Bugle Report

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
We hunted this past week in the Panhandle. Sat through Tuesday only heard one bull. The found fresh Wolf tracks in the area we were hunting.

Moved 5 miles away and got a solo bull to talk on Wednesday and Thursday but could not get the right set up. Had him within 40 yards, but in standard Northern Idaho Fashion, never saw him.

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
It is ON in SW MT - right now. Dang work got in the way this afternoon but, I'll be back out there in the morning. Had bulls screaming in all directions starting last evening. This morning was just epic!!! Had a monster on the hook for 45 mins only to have him bail just before I had him in-line for the wife to send one. It was one of those days you dream about all year! Like I said, getting this work thing done today and then......back at it before daylight!

AGPank

WKR
Hunted CO unit 12 around 8,500-9,000 ft from 9/4-9/7. A few locate bugles, a chuckle or two, and a couple squeals. Saw elk every day. Had a big spike at 25 yards. A 5-pt come to 50 yards, but brush was too thick to shoot. More luck of right place, because they weren’t responding to calling. Weather was warm and dry. High 40s in the morning, low 70s during the day. Tried to rain one day, but didn’t even get the ground wet. Elk were feeding all day out in the oak brush we could see across the valley, but off our property. Could have used a few more days, but had to make time for the family.

OP
sneaky

sneaky

"DADDY"
It is ON in SW MT - right now. Dang work got in the way this afternoon but, I'll be back out there in the morning. Had bulls screaming in all directions starting last evening. This morning was just epic!!! Had a monster on the hook for 45 mins only to have him bail just before I had him in-line for the wife to send one. It was one of those days you dream about all year! Like I said, getting this work thing done today and then......back at it before daylight!
I'm calling BS. I'm in SW MT and I've only heard two bulls all day lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Not_Lost

FNG
MT around PBurg. Had one bull respond yesterday but stopped at 70 yards. Small herd. Not a peep today when we went back in. Real hit or miss still. Another week should be firing on all cylinders

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm calling BS. I'm in SW MT and I've only heard two bulls all day lol

This last week in CO I talked to folks that were in the same drainage I was hunting and they all said they hadn't heard an elk all week, and I was within 50 yards of screaming bulls every outing except one. I got a little worried with all the ML hunters in there, as one morning there were at least 40+ bugles between the herd bull and I. The odd thing though is that with all those hunters out there, I've only heard one bugle from a hunter.

OP
sneaky

sneaky

"DADDY"
This last week in CO I talked to folks that were in the same drainage I was hunting and they all said they hadn't heard an elk all week, and I was within 50 yards of screaming bulls every outing except one. I got a little worried with all the ML hunters in there, as one morning there were at least 40+ bugles between the herd bull and I. The odd thing though is that with all those hunters out there, I've only heard one bugle from a hunter.
A week ago they were firing on all cylinders where I'm at. Started tapering down earlier this week, past couple of days have been extremely slow. I've seen elk, even watched a 300 6pt do that half hearted bugle. I had him and another 6 about the same size inside of 75 yards but they came in to cow calls quicker than I anticipated and pinned me down in an awful spot. Yesterday it was windy and rained, shut everything down.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Heading out for 4 days here in central MT, hoping this colder weather will get them cranked up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
They were fired up this weekend in Colorado. Had a couple screaming Saturday. Couldn't close the deal on one of them Saturday morning but got close. Saturday evening they went nuts. Had another close call but had bulls bugling all around just not enough light to keep chasing them. Sunday morning finally closed the deal on one. They were not as vocal Sunday morning but a couple were getting after it.

Huntin wv

Lil-Rokslider
Heard lots of bugling early last week in Colorado, nothing towards the end of the week. That may have been due to more pressure moving in during the week.

Went out yesterday and got into a 6-pt bull, not full on hot but did let out a couple bugles and chuckles once in a while. Western Montana.

Was out in CO unit 14 with a buddy for ML last week. One bugle early in the week and got a couple to answer a bugle later in the weeks. Grouse hunting with the bow was good.

rcfireninja

Lil-Rokslider
Last 3 days in SW Montana heard bugles from 5 pm till dark, then sporadic at night and some in morning till about 930 am. Was able to call in a satellite bull. Will post pics and story once I get home tomorrow.

mproberts

WKR
Last weekend in Central CO, we heard zero bugles, gotta assume the high temps shut them down a bit. It was in the low 80s at almost 10k ft.

They were going off this past weekend in CO.

Seems like they were still in bachelor groups on Wednesday, but by Saturday the rut was in full swing. They were sounding off all morning, slowing down some mid day, firing back up in the evening, and occasionally at night.

Last edited:

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
Had 9 different bulls bugle Saturday in southern Colorado. Only heard one Sunday, but found a bull bedded and he succumb to a cow call. He wasn’t buying it until I went straight at him breaking branches. I heard bulls all night and into the morning today while I was packing him out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hunted for the first week in the Missouri River Breaks.

Heard/saw some lazy bugles in the AM on Saturday the opener.

Same on Sunday morning.

Was after the bull form Sunday morning on Sunday night, heard a bugle at last light on Sunday night.

Went back Monday morning and coyote'd a herd all morning with a tanker bugling till about 10AM where I lost him in the timber.

Found him again with some cow mews that afternoon, chased him until dark, he was bugling his guts out starting about 6PM. Ended up arrowing a super nice satellite that moved in and raked a tree and bugled a few times.

Heard some bugles the rest of the week but not like on Monday. We saw solo bulls, bachelor group bulls, but mostly bulls with 20+ cows/spikes.
Headed back next week, buddy has a tag.