Burris FF 3-9x40mm Drop Eval Q&A

Yes. Until they aren’t.

The baseline is that it seems to be harder/more prone to failure/lose zero to make bases that use two small screws as reliable and as durable as one large bolt. It can be done, reference the UM Tikka rings. However, even they had issues with movement and screws breaking, and had to modify several things to eliminate it. For picatinny rings there is no functional advantage to deviate from the large, single bolt attachment.
any issues with the APA rings? Ive used a set for the last 3 years with out issue, hold zero, drop tested, just wondering if there is an issue down the road i am headed into.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
any issues with the APA rings? Ive used a set for the last 3 years with out issue, hold zero, drop tested, just wondering if there is an issue down the road i am headed into.

No, but I haven’t used any heavily in a long time. This isn’t me saying that Seekins or others won’t/don’t/haven’t worked. Just that with more use and seeing more sets of them, I am not inclined to go to a less reliable or potentially higher likelihood of issues item for no functional gain. I’m not swapping out the Seekins I have unless needed, but I am not choosing them or similar rings any more.

Yes. Until they aren’t.

The baseline is that it seems to be harder/more prone to failure/lose zero to make bases that use two small screws as reliable and as durable as one large bolt. It can be done, reference the UM Tikka rings. However, even they had issues with movement and screws breaking, and had to modify several things to eliminate it. For picatinny rings there is no functional advantage to deviate from the large, single bolt attachment.
Makes sense why you prefer the NF. Would you ever opt for the 6 bolt instead of the 4 bolt NF rings, or is it overkill? What are your thoughts on the ARC M-Brace rings vs the NF?

Yes. Until they aren’t.

Makes sense why you prefer the NF. Would you ever opt for the 6 bolt instead of the 4 bolt NF rings, or is it overkill? What are your thoughts on the ARC M-Brace rings vs the NF?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Makes sense why you prefer the NF. Would you ever opt for the 6 bolt instead of the 4 bolt NF rings,
or is it overkill?

I’ve used them but have seen no difference.

What are your thoughts on the ARC M-Brace rings vs the NF?

I haven’t used the ARC’s in a while until last year. I’m pretty sure they are the reason for some weirdness with the March 4.5-28x. Again, there’s no compelling reason to choose weird designs. Quality, simple pic rings are as close to bombproof and trouble free as you can get. I have no desire to complicate it.

@Formidilosus, in terms of a cheap set it and forget it, throw-on-a-loaner-rifle type scope, are these the best that you’ve seen in the ~13oz weight range? Obviously not a replacement for NF, but a pretty reliable option to have laying around?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@Formidilosus, in terms of a cheap set it and forget it, throw-on-a-loaner-rifle type scope, are these the best that you’ve seen in the ~13oz weight range? Obviously not a replacement for NF, but a pretty reliable option to have laying around?

This is a 20 year old scope that isn’t made anymore. My experience is with the original American made versions, the others may or may not be as good.

Kyguy

FNG
I'll add a comment here about the FFII from the Philipines.. Burris discontinued these, but you can still buy them from the "Burris Store" on Amazon and they're on Ebay occasionally as well.. I had good success with the USA made version in the past, so at the beginning of April, I ordered three through Amazon to put on a couple of rifles that would be considered basic hunting guns. They get shot at the range and used for hunting under 300 yds, so no need for anything fancy. All three of the scopes, brand new out of the box, had loose eye pieces. I mean LOOSE, they wiggled like crazy. Two of the them had major reticle shift when changing magnification. I know it's not a high dollar optic, but that these made it through QC is ridiculous. They went right back for a refund with post it notes on each box with the issue. There were no questions asked on the refund. Just buyer beware.