Blackhorn 209 price "what the hell"

Supaphly

FNG
What the hell is up with the price of blackhorn 209? I seen an 8oz jug at sportsman's for $80. That is crazy.

JRay

Lil-Rokslider
Pay the piper. Use judiciously. Practice with open sights on a “cheap” to operate rifle with similar accuracy.

Or switch to 777. Abundant and cheaper. My brother kills deer, elk and antelope with it.

OP
Supaphly

Supaphly

FNG
Pay the piper. Use judiciously. Practice with open sights on a “cheap” to operate rifle with similar accuracy.

Or switch to 777. Abundant and cheaper. My brother kills deer, elk and antelope with it.
I have plenty for the next season or two as long as I don't change anything. But I was thinking about switching bullets and sights. I just find it crazy that it went up 60% and all other powders didn't

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
It’s outstanding, Hodgdon bought it a couple years ago. Raised the price and cut it back 2 more Oz.

It's gotten so expensive that I pull the breech plug and salvage my powder after a hunt and put it in a separate jug for "checking powder" the following year.

Over the summer, we have 100-degree days, so I set it out in the sunshine and leave the lid off of the powder for a couple hours and let the hot air dry it out just to be sure it is nice and dry in case there was any dampness in the powder.

Last edited:

87TT

WKR
I thought it was bad when 3F Goex went up to $20 lb. Only shoot real BP in the old flintlock.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I seen an 8oz jug at sportsman's for $80. That is crazy.
Yes it is. If folks would just stop paying those prices, they'd have no choice but to lower them. Unfortunately, it's kind of like the car market. Too many people willing to pay MSRP or even higher, so that's ruined the market for those of us that always haggled the price down. There are certain price points for everything I use that I just won't pay, even if I can afford it.

it was going on gunbroker for $400-500 per 8oz bottle last september.

when my current stash is used up i'm going back to 777, don't need the extra 100 fps bad enough to mess around with the new cost and chronic shortage of BH209.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
Yes it is. If folks would just stop paying those prices, they'd have no choice but to lower them. Unfortunately, it's kind of like the car market. Too many people willing to pay MSRP or even higher, so that's ruined the market for those of us that always haggled the price down. There are certain price points for everything I use that I just won't pay, even if I can afford it.
For those that only shoot 5 times a year to check zero and hunt that works out to around $8 a year and would last a decade. To them the price isn’t a huge concern for the stated reason.

I switched to smokeless, powder is way cheaper.

Bluefish

WKR
All powders have gone up. Was over $250 for a jug of unique. 10 years ago that would have been $130. the 1 lb I have found recently are around 50, they used to be 25-28.

Rich M

WKR
Prices just keep climbing cause there is always someone who will pay. The corporations keep making new record profits while bumping they prices up and up.