Boston, MA to CO DIY logistics (#1 Coolers)

BBlue

FNG
Hi Everyone-

My name is Brendan and I live in Boston, MA (Not the Brendan from Boston who did that great write up on his Solo DIY hunt in MT last season. Though I hope to hear some of his thoughts if he is still on here)

Just wanted to introduce myself and see if I could pick your brains about some of the important logistics that go with doing a western DIY archery elk hunt driving out from the Northeast. I have lurked on this site for a number of years and have learned a TON of great info on the elk game.

After ~5 years of joining a buddy in CO on his back country elk hunts, I have now decided that there is no way I am going back out into the elk woods in Sept. without a tag in my pocket and a bow in my hand. I have never been able to turn down the opportunity to spend extended time in the mountains in September with good friends and I have now accumulated what I consider a decent exposure to what backpack hunting in CO entails. I have seen the lulls in action, I have lost the toenails and helped call in and pack out my buddy's first bull after 7 years of trying. I have been driven crazy by steep blowdown and gotten dumped on by snow. I like to think I am a decently experienced elk hunter who has never actually elk hunted.

I just put in for all my annual vacation time with my employer and got the green light to take the majority of Sept to drive out to CO and try to take an elk home with me. While the idea has been swirling in my head since last season, it seems like it is going to be a reality. Suddenly, Sept doesn't seem far away at all and I have a lot of logistics to work out. I'm sure I am going to have a ton of questions as the months pass and hope to bounce a lot of ideas off all you experienced folks.

Gear-wise I am in a pretty good position as I have accumulated a lot of what I have needed over the years of joining my friend. I'm working out, hiking hills with the pack and shooting my bow. If I am fortunate enough to kill and elk, one of my primary concerns will be keeping the quality of meat as high as possible as I travel back to the east coast. That leads me to one of my first questions.

For you NR hunters who travel 1000-2000 miles to the elk woods, what is the minimum number/ capacity of coolers you bring with you to transport a boned out elk home? Do you typically bring the meat to cold storage to freeze it solid prior to loading it into coolers with ice? Do you use standard ice or dry ice for the drive home. I am probably putting the cart before the horse but I want to make sure that when I pull out of the driveway, I have all the cooler capacity I will need to get my elk home.

Looking forward to interacting with the forum!

Brendan

When you decide to get the coolers, take a look at the ones put out by Pelican (the gun case folks). They are getting excellent reviews and seem to be the best bang for the buck while still being able to keep stuff frozen for several days. And you are not putting the cart before the horse. Too many folks think everything through up to taking the shot but don't spend any time on how to cut it up, how to get it off the mountain or back to the trailhead, and finally how to get it home.

If money is not too much of an issue you might want to find a reputable meat processor out there who will freeze and then ship it back for you. Just another option to investigate.

We use coleman 150qt coolers. Not expensive and hold the ice ok. A boned out elk will fit in one 150 qt possibly in a 120 qt but no smaller. We fill with ice and place 10 lbs or better of dry ice on top. This will hold the ice for better than 15 hrs. When you stop to sleep, drain off the water and refill with ice. Everything will be fine. We got 16 hrs so you will be close to home before you need to re ice.

We drive 27 hrs every yr.. 2 large igloo coolers per elk works for us..
We do like Steveo
Ice then dry ice on top
Never had problem

Look at Costco for the 165 quart igloo cooler. You can fit a whole bull in it and a few bags of ice. Works great and will only cost you $90 or so. Have hauled a few elk in mine now with no problems.

I take a 125qt and a 100qt and split it up between the 2. I had both my elk processed and frozen out there and just used dry ice for the ride home. Both times the meat was still frozen when we got back to PA. If you use one big cooler it can get pretty heavy to move around if you have to. Especially if you're by yourself.

Excellent info, guys! It's great to know that I would be able to get away with one or two of the standard coolers with good ice management rather than the amazing new bas-a$$ ones (Which I would love to have some day) Maybe if it looks like I can pull this off every year or two, I could better justify a Pelican or Yeti.
For those of you have made the long trek east with your elk, do you typically try to do some additional butchering, trimming and wrapping before loading up the coolers or simply get the boned out meat cooled down in the game bags you packed off the mountain and just leave them in that state until you are back?

