Browning X-Bolt 2 Speed, 7 PRC Field Evaluation

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Paint pen or nail polish. When taken apart, just wipe down with alcohol or brake cleaner and reapply. No need to completely remove all the old.
Thanks! Already on the nail polish train. The paint pen looks like an easier to apply option

I have had five X-bolts and five browning shotguns that have been hunted hard... some in rain, sleet, snow.
Lots of sand and dust with my X-bolts here in WY.
Never had a trigger issue... ever.
First I have heard of it.
I have a hell's canyon x bolt in 300 win mag. It's very picky with docent loads at over 300 yards. Have you had similar experiences?

manitou1

WKR
I have a hell's canyon x bolt in 300 win mag. It's very picky with docent loads at over 300 yards. Have you had similar experiences?
The ones I have now have been the least picky centerfires I ever loaded for. Very accurate.
None are 300 Win mag though.

The other two never got a lot of load experience before I traded them.

Juno07

FNG
Any chance you could try the federal loading of the eldx? There's been some internet chrono reports of it being close to advertised 3k fps.

The hornady precision hinder seems to have fallen flat on its ass according to youtube shooters showing the low 2800's.

Ajsomp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Most of the browning I have handled have been pretty spot on. I’d be interested in the speed SPR version with the shorter barrel

Darryle

WKR
Received this in a text over night

Browning X-Bolt Target Max Competition Lite 6.5 Creedmoor $1010

These will fit in McMillan stocks, 5rd Pmag works and feeds fine, trigger is excellent compared to the original X-Bolt, same heavy sporter barrel as the Long Range Max, new style tunable Recoil Hawg brake. Murphy Precision is manufacturing a stainless or titanium rail for them now.

The bottom half of the Target action is the same contour as the original X-Bolt action, the factory stock is 47/48oz with the ARCA/Swiss rail.

I am hoping that the bottom contour of the action on the new X-Bolt 2s are the same, will make it easy to upgrade stocks for those wanting the traditional, non-adjustable, hunting stock. Will also make it easier to convince Stockys, AG Composites, Manners to get on board with stock offerings.

Hoping someone close by @Formidilosus has a long action X-Bolt so they could do a quick test fit to verify the bottom contour.

IMG_3834.jpegIMG_3668.jpeg

Ajsomp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
This is Field Evaluation of the Browning X-Bolt 2 Speed in 7 PRC. This rifle was sent to RS to be evaluated. Browning is aware of the other Field Evaluations and that is what they wanted. This will be a long term/high use annd round count evaluation. Browning wanted this rifle to be evaled in 7 PRC.
The ammo so far is Hornady- a mix of 160gr CX, 180gr ELD-M, and 175gr ELD-X factory ammo.

You can see the specs and info here-

The base version is that this model has a specific anti bind bolt, adjustable comb, LOP, and swappable grips. The barrel is 24” and threaded.

First, the action screws had some version of thread locker on them from the factory, and were torqued appropriately-
View attachment 704395

Second, there are no 1 piece pic rails available for the X-Bolt 2 LA action yet. A two piece for an X-Bolt works-
View attachment 704396

Thought this was interesting given recent threads-
View attachment 704397

View attachment 704398

Mounted the March 1.5-15x as a temporary optic to get shooting some.

Hornady Outfitter ammunition with 160gr CX bullet shot very poorly- around 5 MOA at 100 yards.
View attachment 704402

This is not the first time I have seen this, so it caused no real concern.

Next was 180gr ELD-M match which shot just fine at just under 1.5 MOA for ten shots.

View attachment 704401

A bit more shooting was done, without issue. Feed, fire, and function were all correct without drama. The barrel is freefloated acceptably (though too long for me at 24”) the trigger is fine at the factory setting (3.5’ish lbs), the magazine works correctly, etc. So far, no drama.

View attachment 704403

Update April 26th-

Swapped scopes to a Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x

FFP.

