Buying a truck in this crazy market?

Absolutely, on price increases based on length of financing. 144 months on a boat! 50year on a house! Its all about the monthly payment. Most salesman of large items will haggle about prices ,but are more concerned if someone is going to be financed and how long to make it fit for your monthly payment. Meanwhile the fool on the other end has no idea what's he's paying for the product in total in the end. Previously auto loan 24-36 month. Now 60-72 months. Prices so high very few could tolerate a monthly payment that high. (This is also why college education is so expensive. Government loans and cash everywhere. Colleges have minimal incentive to be competitive in pricing)

z987k

WKR
Oh, you can pull it no problem ….you just won’t be able to stop it quickly if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do people really pull trailers that heavy without trailer brakes? Or do they just not plug them in?

j33

WKR
My favorite: "a 6000lb half ton can't tow 8000 lbs!".... Meanwhile "a 8000lb 3/4 ton has no issues pulling 15,000 lbs".... I agree after owning three half tons and three 3/4 tons over the last 10 years HD is the way to go for towing, but I would be way more comfortable pulling with a newer half ton vs my old 2000 dodge 2500.

Rebates are back on ram 1500's as there is good inventory. MSRP will never come down due to material price increases but rebates will come back gradually. Ford and GM still have microchip issues so don't have inventory for rebates.

Do people really pull trailers that heavy without trailer brakes? Or do they just not plug them in?
Trailer brakes don’t work the same as brakes on your vehicle. There’s no ABS. They for sure help. It’s also not just trailer brakes. Look at 1/2 ton rotors and pads and look at 3/4 and ton rotors and pads. You take a 1/2 ton, max it out on its towing capacity or even exceed it and you can burn your brakes up in a hurry. Look at semis, they generally have as good of a brake system as there is, and the trailer brakes probably fail more often than any of them. I will agree, maintenance is the key to good systems running properly.

tdhanses

WKR
Trailer brakes don’t work the same as brakes on your vehicle. There’s no ABS. They for sure help. It’s also not just trailer brakes. Look at 1/2 ton rotors and pads and look at 3/4 and ton rotors and pads. You take a 1/2 ton, max it out on its towing capacity or even exceed it and you can burn your brakes up in a hurry. Look at semis, they generally have as good of a brake system as there is, and the trailer brakes probably fail more often than any of them. I will agree, maintenance is the key to good systems running properly.
Do you lock up your trailer brakes and not adjust them for each load? Guess i’m not following you when trailer brakes work perfectly fine at slowing a trailer, if your tow vehicle is doing the majority of work your using them wrong. Do you think a semi hauling 80,000lbs+ has the semi do 90% of braking?

I’m more concerned with axles and suspension handling transfers of weight when I have a trailer with brakes, the brakes on today’s half tons are vastly better then early 2000’s 3/4 tons.

Reactions: j33
Do you lock up your trailer brakes and not adjust them for each load? Guess i’m not following you when trailer brakes work perfectly fine at slowing a trailer, if your tow vehicle is doing the majority of work your using them wrong. Do you think a semi hauling 80,000lbs+ has the semi do 90% of braking?
Yes, you set the brakes to the load. But electric brakes don’t work near efficiently as hydraulic brakes or air brakes. I would also suggest letting the tow vehicle do the majority of the braking, but nowhere near the 90% you claim. Trailer brakes aren’t designed to stop the vehicle and trailer, just aid in slowing down as needed.

tdhanses

WKR
Yes, you set the brakes to the load. But electric brakes don’t work near efficiently as hydraulic brakes or air brakes. I would also suggest letting the tow vehicle do the majority of the braking, but nowhere near the 90% you claim. Trailer brakes aren’t designed to stop the vehicle and trailer, just aid in slowing down as needed.
I didn’t claim the 90%, was asking if you think that. Trailer brakes shouldn’t stop it, they should do most of the added work in slowing it, reducing strain on the tow vehicles brakes.

If we were still in the 80’s-90’s I’d get it but todays vehicles are way ahead of the old school thinking, stay within the mfg limits and use it as designed, that’s what’s legal and the mfg are on the hook if they say their product is capable but it isn’t.

I didn’t claim the 90%, was asking if you think that. Trailer brakes shouldn’t stop it, they should do most of the added work in slowing it, reducing strain on the tow vehicles brakes.
I’d really hate to put my trailer’s brakes thru the unneeded stresses of being the majority of my stopping power lol. There’s a reason my truck has brakes on all axles and my trailer don’t. They're just an aid.

tdhanses

WKR
I’d really hate to put my trailer’s brakes thru the unneeded stresses of being the majority of my stopping power lol. There’s a reason my truck has brakes on all axles and my trailer don’t. They're just an aid.
Why, would you rather your tow vehicles brakes fail first or your trailers? If your trailer brakes fail your tow vehicle for a short period is insurance, I would rather use up and replace trailer brakes. My tandem axle dump trailer and camper have brakes on all 4 tires/both axles, my single axle utility trailer has zero. Pretty crappy if a tandem axle trailer only has brakes on one axle. My utility trailer only has a 3200lb axle and around 2500lbs of capacity, it’s aluminum. The utility trailer at max capacity isn’t taxing my tow vehicles brakes.

Last edited:
Why, would you rather your tow vehicles brakes fail first or your trailers? If your trailer brakes fail your tow vehicle for a short period is insurance, I would rather use up and replace trailer brakes.
I’m not depending on my trailer brakes to being my stopping power. Improperly set trailer brakes is why they fail and once they fail, you’re screwed when you actually need them.

tdhanses

WKR
I’m not depending on my trailer brakes to being my stopping power. Improperly set trailer brakes is why they fail and once they fail, you’re screwed when you actually need them.
Sounds like your trailer only has brakes on one axle? What is it’s capacity? If you set them up properly then your good right?

nnkboykin

FNG
Admittedly I have not read every single post on this thread, but thought this was interesting. A close family friend is a part owner of a Ford dealer in my area. His prediction, based on what he's been hearing from Ford, is that the days of lots full of unsold vehicles is gone forever. He suspects he'll end up with several mannequin units that people will use to test drive and then order what config they want. So more of a build to order vs build to stock concept. Of course lead times for new trucks will have to come way down before that's reality, IMO, but it's an interesting concept if the consumer buys in.
I ordered a new F-150 from Ford and was initially quoted a "estimated" timeframe of 12 weeks.
I am currently on week 17... It got built 2 weeks ago and I now have an "estimated" delivery date of May 18-23
If I would have bought that same truck off of a lot somewhere it would have been $4000 more

I ordered a new F-150 from Ford and was initially quoted a "estimated" timeframe of 12 weeks.
I am currently on week 17... It got built 2 weeks ago and I now have an "estimated" delivery date of May 18-23
If I would have bought that same truck off of a lot somewhere it would have been $4000 more
Order an F150 hybrid 12/13. Quoted 16-20 weeks.

In production since 3/17. Microchip hold. No ETA. 21 weeks and counting.

My mom ordered an Explorer in late December. Might go to production this month. Hybrid motor backlog.