McGee, I think that if I were able to pull it together and kill one on the front end of the trip, having it processed out there makes a lot of sense. Do you typically have it processed into final products ready for the grill/ pot or just broken down into the basic cuts and wrapped? What sort of turn around time have you seen? I love processing and making sausage with deer and ducks out in MA and the idea of breaking down an elk for my freezer is appealing too.

It's great to hear form you guys who have actually done it successfully. Takes a lot of the guess work out of the process!

Excellent info, guys! It's great to know that I would be able to get away with one or two of the standard coolers with good ice management rather than the amazing new bas-a$$ ones (Which I would love to have some day) Maybe if it looks like I can pull this off every year or two, I could better justify a Pelican or Yeti.
For those of you have made the long trek east with your elk, do you typically try to do some additional butchering, trimming and wrapping before loading up the coolers or simply get the boned out meat cooled down in the game bags you packed off the mountain and just leave them in that state until you are back?

McGee, I think that if I were able to pull it together and kill one on the front end of the trip, having it processed out there makes a lot of sense. Do you typically have it processed into final products ready for the grill/ pot or just broken down into the basic cuts and wrapped? What sort of turn around time have you seen? I love processing and making sausage with deer and ducks out in MA and the idea of breaking down an elk for my freezer is appealing too.

It's great to hear form you guys who have actually done it successfully. Takes a lot of the guess work out of the process!

I shot both my elk early in our hunt so that's why I had it processed. If I shot them later in the hunt I would just take the boned out meat home and do it myself. But yes I had it processed into final products and I had them leave me 40lbs of unprocessed meat to make sausage and sticks when I got home.

Wow, sorta feel like I'm talking to myself :D

I brought a Yeti Tundra 160 last year. Kept Ice for the full ~2 weeks I was gone with minimal re-supply. It was definitely an impulse buy - cheaper would've done, but I'll have this for a long time and it'll get used. The cooler did fit my entire elk - but not with enough room for ice to cool it down fast (Plan half and half). It was hot out, close to 80 degrees, so I ended up going straight to the nearest Walmart, bought a cheaper coleman cooler, split the meat between two, covered in ice and drove it back east. Probably took me 10 days to get everything cut, wrapped and frozen when I got home - turned out great...

As mentioned above - the cooler was HEAVY. It stayed in the back of the truck the whole time. Like PMcGee said - if I was going to be out there longer, I might have had it butchered and frozen for me, although I really do prefer doing it myself. I always feel like I take much more care trimming it out...

Where are you in the Boston area? I'm in Medford if you ever want to meet for a drink, and am practicing at Danvers Fish & Game fairly regularly.

I think everyone should plan ahead like this - very important once it does happen.

I'm only 1000 miles east in IL, but have had similar success to what is posted above. Last two years I've brought a bull home...using 150qt white marine coleman cooler ($60 at Sams) and an old 70qt Coleman extreme (like $40 at Walmart 10+ yrs ago). Last year I could fit it all in 150qt but then less ice obviously, and the weight as mentioned above. I have only used regular ice, and just drain refill some if needed. Longest I've kept in coolers is little over 4 days, no problem at all. I would consider having a locker freeze it for me if I got one day 1 or 2.
Otherwise I've placed my game bags directly into Contractor trash bags from Home Depot and submerged into ice/cooler.

It is a heck of a process once you get home though as well. I typically drive most of night on way home and pretty exhausted from the week...that first bull took me a good part of two days to process/wrap. I went a quicker route last year and did less trimming and processing...and just got the parts broken down to be frozen, and now just take the time to trim and cut once I dethaw - not only saved a bunch of time getting it into freezer, not so sure it better to trim some edges after being frozen anyway. I've done both 100% on my own though, and even one helper would be huge in getting this done quicker.

I think it's great that you're starting off with so much great experience...If I could offer only one tip to a first timer it would be watch the wind! I use my wind puffer/indicator all day long - elk simply will not tolerate any human scent when it comes to getting into archery range.

Have fun - and good luck!

