Book Recommendations

Another vote for Undaunted Courage. One of the best books I’ve ever read. Here’s some of my other favorites

-River of Doubt
-Further than Any Man
-A land so strange
-Crazy Horse and Custer
-Horn of the Hunter
-Into Africa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll second the Capstick and Jim Corbett picks. Another good read is Bell of Africa, by WDM “Karamojo” Bell. And if you can hold in your laughter, any of Patrick McManus’s books.

Anything by Capstick is worth the time, also been enjoying My Life With The Eskimo by Vilhjalmur Stefansson

Wild at Heart, John Eldredge.

God designed men to be dangerous, says John Eldredge. Simply look at the dreams and desires written in the heart of every boy: To be a hero, to be a warrior, to live a life of adventure and risk. Sadly, most men abandon those dreams and desires-aided by a Christianity that feels like nothing more than pressure to be a "nice guy." It is no wonder that many men avoid church, and those who go are often passive and bored to death. In this provocative book, Eldredge gives women a look inside the true heart of a man and gives men permission to be what God designed them to be-dangerous, passionate, alive, and free!

I also enjoyed One Man’s Wilderness though it’s been twenty years since I read it.

On a couple of different vectors the following are three books that have changed my life:

Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters - should be required reading for those of us with girls.

He Leadeth Me - this is the story about an American priest who was serving as a missionary in Poland and was arrested by the Russians. He lived in various prisons and a Siberian hard labor camp. The story is amazing, but what’s life-changing is understanding that God’s will for you is where you’re at right now.

Trustful Surrender to Divine Providence - this is a small book that elaborates a similar theme to He Leaderh Me. A bit deeper theologically, but a life changer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Dangerous River- RM Patterson

The Wilderness of the Upper Yukon and The Wilderness of Denali- Charles Sheldon

Campfires in the Canadian Rockies- William Hornady

Arctic Wilderness- Bob Marshall

The Border Trilogy- Cormac

Some of my favorites:

Man on the Run by Zeke Pipher
Jay Massey books (A Thousand Campfires is probably my favorite)
Horseshoe in my Hip Pocket by Bob Kjos (gets better the further you go into the book)
Marvin Clark- Track of the Kodiak

Anything about Pinnell and Talifson.

Kiss or Kill by Mark Twight (alpinist) short stories of climbing
Dune by Frank Herbert (sci-fi)
A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
American Buffalo by Steven Rinella

Fourth time that’s been recommended. Taking 27 people to Antarctica and surviving a shipwreck, being away from civilization for over a year. Great story. All survived.
Spoiler alert! I just texted my wife to pick this up at the library when she goes next.

The West (History)
The Earth is Weeping
Cozzens, Peter

Dodge City
Clavin, Tom

Wild Bill: True Story of the American Frontier's First Gunfighter
Tom Clavin

People of the Wind River: The Eastern Shoshones
Stamm IV, Henry E.

Last Stand: George Bird Grinnell, the Battle to Save the Buffalo, and the Birth of the New West
Punke, Michael

American Buffalo: In Search of a Lost Icon
Rinella, Steven

Military
A Handful of Hard Men: The SAS and the Battle for Rhodesia
Wessels, Hannes

Flags of Our Fathers
Bradley, James

With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa
E. B. Sledge

Flyboys: A True Story of Courage
Bradley, James

Level Zero Heroes: The Story of U.S. Marine Special Operations in Bala Murghab, Afghanistan
Golembesky, Michael

Outlaw Platoon: Heroes, Renegades, Infidels, and the Brotherhood of War in Afghanistan
Parnell, Sean

Hunting Related
Meat Eater: Adventures from the Life of an American Hunter
Rinella, Steven

Home by the River
Archibald Rutledge

De Shootinest Gent'man & Other Tales
Nash Buckingham

More Stories of the Old Duck Hunters (Gordon Macquarrie Trilogy)
Gordon MacQuarrie, Zack Taylor

The Outlaw Gunner
Harry Walsh

Long Range Shooting Handbook
Cleckner, Ryan M

Self Improvement - Don't be a POS Type Books
Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win (New Edition)
Willink, Jocko

The Hard Hat: 21 Ways to Be a Great Teammate
Gordon, Jon

Last edited:
A point made earlier about Rinella books but I will repeat it.
They aren't as good in audio form because Rinella is not the narrator and most of us are familiar with his voice. Another voice reading the book just doesn't sound right.

The West (History)
The Earth is Weeping
Cozzens, Peter

Dodge City
Clavin, Tom

Wild Bill: True Story of the American Frontier's First Gunfighter
Tom Clavin

People of the Wind River: The Eastern Shoshones
Stamm IV, Henry E.

Last Stand: George Bird Grinnell, the Battle to Save the Buffalo, and the Birth of the New West
Punke, Michael

American Buffalo: In Search of a Lost Icon
Rinella, Steven

Military
A Handful of Hard Men: The SAS and the Battle for Rhodesia
Wessels, Hannes

Flags of Our Fathers
Bradley, James

With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa
E. B. Sledge

Flyboys: A True Story of Courage
Bradley, James

Level Zero Heroes: The Story of U.S. Marine Special Operations in Bala Murghab, Afghanistan
Golembesky, Michael

Outlaw Platoon: Heroes, Renegades, Infidels, and the Brotherhood of War in Afghanistan
Parnell, Sean

Just a heads up:
Outlaw Platoon is on sale in Kindle format for $1.99 on Amazon.

Back