Browning X-Bolt 2 Speed, 7 PRC Field Evaluation

Just a heads up if any one is intrigued by this review... Blowout pricing on the the X-Bolt Pro McMillan (Surpressor Ready/22" Barrel) model below in 7prc...

$1,500 out the door. The 6.5 PRC was marked at this price but appears to have been marked back up to around $2200 in the past hour or so.

I realize it isn’t the x-bolt 2 that Form is reviewing but differences are minimal assuming you’d change the trigger spring here..

Have you purchased from them before?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Out of the Browning offerings, which stocks do you prefer/recommend and which do you try to avoid?

Anymore updates?

That X-Bolt Max SPR looks to have the best designed stock for shooting.

And no more real update, have shot it a bit more- uneventful.

That X-Bolt Max SPR looks to have the best designed stock for shooting.

And no more real update, have shot it a bit more- uneventful.
What are your overall thoughts on the 7PRC? I’ve enjoyed mine but curious about more experienced shooters thoughts. Ballistically, it’s been easier to shoot than my 308 at distance.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
What are your overall thoughts on the 7PRC? I’ve enjoyed mine but curious about more experienced shooters thoughts. Ballistically, it’s been easier to shoot than my 308 at distance.

It’s good for what it is- a correctly designed large 7mm cartridge. Like all “magnums” it recoils more than optimum for light to normal weight rifles.

NSI

WKR
It’s good for what it is- a correctly designed large 7mm cartridge. Like all “magnums” it recoils more than optimum for light to normal weight rifles.
I was somewhat reticent to shoot a new 8lb 7 PRC tikka I built for a friend (against my strident recommendations for a 6cm- can’t win em all). In a Stocky’s VG and Hyperion K, the recoil was dare I say pleasant from prone and kneeling. Certainly too much to spot shots at 300. But had me re-thinking the cartridge for a dedicated long range target rifle (use a 300wsm now). In a heavier rifle with a more substantial recoil pad, I could see really enjoying it. Suppression is the spice of life.
IMG_0134.jpeg
-J

manitou1

WKR
Out of the Browning offerings, which stocks do you prefer/recommend and which do you try to avoid?

Anymore updates?
I have really been liking my X-bolt max LR stock compared to the standard X-bolt stock configurations (which I have or have had four of). It is a dream to shoot but with that you pay a penalty in weight.

I was somewhat reticent to shoot a new 8lb 7 PRC tikka I built for a friend (against my strident recommendations for a 6cm- can’t win em all). In a Stocky’s VG and Hyperion K, the recoil was dare I say pleasant from prone and kneeling. Certainly too much to spot shots at 300. But had me re-thinking the cartridge for a dedicated long range target rifle (use a 300wsm now). In a heavier rifle with a more substantial recoil pad, I could see really enjoying it. Suppression is the spice of life.
View attachment 710819
-J
Yeah I actually find my 9lb 7PRC to be fine if suppressed. Really don’t like shooting it bare but I’m a recoil sissy and had not shot a true magnum prior. I’m working on getting it into the high 8lb area soon with a few tweaks.

BCD

WKR
Updated to post #2.

151 rounds on the rifle. No cleaning or barrel “break-in”, ten round group today with the barrel sizzling water-
View attachment 708966

The ejection is a bit weak/off a bit, and if the bolt isn’t run quickly the brass can get knocked back into the action by the rear scope ring.

View attachment 708967
What rings and mounts are these? Thank You!!

I like that people can no get this rifle with adjustable cheek and grip.

Browning should produce spacers with variable height so we could do a spacer swap and get that buttpad up

I know a browning fan that I would love to get into a rifle that’s back end actually worked for them.

Aside, browning “people” have to be the most brand loyal of any product on the face of the planet.
Try suggesting that Toyota vehicles have many issues....You'd think you called their mom something unbecoming.

That’s a decent price, buts it’s about the worst designed stock on the market. They make several other models with much better stocks.
I’m curious, what don’t you like about that stock? I have never tried the 2.0, but I have the old game warden and it seems ok. I’m just curious.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I’m curious, what don’t you like about that stock? I have never tried the 2.0, but I have the old game warden and it seems ok. I’m just curious.

The extreme drop at heel, horribly angled toe line, angled forend, too long trigger reach, and bump on the grip. For starters.