BBlue -- I'm new to elk hunting but will be going on my first trip to CO this Sept from Virginia. We're essentially in the same boat and I'm glad you asked this question. Here's a link on some cooler reviews comparing some of the more budget friendly to the more expensive ones. After watching, I think I'm going with the Coleman Xtreme. Check it out when you get a chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-TE4RnqT0U

As with others a 150 and a 70 is just about right if you can't pre-freeze. Luckily we have our stuff frozen when it makes it into the cooler whether it be butchered ourselves or processed (Steamboat Meat and Seafood is the only place we will take it if you're in the area). Took us 3 days to process a bull and an elk with two of us; good thing I dropped mine the first morning. If you can pre-freeze you will need just slightly bigger than 150. I am very meticulous about ensuring the meat stays completely frozen as I think that's the difference between good and great elk. I don't ever take it home unprocessed anymore as it's worth the money to have it processed and not have 2-3 days of work waiting for me when I get home. Can't say much about traveling distance, but the stuff we get from Steamboat is so cold that I had it freeze water that was in the bottom of the cooler and I was able to make the 3 hour drive home without adding any ice.

I can buy a mountain of ice for the price difference between a yeti and a Coleman extreme. Unless you a living out of your coolers the economics of a premium cooler don't work.

I am in a similar boat but I have a slightly different plan. I'm in Ohio and traveling to New Mexico this year for my hunt. I'm dragging my enclosed trailer with Atv and other gear with me, so my plan is to take a chest freezer from Sam's and my generator with me. The freezer is 180 bucks, has plenty of room for an elk or two, and I'll just use it in my garage when I get home. I'll get the elk processed and frozen out there, and pick it up as I'm leaving for the trip back. I'll be able to run the generator as needed to keep the meat frozen on the 1400 mile trip home. The generator will sit in the back of the truck while in use, and an extension cord will run into the trailer where the freezer will be. Two of us will be going, and I'll have a bear tag. Best case scenario is we run out of space! If that happens, I'll buy a second freezer and sell it on Craig's list when I get home!

Not trying to hijack Brendan's thread but what's the average processing cost for an elk? From deboned meat to wrapped and frozen ready for the freezer? I know it depends on a few things...just curious of a ballpark figure.

One yr I killed bull first day of our hunt.. We deboned and packed to the truck.
Went to town. Put ice on it in coolers.. Parked in shade..
Went back up on mountain till 3 days later when we killed another and brought it down..
Mine was still good when we got to truck with other one.

Not trying to hijack Brendan's thread but what's the average processing cost for an elk? From deboned meat to wrapped and frozen ready for the freezer? I know it depends on a few things...just curious of a ballpark figure.
I think Steamboat charges $325 for standard packed in 1-2lb packages and added fat included (which we have them exclude). They really make their money on the add-ons like jerkey and sausage which is way overpriced. I think shipping it is somewhere just over $100. Also they will charge you $50+ if you don't skin it as a stupidity fee.

Some guys we hunt with take theirs to some guy in Yampa that does it on his ranch and I think he charges around $250 and he has a much faster turn around time. That's the problem with the good places is getting it done before you leave.

I think Steamboat charges $325 for standard packed in 1-2lb packages and added fat included (which we have them exclude). They really make their money on the add-ons like jerkey and sausage which is way overpriced. I think shipping it is somewhere just over $100. Also they will charge you $50+ if you don't skin it as a stupidity fee.

Some guys we hunt with take theirs to some guy in Yampa that does it on his ranch and I think he charges around $250 and he has a much faster turn around time. That's the problem with the good places is getting it done before you leave.

Thanks, I was figuring on a few hundred bucks. I process all my own deer but will have to play it by ear if I kill an elk.

I think I paid around 80 cents a lb.

Thanks, I was figuring on a few hundred bucks. I process all my own deer but will have to play it by ear if I kill an elk.

Problem is that we had a bad experience one year with one that is now out of business. It was poorly run and they couldn't find our elk and they ended up giving us who knows what (probably skimming it off of everyone else's) and it tasted awful. I will only go to highly recommended places or else I would just do it myself. That being said, we can almost always get our elk out whole so it is more work than say if it was already quartered. The best estimate I could give you is 1.5 days of solid work for 2 people per elk to grind and package.

Looks like I was a little high, looked up the price list now that I'm at a computer. Looks like $275 for the whole elk.

Back