into a math equation, I’ve always done it that way and it’s never taken long to get it all dialed in, then I treat it like a sore Peter and don’t mess with it

OP
J

jonesn3

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a simpleton, by the time I think up all of that, and figured out the exact calculation I could have sighted in 5 bows without any mathing.

I would much prefer shooting some arrows and turning some knobs (or bumping a dovetail over without micro adjustments) than try to turn it into a math equation, I’ve always done it that way and it’s never taken long to get it all dialed in, then I treat it like a sore Peter and don’t mess with it
Oh, for sure. I agree totally. This is totally unneeded in the grand scheme. At the end of the day I simply wanted to "know" how marks to move my sight up or down based on POI. Since it wasn't mentioned anywhere. This all came about while working on a site tape this last weekend

My main takeaway was :
1 minor mark equals 0.5" at 20 yds, and 1" at 40 yds