Brush busting Simms Waders

2 seperate customer service issues with Simms and both were handled in outstanding fashion. G3's have worn very well and my first pair which are un-needed backups are over 20 years old and still as dry today as the day i bought them..
My name is Mike and I am a Simms fanboy.

I use my Simms G3s for Animal Damage Control work and take them through a lot of terrible brush, over barbed wire fences, etc. They've been great.

I use my Simms G3s for Animal Damage Control work and take them through a lot of terrible brush, over barbed wire fences, etc. They've been great.
As in for nuisance beaver trapping? I need a new pair of waders and have been looking at the G3s but I would also like to use them during spring trapping season and not have to also buy a pair of neoprenes. There is not much of an abrasion issue with setting a #4 double long spring over my thigh, but that is currently the potential fear that's stopping me from purchasing the G3s.

As in for nuisance beaver trapping? I need a new pair of waders and have been looking at the G3s but I would also like to use them during spring trapping season and not have to also buy a pair of neoprenes. There is not much of an abrasion issue with setting a #4 double long spring over my thigh, but that is currently the potential fear that's stopping me from purchasing the G3s.

Yes sir. I run mostly cable restraints and cages but do set footholds over my thigh without any worry. The G3s also hold up way better than neoprene against the culvert edges and riprap I end up against all the time.

I don’t use waders, but something similar for hunting in marshes here in Wisconsin. These were made by a different company years ago, but I believe the owner passed away. This is the same boot combo. Really tough in brush

I wear my Simms duck hunting in NC when it's not super cold.

I really do like my Simms but they've started to develop wet spots and I couldn't keep up with patching pinholes (using the rubbing alcohol Gore-tex trick). I sent them in to see if Simms could patch them up and they returned them saying nothing they could do.

They are great waders but I was a little let down with the warranty/repair process after paying so dang much for them. I'll probably go back to brush busting with cheapies...

Swampy moose hunter up north right here.

I use the g3 a d have had great luck with them, I fish in them all season and moose hunt with them, float hunt, boat hunt, hike and bust brush. I havnt had a leak or tear or anything.

They are one of my favorite pieces of gear.

Yes sir. I run mostly cable restraints and cages but do set footholds over my thigh without any worry. The G3s also hold up way better than neoprene against the culvert edges and riprap I end up against all the time.
Good to know. Looks like I will be spending some money here shortly.

If you're busting brush with G3's, save some cash if/when you tear them and patch with shoe goo. Cheap, and works great.

Simms G3's work fantastic for me, way better than the Cabela's they replaced. Two buddies hunting in USIA waders, the custom fit is awesome for them and they feel bombproof, although to be expected with the thicker materials. Simms warranty is something to consider, I don't think anyone else can compete.

another really good wader option are the Dryft waders, they are the best bang for your buck these days. i switched to them from G3's... G3's are great waders, but for the money, the Dryft waders are what i will continue buying.

saw USIA mentioned earlier in the thread, the material is tough, but Kim won't address the seam issue on the inside of the legs, and seams inside the legs of waders makes them not at all durable.... they wear out quick on that seam with not a lot of walking, and it's a hard place to patch. they suck to do much walking in regardless. i had a pair of his waders in the past, and one of his drysuits, for a shell drysuit it was good, but the waders were no good for my needs and didn't hold up at all, even though the material is very tough.... seams inside of the legs aren't. if you plan on doing much hiking in waders, avoid waders with seams going up the inside of the legs..... i don't understand companies still building waders that way, it a very well known downfall

another really good wader option are the Dryft waders, they are the best bang for your buck these days. i switched to them from G3's... G3's are great waders, but for the money, the Dryft waders are what i will continue buying.

saw USIA mentioned earlier in the thread, the material is tough, but Kim won't address the seam issue on the inside of the legs, and seams inside the legs of waders makes them not at all durable.... they wear out quick on that seam with not a lot of walking, and it's a hard place to patch. they suck to do much walking in regardless. i had a pair of his waders in the past, and one of his drysuits, for a shell drysuit it was good, but the waders were no good for my needs and didn't hold up at all, even though the material is very tough.... seams inside of the legs aren't. if you plan on doing much hiking in waders, avoid waders with seams going up the inside of the legs..... i don't understand companies still building waders that way, it a very well known downfall
Any more specifics on the Dryft waders as to why you prefer them?
Thanks

Any more specifics on the Dryft waders as to why you prefer them?
Thanks
they are just very comparable to G3's, they are shaped right, well designed, and seemingly the same or better longevity. an equal product for a lot less money. it would be amazing if i got 3 seasons out of waders before the maintenance gets impossible, that's just the facts for me, waders are a disposable item to me, just like boots or hunting rain gear... Simms are great waders, but i like the Dryfts just as much. i think Simms pricing is inflated. if they lasted longer or had a better warranty, i would have never looked anywhere else..... i spend a lot of days in waders and cover lots of country in them, they don't last very long 300 bucks vs 550 bucks makes it a no brainer to me, i generally buy waders every 2 years.... if i was the type who got 7-8 years out of a pair of waders, i wouldn't care, but at the rate i kill them, the Dryft are a better option

Like what's already been said here many times, they are plenty tough. I don't think you'll find a more durable, breathable, wader than Simms, and the G4's are particularly impressive in regards to durability. We have 5 pairs of Simms waders, the oldest pair dating back to the late 1990's/early 2000's, and they still get used occasionally.

I love my Simms but after a couple years busting NM rivers an Alaskan fishing trip and an Alaskan moose float hunt I had to do some repairs which was fairly easy, probably 10 pin holes on the front side of the legs and a couple of almost scrape throughs on the tail side of which leaked enough to get my butt wet. Even with that I still really like them and would buy them again, I'll probably send them in to get professionally fixed up before my next moose hunt. I know you didn't mention the boots but the guide boot are very comfortable for busting over land obstacles.
Which model Simm's do you have?
Thanks.

Just stopped at River's Edge Fly Shop in Bozeman to get fitted for Simm's waders and boots as well as to get their opinion on what model would best fit my needs of use during the month of September in AK and then sitting idle the rest of the year.
The sales rep felt I should go with the Tributary waders. He said with only 3 or 4 weeks of use each year they should last a long time. After listening to him and his reasons I agreed and am going to give them a try.
It was also very beneficial to be able to try on the waders and boots to zero in on the sizes I needed.
The stop was a great sidebar to our backpacking trip in the Frank.
Hope this helps someone.

Back