Blind bale shooting....do it!

One of the simplest things about BB practice is one of the best things for a stickbow guy: Strength building. At 3-5 steps you can draw, hold (extended) and shoot with no concern about accuracy or wild arrows. Do enough of it and you can build muscle to where a 60+ pound bow can be fully drawn slowly to your anchor and then held several seconds with no loss of control. Whether you actually shoot with an extended hold or not is irrelevant. There is nothing but upside to additional strength and bow control. I've killed a number of animals at extremely close ranges where a slow draw was critical to not spooking them, and slow drawing used to destroy my accuracy.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
..... I've killed a number of animals at extremely close ranges where a slow draw was critical to not spooking them, and slow drawing used to destroy my accuracy.

Another good point.
When I started concentrating on "The How" I drew my stickbow...I found i was drawing differently...especially on hunts. So I was getting to anchor...but not the exact anchor and arm position I needed to replicate a perfect shot. So part of my BB practice is doing as you say Kevin...low draw...and with my bow in different positions from vertical in case I need to clear something with my lower limb.

FWIW, I missed a Axis buck in Hawaii after a great stalk, you know how spooky those buggers are! I had to hold my bow almost horizontal to clear the tall grass and when I shoot that way I found out later that my elbow ends up lower...causing my shots to go a little high. On the BB, I practice a slow draw that keeps my elbow is in the right position; from standing, kneeling, on my roof shooting down, etc

Ive been doing some up close shooting but with eyes open. I'm showing a lot improvement and consistency is better. Confident I can kill if I get time to hunt. Looks like middle of next week I will get to go. Been working on strength too...these 63# limbs feel tough most days.

marcb

FNG
I find this easier than not caring where the arrow goes: visualize that the shot is really far...something like 60 yards. The form and follow through has to be perfect for shots that long. Just another mind game to help.

PJG

WKR
Here's another way to look at it. Look at all targets in 2D. What I mean by that is that the tip of the arrow is directly on the target. Distance doesn't matter. In a perfect world with repeatable form every shot, distance has no meaning. Too many times people think 20 yards is easier than 60 yards, but if their 60 yard group isn't even comparable to their 20 yard group, well guess what the form is breaking down. Sure, distance magnifies this breakdown, but at the end of the day it's still the shooter that has inconsistent form. Also, the concentration and shot execution should be the same regardless of distance. If the concentration is good at 60, then you have to ask why isn't it the same at closer distances..

I am a pure gap shooter, once I set my gap I try to picture that the target is inches in front of the bow. This has really helped me focus at all distances.

Just something to think about.

I find this easier than not caring where the arrow goes: visualize that the shot is really far...something like 60 yards. The form and follow through has to be perfect for shots that long. Just another mind game to help.

Last edited: