Bow Case for Travel?

Due to time constraints I am going to have to fly out for my hunts this coming season. I am looking at the Sitka Nomad or something like a SKB doublebow case. Does anyone know if there is room in these cases to put my bow as well as my Exo K4 pack and maybe a paid of boots? To keep things simple I would like to keep these items in the same case to make travel a bit easier. They seem to be pretty big cases but I know specs don't always line up with reality.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a skb double I fly with a bunch, I pack all my clothes on top of my bow. I don't think I'd put a pack in there to rub on my bow but think it would fit.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
T
Good point. I was planning to put my bow in my softcase and then put it in whichever case I end up getting. I'd hate to have something damage my strings or mess up my sight.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's the SKB with size 14 boots and a kifaru 357 mag pack. Would probably fit a soft case but had to kneel on it to close as seen. Not room for much else that's for sure.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230404_142232_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230404_142232_Photos.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 50
OP
T
Thanks realunlucky. That pic is really helpful! Worse case I wear my pack as a carry on and chance my luck of having to gate check it...

MattB

WKR
Some of the hard side duffels have limits on the length of a bow that will fit in them. Not sure about the Sitka, but my Badlands tops out at ~33" ATA depending on the cam size. Given the option, I would get an SKB double bow case and put the boots in the pack and carry on.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks realunlucky. That pic is really helpful! Worse case I wear my pack as a carry on and chance my luck of having to gate check it...
I have a strap I attach to the top handle of the SKB and hook my soft sided cooler or duffle bag to it so I can pull everything around on hard sided case though the terminal. I always wear my pack but keep it pretty compact so they don't question if it'll fit in the bin or not.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

On my trip to AK I packed all my hunting clothes in my bow case. I used a soft case for everything else. I then used the soft case for the bush plane and left the hard case at the hotel with un needed items.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
SKB all the way.

AK Airlines damaged my bow case a couple years ago. Badly bent the outside aluminum frame reinforcements. Case partially popped open, could not close it. Then AK Baggage upset as my SKB case caused some damage to their conveyer. Why AK personnel put the case on a conveyer system is beyond me.
Mostly I picked it up in the oversize luggage area on many previous trips/flights.
The bow & other gear inside was fine, no damage.

I sent SKB some pictures, SKB sent me a new bow case.

Now I pack my Glock-hard case/locked into my SKB bow case-locked.
TSA inspects it, AK Air then accepts it, and SKB-bow/Glock-case is hand carried into the arrival airport's AK baggage office. Takes a few minutes more but reassured with that degree of handling by airline personnel.