Bozeman Area RMGA Survey 8/9-10

mmw194287

WKR
Thought I'd share this email from the Rocky Mountain Goat Alliance. Hope this doesn't offend anyone as unapproved advertising/spam, but I thought that there might be a few Roksliders interested in this trip.

They will be conducting a goat count in the Madison Range near Bozeman on August 9th and 10th and they are looking for as many volunteers as they can get. As you can see below, this will be an overnight backpack trip (Saturday to Sunday), so it is a great opportunity to stretch your legs, get your gear dialed in, and meet some great people, all while helping to expand hunting opportunities for these awesome animals. It should be an excellent time in some beautiful country.

If you are interested, email or call Peter Muennich--

[email protected] or (406) 551-5104

Below is the email I received this AM:

"Good Morning Volunteers,

This is Pete Muennich from the Rocky Mountain Goat Alliance. First and foremost, thank you for your interest in volunteering with the RMGA on next weekend's vital survey in the Madison range. Without your participation, these surveys do not work.

As you all know, we will be surveying HD-326 on August 9th & 10th. This is an extremely rugged patch of the Madison Range and will require volunteers to overnight backpack into key-use areas and document goat sightings.

In a perfect world, we will divide into four teams. Search Part #1 will be accessing the search area from the Taylor Fork drainage, hiking up Taylor Creek into the Tumble Down basin, camping at Tumble Down Lake, and summiting Koch peak. This is the "crow's nest" of the search area.

Search Team #2 will be hiking up Alps Creek towards Imp Peak (south of Woodward Mountain as well as team #1). This drainage is the southern border of the HD and can not be seen from Koch. Likely to be the easiest of the hikes.

Search Team #3 will be headed towards No Man Lake/Peak. To access this search area, the team will have to come from the west side of the range, south of Ennis. Long but easy hike.

Search Team #4 will be headed for a mountainous feature called "The Wedge" southwest of Koch peak. From this feature, the team can look to the north and north east at a some great habitat that again, can not be seen from Koch peak.

If you have any particular interest in one of these search areas, please let us know asap. Search area #4 could possibly be surveyed from county roads below with good spotting scopes if we can not get a team to hike to The Wedge. It's a rough hike.

I personally will be headed to Koch and would gladly take anyone with me on that hike. It will be a challenging but rewarding hike. PLEASE recruit any and all volunteers you may be able to. We are in desperate need of help on this particular survey.

If we can not wrangle together any other volunteers, we might end up surveying as one team to the Tumbledown/Koch peak area and then spreading out.

This is an overnight backpack survey. Please bring a tent, sleeping bag/pad, good boots, the best glass you can find, sunscreen, water, food, cameras to document our outing, and ANYTHING else you will want in the back country.

Please call me with any questions. I look forward to talking with all of you and hitting the trails next week. The majority of us are from Bozeman so our Saturday morning, 8:00am rendezvous will be in Four Corners on the southeast side of the intersection.

Again, recruit your friends and family to join. Our success will lie in our numbers. Thanks for your interest and support."

Thanks for taking the time to read!

I'm looking forward to the RMGA goat survey in Washington the following weekend. I wish you guys good luck with this one in Montana. If my buddy and I weren't fly fishing in Canada I'd talk him into making a road trip to Montana for this one too!