Idaho Weiser 22 rifle elk

Hey y’all,
Committed to an idaho tag early this year. Got weiser in the “otc” draw. Planning to hunt 22, and its the Rifle tag. 10/25-11/3 or something.

I’m still green to rifle hunting. Been bowhunting for some years. Killed an Oregon bull this year. Didn’t take time off work for Archrey with Idaho on the mind. Stayed local and hunted weekends and afterwork. First bull from my local area. Figures I’d punch that tag while focusing my time for this rifle hunt, so an Idaho would require a 2nd freezer 😂.

Question on how to hunt the unit more than where. I have no illusions about getting away from others completely. I’ve picked some areas in my e-scouting that should have plenty of hunters and maybe some elk. Would appreciate some tips on how to hunt the country. When bowhunting my areas are too thick to glass, so typically not lart of my plan. Should I focus on getting a good vantage point, wait until I find elk (even if it means waiting for them to move through), or is it worth it to drop into some of the country I think they’ll be in, look for fresh sign and hunt accordingly. I have a 300 yard or less effective range.

Appreciate any insight!

Good luck !! This is a very tough unit to hunt the last 4 years around 2000 hunters a year are out there, in a unit that is mostly Private property !! Your best bet is to find a place & sit tight Heavily covered in ORANGE !!

OP
R
Thanks! I'm an OR hunter. Hard to believe anything can be as busy as some of our OTC hunts ;-)

Thanks! I'm an OR hunter. Hard to believe anything can be as busy as some of our OTC hunts ;-)
Your in for a Shock go onto Idaho F&G find the hunt planner & explore it ... There is very little public land left in this unit & add in 2000 hunters it gets pretty hard to get away from them . My son bow hunted it this year he said there were people everywhere they had to drop down into some absolute Shit holes to get away from people. They managed to kill a spike took them 2 days with 3 people to get it out.

OP
R
Your in for a Shock go onto Idaho F&G find the hunt planner & explore it ... There is very little public land left in this unit & add in 2000 hunters it gets pretty hard to get away from them . My son bow hunted it this year he said there were people everywhere they had to drop down into some absolute Shit holes to get away from people. They managed to kill a spike took them 2 days with 3 people to get it out.
So knowing this info, what would you suggest? Specifically dealing with the people problem. Again people don't bug me. I.E. plan to hunt within them like set up and glass in and around, look for people pushing animals, hunt saddles or places where people will push them to/from? Or are you recommending that I go into the steep and deep to focus on getting away from people as that is where I will find the animals, the "shit holes"

So knowing this info, what would you suggest? Specifically dealing with the people problem. Again people don't bug me. I.E. plan to hunt within them like set up and glass in and around, look for people pushing animals, hunt saddles or places where people will push them to/from? Or are you recommending that I go into the steep and deep to focus on getting away from people as that is where I will find the animals, the "shit holes"
If I was hunting this unit which I used to but stopped after most of the land was locked up !! I would try & figure out how to get across the Snake & hunt that side, But you better be in Damn good shape cause it is a MFer !! My son lives down in Oxbow, he was watching a couple of herds last year, he took my boat across with his son & about killed the boy !! They could never catch up with the elk they kept moving canyon to canyon !! There are a few other ways in from the top but then you are dragging your ass & an elk If you kill one back up !!!