Also hogged out the barrel channel as it was too close on the left side.

Before-
View attachment 704687

After-
View attachment 704688

View attachment 704689
@Formidilosus any reason to add the two piece rail vs direct mount rings like Talley/Hawkins etc. I understand the full rail advantages to set up proper eye relief on short scopes, but when having the option of two piece rail and traditional rings vs. direct mount I don’t see an advantage. I might be missing something though.

Darryle

WKR
@Formidilosus any reason to add the two piece rail vs direct mount rings like Talley/Hawkins etc. I understand the full rail advantages to set up proper eye relief on short scopes, but when having the option of two piece rail and traditional rings vs. direct mount I don’t see an advantage. I might be missing something though.

Well, for this rifle he used the 2 piece because there was not a picatinny rail option available for the X-Bolt 2 at the time of testing.

Personally, I prefer the Warne Maxima bases, but it limits you to using Weaver style rings.

Any chance you could try the federal loading of the eldx? There's been some internet chrono reports of it being close to advertised 3k fps.

The hornady precision hinder seems to have fallen flat on its ass according to youtube shooters showing the low 2800's.
I have a Tikka 7prc with a proof research 22" barrel and it's averaging 2831 fps during the barrel break in first 20 rounds of Hornady eldx. I think the YouTuber numbers are accurate

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

That’s what was in stock.

Unckebob

WKR
This is Field Evaluation of the Browning X-Bolt 2 Speed in 7 PRC. This rifle was sent to RS to be evaluated. Browning is aware of the other Field Evaluations and that is what they wanted. This will be a long term/high use annd round count evaluation. Browning wanted this rifle to be evaled in 7 PRC.
The ammo so far is Hornady- a mix of 160gr CX, 180gr ELD-M, and 175gr ELD-X factory ammo.

You can see the specs and info here-

The base version is that this model has a specific anti bind bolt, adjustable comb, LOP, and swappable grips. The barrel is 24” and threaded.

First, the action screws had some version of thread locker on them from the factory, and were torqued appropriately-
View attachment 704395

Second, there are no 1 piece pic rails available for the X-Bolt 2 LA action yet. A two piece for an X-Bolt works-
View attachment 704396

Thought this was interesting given recent threads-
View attachment 704397

View attachment 704398

Mounted the March 1.5-15x as a temporary optic to get shooting some.

Hornady Outfitter ammunition with 160gr CX bullet shot very poorly- around 5 MOA at 100 yards.
View attachment 704402

This is not the first time I have seen this, so it caused no real concern.

Next was 180gr ELD-M match which shot just fine at just under 1.5 MOA for ten shots.

View attachment 704401

A bit more shooting was done, without issue. Feed, fire, and function were all correct without drama. The barrel is freefloated acceptably (though too long for me at 24”) the trigger is fine at the factory setting (3.5’ish lbs), the magazine works correctly, etc. So far, no drama.

View attachment 704403

Update April 26th-

Swapped scopes to a Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x

FFP.

Also hogged out the barrel channel as it was too close on the left side.

Before-
View attachment 704687

After-
View attachment 704688

View attachment 704689

Why did you write in orange where the scope mount was going?

Darryle

WKR
Why did you write in orange where the scope mount was going?
Answer to your question

Which/where? It’s used a me a thread locker and for witness marks. I also put it under scope bases for a bit of adhesive.
Paint pen or nail polish. When taken apart, just wipe down with alcohol or brake cleaner and reapply. No need to completely remove all the old.

@Formidilosus is this the teflon pad you are referring to that helps with the bolt binding issues?

IMG_3903.jpeg

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Updates post #2.

1st round hit the first shot past 100 yards, on a 14” target at 760 yards in nasty cross canyon winds, as well as 1st round hit at 1,140 yards on a 24” target. Went 18/20 IRRC at 1,140y in 18-24 mph, multi canyon winds.

IMG_8587.jpeg

1,140 yards-

Last edited: