Bow in hot car

GuyinIdaho

Lil-Rokslider
I have an archery antelope tag opening in about a month. I am hoping to go out for a couple nights after work but not sure how I can keep my bow cool enough in the summer heat. My house is a 30 min drive in the wrong direction so I am trying to bring everything with me to work then head out after. Unfortunately I cannot bring my bow into the building. Anyone have any ideas on how to keep my bowstring from stretching?

HUNT JR

WKR
I would think windows down, but I've learned that the hard way and almost had my bow blow up from getting hot with the windows up.

Maverick1

WKR
I have an archery antelope tag opening in about a month. I am hoping to go out for a couple nights after work but not sure how I can keep my bow cool enough in the summer heat. My house is a 30 min drive in the wrong direction so I am trying to bring everything with me to work then head out after. Unfortunately I cannot bring my bow into the building. Anyone have any ideas on how to keep my bowstring from stretching?
Easy. Buy a 150 quart cooler, fill it half way full of ice, and put your bow inside the cooler. Will keep your bow cool during the day, and double as a cooler in the event your fill your tag!

OP
GuyinIdaho

GuyinIdaho

Lil-Rokslider
Easy. Buy a 150 quart cooler, fill it half way full of ice, and put your bow inside the cooler. Will keep your bow cool during the day, and double as a cooler in the event your fill your tag!
I just picked up a 150qt cooler. Didnt even think of that. Thanks!

Schnee

FNG
Do you have a co-worker or friend who lives close to work, or in your direction of travel? Maybe stash it at their place during the day.

Cfriend

FNG
If you park in the shade, crack the windows, and put sun shades in the windows you should be alright. That's what I did last year during some hot days (I couldn't even park in the shade), and the car stayed relatively close to ambient.

Also, you could get a wireless thermometer that connects to your phone and keep it in the car. Then if you see the temp is getting too high you could go out and run the AC for a while.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
GuyinIdaho

GuyinIdaho

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have a co-worker or friend who lives close to work, or in your direction of travel? Maybe stash it at their place during the day.
I tried that route but wasnt finding anyone

I’ve had similar challenges with trying to shoot after work.

I did all of the below:
- Park in the shade with windows cracked, this worked pretty well just needed to check it a few times and watch for rail
- drop it off at the club before work
- put it in a discrete duffle bag that I brought into the office with me

The large cooler idea suggested above is brilliant. Could use a few frozen jugs instead of bagged ice to keep moisture down.

OP
GuyinIdaho

GuyinIdaho

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for all the ideas. I will try placing it in a 150qt cooler on top of a few frozen milk jugs and moving blanket. Also park in shade with windows cracked and a sun shade.

I use a big skb bow case.

It's kinda like a cooler for your bow, just let it cool at night, takes a long time for it to heat up inside the foam if it's out of the sun.

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
My bow has stayed in a case on the floor of the backseat of my pickup from mid august til the end of hunting season for years and have never had an issue

gabenzeke

WKR
Left my bow in the truck for three hours a couple weeks ago while moving boxes into a new house. It blew up. The cooler is probably the safest approach.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
A bow case will also insulate pretty well, but the cooler would be more foolproof.

As stated above, limb damage is as much an issue as string creep.

Maverick1

WKR
Thank you for all the ideas. I will try placing it in a 150qt cooler on top of a few frozen milk jugs and moving blanket. Also park in shade with windows cracked and a sun shade.
No problem, happy to help! The 150 quart cooler and ice is is how I have been storing my backup bow on my trips to the mountains for years. I usually fill 12 empty tubs of protein powder with water, freeze, put them in the cooler, fill the gaps between the frozen jugs with ice, put the bow on top, and then put several layers of pink insulation on top of the bow until it reaches the lid of the cooler. Close the cooler, pack it inside the vehicle and then cover with my spare sleeping bag. This method has kept my bow cold to the touch for up to 22 days (my longest out of state trip so far), and has worked in very hot temperatures. And it helps if you can park in the shade!

Good luck on your hunt!

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Do bow companies not sell bows in the places like Arizona because the 120 degree weather might make the explode? Or do they attach warnings?

Dyneema (the most heat intolerant material I'm aware of being used in bow strings) is rated for prolonged exposure up to 70 C (158 F) and short excisions up to 100 C (212 F). There are places in the US where the ambient temperature in a car might get above 158 F, but probably not the case for most of us.

158 F will result in 3rd degree burns in a few seconds with hot liquids. Granted a solid surface will contain less heat energy and transfer it less effectively, but it is still a temp you will not be wanting to touch. Other that directly sun exposed materials, even on 115 degree days in San Antonio, TX things never got close to that hot in a vehicle to my memory.

So, definitely keep it out of the sun, a cooler is probably overkill, but if it makes you feel better and does not add too much hassle, who cares.