Burris Optics Overall Impressions/Reliability

gerry35

WKR
bwahahahaha..... The rear ring cracks me the heck up. The consistency of the cluelessness knows no bounds. You ever hear of a guy on here called Form? Don't lissen to me, but I urge you to read his little tutorial on scope mounting to maintain zero. Of particular note is the quotation "6) The farther apart the rings are, the better support for the scope tube. Ring spacing is a thing."

Rock on!......
No one cares buddy......

The rest of us would like to talk about Burris scopes.

Randy11

Lil-Rokslider
That's a next level asshole right there, good grief.

OP- I recently bought a 3-15x50 Veracity (non-PH). I haven't had a chance to check tracking yet, but the image and build quality ate both outstanding. I'm excited to put that scope through the ringer.

OP
General RE LEE
I snagged an XTR III us made a few weeks back. Think it’s my most impressive optic.

I was looking at the XTR III last night. How many revolutions do you get on the turret? I saw 120 MOA internal elevation adjustment so hopefully there isn't a turret rev restriction.

How's the glass in regards to low light performance, chromatic aberration and reticle visibility at low power?

Tahoe1305

WKR
I was looking at the XTR III last night. How many revolutions do you get on the turret? I saw 120 MOA internal elevation adjustment so hopefully there isn't a turret rev restriction.

How's the glass in regards to low light performance, chromatic aberration and reticle visibility at low power?
I’ll have to check when I get home. But from what I recall, zeroed on my rifle I get close to two full revs in Mil (20mil). That’s with a 20moa base. Let me confirm though. Bottom line way further than I ever plan to shoot. With a 6.5c that’s beyond a mile at my location.

jfk69

Lil-Rokslider
bwahahahaha..... The rear ring cracks me the heck up. The consistency of the cluelessness knows no bounds. You ever hear of a guy on here called Form? Don't lissen to me, but I urge you to read his little tutorial on scope mounting to maintain zero. Of particular note is the quotation "6) The farther apart the rings are, the better support for the scope tube. Ring spacing is a thing."

Rock on!......
Wow. What a phucktard.

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a used Burris Fullfield II off of the classifieds last year and mounted it on my daughter .243, so far it’s been great. I found another for a great price and bought for a .270 Win I have, but have not had a chance to use it.

I've been a fan of Burris optics since my first one I bought back in the late 90s. I went through a phase where my rifles only wore Burris Black Diamond's and I had a lot of success with those. I went away from them for a few years as I got into the long range game and they didn't have a scope I wanted, but I recently have come back to them with their XTR3. That scope is flat out impressive and I used it to kill 2 rock chucks over 1200 yards last year with my 223. I own some Kahles scopes that cost 2x the money and I don't feel handicapped shooting with the Burris.

I have 5 Burris Scopes. 2 Droptine 4.4-14x42s, both on rimfires, 2 Veracity SFP and this pictured XTRIII 3-18. The XTR is unimpressive given the price. The reticle is useless below about 7-8X. Eye box is tight. It's meh in low light. Glass is good and it adjusts as it should. The Droptines are a bargain. I got the Veracity scopes on closeout for just over $300 each and am happy with them.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I’ll have to check when I get home. But from what I recall, zeroed on my rifle I get close to two full revs in Mil (20mil). That’s with a 20moa base. Let me confirm though. Bottom line way further than I ever plan to shoot. With a 6.5c that’s beyond a mile at my location.
Confirmed. 21 mil up travel from zero with 20 MoA base. (~72 MOA)

gerry35

WKR
I have 5 Burris Scopes. 2 Droptine 4.4-14x42s, both on rimfires, 2 Veracity SFP and this pictured XTRIII 3-18. The XTR is unimpressive given the price. The reticle is useless below about 7-8X. Eye box is tight. It's meh in low light. Glass is good and it adjusts as it should. The Droptines are a bargain. I got the Veracity scopes on closeout for just over $300 each and am happy with them.

Thanks for the honest review on your XTR III. $300 is a crazy good price for a scope the quality the Veracity series.

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
Minor testimonial for a 2-10x40 Signature HD: Gun fell off my pack while double timing it down a hard pack dirt road. Next rounds fired showed no POI shift. I was pleased with that.

I like the reticle. I also like the locking turrets operation, though I have no comment on dialing accuracy beyond 250 yards at to this point. Seems like decent value to me.

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
I'm really interested in the click less turret idea on Veracity PH and Eliminator. Infinite adjustability would be an obvious advantage at long range. That, plus a heads up display in yards rather than mil/moa is very intuitive and eliminates a step in the process of shooting in the field . . . BUT I'm hesitant
1) does it track as accurately as turrets with mechanical clicks?
2) does it hold point of aim under heavy recoil?
3) does it maintain zero after getting dropped or banged around?

