Buying a truck in this crazy market?

Unfortunately I've found myself needing a truck. After looking at all sorts of used trucks over the last month, I still don't have anything and no clear direction on what I even want anymore. The prices on used are just insane. 6 or 7 year old F150 with 80k miles is still $35000 OTD. Maybe I'm a cheap asshole, but I just don't see the value in a truck that old with no warranty and already starting to rust.

My needs in a truck are;
Crew cab
No little turbo gas engines
No cylinder deactivation
Capable of towing 7-8000lbs (fairly rarely but still needs to be capable, 4000 often)

Do I just pay cash for an older truck that's in excellent shape and rust free and just know I'm probably going to have to wrench on it from time to time? And probably over pay slightly.

Start looking into new trucks? It would be my only vehicle payment.

I will add, the truck won't be my daily driver. Just for hunting and fishing on the weekends. 1 cross country trip a year is typical.

If you were in my shoes, which direction do you think you'd go?

2five7

WKR
Well, you won't find much for 35k in the brand new market. Possibly a stripped down base model, maybe. Everyone is having to overpay the last 2 years, no way around it, and it won't likely get any better.

zacattack

WKR
The used market is insane right now. No way I would look at used. My current truck is gaining value every time I check.
I don’t know where you are but here you have to order new, and most are 2 to 3 months out depending on what you want.
Good luck it’s a shitty time to be car buying.

OP
A
Well, you won't find much for 35k in the brand new market. Possibly a stripped down base model, maybe. Everyone is having to overpay the last 2 years, no way around it, and it won't likely get any better.
Should have been more clear, If looking new I know I'll have to up my budget.

Those ford 3.5 eco boost trucks seem to be really holding up for themselves. Was told the new Toyota Tundra trucks with the turbo were really impressive, but the reliability is unknown at this point. I wouldn’t hesitate with the ford. I do agree that the ones that deactivate cylinders are to stay away from. No way I’d buy a used one without knowledge of whether or not they used that option or not.

Like you, in the next year I plan on buying a new to me truck. My needs are bit different as I’m gonna get a 3/4 ton. But the prices are nuts. And I’ll probably work out of it most of the time so throwin $60k at a new one is a bit sickening.

If you can afford it I would look at at new trucks.
The used truck market does not make any sense to me either. 30,000 plus for trucks with 100,000+ miles on them, is nuts.
This is probably the one time in my life in my vehicle increased in value, I could easily sell it for 10,000 more than when I bought it.

tdhanses

WKR
I’d go new, if you don’t get all the bells and whisles you’ll be in the 45k range, have warranty and 80k miles less. Seems worth it for $10k more, just find a dealer that doesn’t do markups over msrp and order it, a new F250 is almost a year out fyi so don’t think on it too long.

My be worth flying to pick one up as well.

Last edited:
i went through a similar thing a year ago... heavily weighing our options, new made the most sense.... doing the math, it wasn't even a difficult decision.

i also agree with wapitibob, 8k is a lot for a 1/2 ton regardless of the ratings, my boat is just shy of 6k# and i wouldn't want to pull much more with a 1/2 ton, feels like hard miles as is

Not a good time to anything for the most part. The "talking head" economy folks are talking recession within the next year. Not sure how long that translates into used truck prices returning to planet earth (if it does) . If you can keep the old truck going that's what I would do. If you "need" to buy I can't think of a worse time. When's the last time you saw a truck"rebate" commercial? Your in Michigan pretty close to the pulse of the auto industry. Good luck in a seller's market.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you can wait.........I would.

Housing, land, and vehicle markets are like the stock market. Not a good time to buy at all time highs when everyone and their brother are buying. That's when you sell. Then start buying when everyone and their brother is selling.......and can't find buyers.

Dented

WKR
Grainger Ford is on the Ford Forum, selling new trucks 2% under invoice. 90 some odd pages of people ordering, dealing, etc. Lots of positive feedback. Might be an option. They're in Iowa. Bit of a trip for you but maybe you can make it work.