Bow in hot car

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I was trying to think of a cheap test that did not require buying a temp logger.

A whole egg coagulates at 144-158 degrees. So, if you can leave an egg in your car all day and it is not cooked, your bow should be fine.

OP
GuyinIdaho

GuyinIdaho

Lil-Rokslider
stings and cables are under extreme tension so I would guess that it doesnt require temps above 158F to affect your bow. I have personally known people that have left their bow in a car and its thrown the bow out of tune and the other caused the string to jump the cam.

svivian

WKR
Do bow companies not sell bows in the places like Arizona because the 120 degree weather might make the explode? Or do they attach warnings?

Dyneema (the most heat intolerant material I'm aware of being used in bow strings) is rated for prolonged exposure up to 70 C (158 F) and short excisions up to 100 C (212 F). There are places in the US where the ambient temperature in a car might get above 158 F, but probably not the case for most of us.

158 F will result in 3rd degree burns in a few seconds with hot liquids. Granted a solid surface will contain less heat energy and transfer it less effectively, but it is still a temp you will not be wanting to touch. Other that directly sun exposed materials, even on 115 degree days in San Antonio, TX things never got close to that hot in a vehicle to my memory.

So, definitely keep it out of the sun, a cooler is probably overkill, but if it makes you feel better and does not add too much hassle, who cares.
I would be more worried about the limbs than the strings in heat

OP
GuyinIdaho

GuyinIdaho

Lil-Rokslider
and whats wrong with taking precautions? If its a simple step I have to take to protect all the time and money I have put into my bow I will do it everytime. I dont plan on starting a fire in my house but I have a fire extinguisher

Using the mythbusters scale

Confirmed - high temps inside a car can harm some bows
Plausible - high temps inside a car might not harm your particular bow
Busted - high temps inside a car definitely will not harm any bow

ultimately risk acceptance is up to the individual.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
and whats wrong with taking precautions? If its a simple step I have to take to protect all the time and money I have put into my bow I will do it everytime. I dont plan on starting a fire in my house but I have a fire extinguisher
Nothing, and I said as much in my first post.

As I originally pointed out, precautions are about practicality. If you really wanted to protect your bow you would leave it at home, someone might steal it from your vehicle. But, that solution is not practical for you. If dealing with ice frequently is practical for you, then go for it. If it turns out not to be, putting your bow in the case and insuring the case is in the shade will likely be adequate, as pointed out by other posters.

stings and cables are under extreme tension so I would guess that it doesnt require temps above 158F to affect your bow. I have personally known people that have left their bow in a car and its thrown the bow out of tune and the other caused the string to jump the cam.
That is the continuous safe use temperature. Nothing about using it in a bow magically changes the materials properties. Beyond that, bow strings are far removed from the life safety applications a lot of dyneema line is used for.

DuckDogDr

WKR
Glad I saw this thread. I’m actually about to buy a bow (I hope) tomorrow or Thursday. But I was wondering this same question as I knew my stick bows would be susceptible to delaminating from the heat .
Luckily my bosses here and at my main gig don’t care what I do. So I can bring mine inside . Heat the last 2 days has reached 102 .

My gun smith is just 5 miles away from my main gig (opposite side of home). I’ve brought my hunting rifles in the clinic before and place them in the bedroom and technicians just roll their eyes.IMG_7065.jpeg

My Bowtech literally delaminated limbs today after two hours in the car. It was in a padded case and I thought it would be fine. Cannot believe it! IMG_20230718_195025572.jpg

Yeah several years ago before office sold off its archery range i would store it in a car in Texas. Paid the price when it came unglued got a nifty little scar on my left hand from that experience.

If you cannot do the cooler then shade, reflective sun screen, cracked windows better yet small 12v fan and a solar panel anything to keep you from turning your vehicle into an oven.

Do bow companies not sell bows in the places like Arizona because the 120 degree weather might make the explode? Or do they attach warnings?

Dyneema (the most heat intolerant material I'm aware of being used in bow strings) is rated for prolonged exposure up to 70 C (158 F) and short excisions up to 100 C (212 F). There are places in the US where the ambient temperature in a car might get above 158 F, but probably not the case for most of us.

158 F will result in 3rd degree burns in a few seconds with hot liquids. Granted a solid surface will contain less heat energy and transfer it less effectively, but it is still a temp you will not be wanting to touch. Other that directly sun exposed materials, even on 115 degree days in San Antonio, TX things never got close to that hot in a vehicle to my memory.

So, definitely keep it out of the sun, a cooler is probably overkill, but if it makes you feel better and does not add too much hassle, who cares.

It's not like the strings are going to blow up, but the bows will come out of tune.

Screenshot_20230719_072005_Chrome.jpg

30 degrees C can cause creep.

Were your windows rolled all the way up?

What kind of bow case?
Windows were all the way up, but car was partially in the shade and it was only two hours. Not sure on the brand of case, but the typical hard case with foam padding. My brother's Hoyt was in the car without a case and it was fine. I will say that my bow has been in the vehicle longer and hotter than that before with no ill affects, so I cannot explain it. It was crazy to see this thread right after it just happened to me. Never thought about it before.

svivian

WKR
Depending on the brand and year of bow the limbs will delaminate in prolonged heat like that.

BDRam16

WKR
I just talked about this on another thread. Several years ago I had no idea this was a problem. I left my carbon Bowtech in my truck for probably two years straight without so much as a thought. Never had any limb issues. I might have just been lucky.

What I will say though is I do feel like I was having to mess with the tune a lot. I chocked it up to the bow and ultimately bought my Mathews because of it. In hindsight it was probably the string stretch from the heat.