I haven't seen a hi quality, thorough review answer those questions yet

I have friends who swear by them, but I haven't had great luck with Burris products. Surprisingly, one of the few I haven't had to send back is a 3-9 Fullfield 2 on my daughter's 308. Issues have ranged from adjustment knobs that won't turn, to an inoperative parallax adjustment on an XTR. The XTR was returned to me the first time as "fixed" but was in the same condition I sent it. They took another shot at it and got the side focus working, but it nearly required channel locks to turn it. I sold it, with full disclosure.

I sent some older 10x50 Signature binoculars in for a stripped eye cup. They were replaced with 12x50, which I did not want. I asked if I could pay the difference and get some 10x binos. The answer was, "No, you get what you get". The 12x50 Signature HD focus is finicky and the focus changes every time you flex the hinge joint. The adjustable diopter has to be refocused every time you use it.

The first product I bought from them was a 3-9 compact that I put on a .284 Winchester Browning Micro medallion. The seal went bad and it fogged on a hunt. They repaired it for me. I still have the scope, but you can barely see through it.

I have had four of their variable pistol scopes with no problems at all. They were sold when I got out of hunting with single-shot pistols.

Their product offerings and ratings still intrigue me, but I will not buy from them anymore due to the high percentage of failures and multiple return issues.

ETA: It escaped my memory that the 10x50 Signature HD's that I returned had a stripped eye cup and a broken and floppy hinge. I dealt with the stripped eye cup, but when the hinge joint got floppy I reached out for help.

Last edited:

Kyguy

FNG
Burris, I'm on the fence with them lately. I bought three brand new Fullfield II on Amazon last month and had to send all three back because the eye pieces were so loose, I could hold the scope and move them about 1/16" in each direction. Refunded from the seller (Burris Store?). Disappointing. Then less than two weeks later, I had two older Euro Diamond 3-10 scopes that I bought used that both ended up getting sent in within a week of each other, and both were replaced due to no parts available. Initially they were getting replaced with Veracity 2-10, but I called them and they were going to let me pick whatever I wanted, and if the cost was higher than the $804 Veracity MSRP, I'd have to pay the difference. Of course, if the cost was lower, then that was on me, they wouldn't allow multiple items for one item, which I get. So I have two Signature HD 5-25x50 Plex on the way, which are going to end up sold since I already replaced the Euro Diamonds. So not disappointing on that part. I've been buying and trying lots of different stuff in the last year and a half (kids grown and no debt except house) and it's been a shit show, to be honest. These were all new in box scopes I've sent back to either the retailer or to the manufacturer: 6 out of 8 different Bushnell scopes, 4 of 8 Burris, a Trijicon, 2 Leupold (no surprise, my track record with them is the worst out of any company), 1 of 3 Hawke. There's been 5 used scopes (Bushnell, Leupold, Burris, Simmons) that I bought on ebay or gunbroker that all had issues and were sent in for warranty. Funny, or oddly, enough, I've had more issues with the stuff that $400-$1100 than the lower priced stuff that ran $150-$200. It's par for the course for life this year though.

rockymtnsam

Lil-Rokslider
I'm really interested in the click less turret idea on Veracity PH and Eliminator. Infinite adjustability would be an obvious advantage at long range. That, plus a heads up display in yards rather than mil/moa is very intuitive and eliminates a step in the process of shooting in the field . . . BUT I'm hesitant
1) does it track as accurately as turrets with mechanical clicks?
2) does it hold point of aim under heavy recoil?
3) does it maintain zero after getting dropped or banged around?

I haven't seen a hi quality, thorough review answer those questions yet
I love my Veracity PH (2023 model). This probably won't answer all of your questions, but:

1. Tracking - I zeroed my 35 year old Savage 7mm Rem Mag with no brake at 100 yards (yes, it kicks like a mule). Using Vortex Pro rings. Progressively dialed all the way out from 1, 2, 300 on paper with no issues. Consistently shot around 1 MOA. Dialed to 468, 500, and 628 and hit steel dead center. Dialed back to 300 on paper, shot just under 1 MOA (I believe it was 2.6").
2. I don't have a brake on my 7mm and couldn't see a damn thing after I shot, but my dad was spotting and confirmed hits on steel every time after I dialed, and I did re-center and look at my shots on paper and have had no issues.
3. I was hunting elk this past season where I live in CO, and leaned my rifle against a tree, it fell over and hit another log, landed on the scope and then fell into the snow. Drove back into town that afternoon, put 3 shots downrange, zero issues.

Burris also stands by their forever warranty which is another reason I'm not too worried if I have any issues with the scope in the future, but no problems so far.

I'm actually purchasing a 7 PRC and going to put the new model on my 7 PRC and keep the older model on my 7mm Rem Mag. Hope that helps!