Buying guns

How do you (as a buyer) protect yourself when buying a gun on a forum ? I’m looking at a rifle on another forum and the guy has positive feedback as a buyer and seller but I’m not sure how to protect myself in the instance that somebody wanted to screw me over… I thought about asking them to post on gunbroker but not sure if that will turn them away Becuase it can be a bit of a pain if he doesn’t have an account yet, or somebody else could snatch it before me …. Any advice ?

h2so4

WKR
A few options, most take a willing seller.
Are they shipping from a ffl? If so, you choose one in their area and call them to see if they will be a proxy. He drops the gun off, they call you to confirm firm it’s ready to be shipped and then you send the $$.
Similar situation with your local ffl is an option. He chooses which one to ship too if he is shipping from themselves.
Choose an established forum member to hold the $$ while he ships. Once ffl says they have it, establish member sends seller the $$.
Use PayPal goods and services, but that’s all sorts of challenging for gun stuff.

Mosby

WKR
I wouldn't buy a gun over a forum. A lot of fraud these days and life's too short to deal with all the ways you can get screwed on a firearm. I wouldn't buy a gun I couldn't hold in my hands and inspect before purchase but I am particular.

OP
Joshuajosh
A few options, most take a willing seller.
Are they shipping from a ffl? If so, you choose one in their area and call them to see if they will be a proxy. He drops the gun off, they call you to confirm firm it’s ready to be shipped and then you send the $$.
Similar situation with your local ffl is an option. He chooses which one to ship too if he is shipping from themselves.
Choose an established forum member to hold the $$ while he ships. Once ffl says they have it, establish member sends seller the $$.
Use PayPal goods and services, but that’s all sorts of challenging for gun stuff.
He has about 20 people giving feedback saying he’s a good seller, same with being a buyer … some reviews are for gun sales … he has zelle listed as one of the payment options… I was planning on calling him tomorrow to talk about options

OP
Joshuajosh
I wouldn't buy a gun over a forum. A lot of fraud these days and life's too short to deal with all the ways you can get screwed on a firearm. I wouldn't buy a gun I couldn't hold in my hands and inspect before purchase but I am particular
Gun looks great and there are a good bit of pictures, I am going to ask for customized pictures to just double check on that, I’m looking at a cz 527 so I don’t have a whole lot of options since they are not made anymore

You can pay through Guntab.com, they hold the money until you approve, or go beyond timeline. Its a continuous process for both parties, until the sale is completed.

slm9s

FNG
If he has perfect feedback over a long time, its VERY unlikely he will turn to the darkside and screw you over.
If he suddenly posts multiple items at 75% off retail and only takes electronic payment - he's been hacked. Otherwise, send him the money.

Never buy anything on a forum or sight unseen that’s so expensive the money would be more than a slight annoyance.
That way if someone rips you off it’s no big deal. Just live and learn.

Need to talk to him, preferably video chat. Need to be careful with accounts that have good feedback because they could have been hacked.

Happened to someone on here recently, though I can’t remember if the transaction was on this forum or another.

rodney482

WKR
Rolling the dice.
Do your homework
Get phone number (and talk)

You could also contact an FFL in his area to handle shipping (might cost a fuzz more)

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
talk to the guy on the phone. have him send a pic of the item with a hand written note with is name, today's date - and you specify a color that he writes on the note. For example "Blue". That will show you that he actually has the item.

Next, take 5 minutes to create a GunTab account. Each of you do this. It's an escrow account for buying and selling guns. It's like PayPal for guns - but a lot more secure and safer because it's escrow.

I’m looking to buy my third thru a forum. The first 2 I sent the money thru PayPal and waited. Within a few days it was in my possession. Probably completely different circumstances tho, as my sales were in state

Scorpion

WKR
I’ve bought over a dozen guns off of online forums and never spoke to a guy on the phone. Send payment and FFL info and wait for the gun to arrive.

Check their post history, talk to them on the phone or FaceTime if it makes you feel better. Generally the longer someone has been a member somewhere the better off you will be.

Most reputable online forums have a pretty efficient way of dealing with shady classifieds sellers.

OP
Joshuajosh
If he has perfect feedback over a long time, its VERY unlikely he will turn to the darkside and screw you over.
If he suddenly posts multiple items at 75% off retail and only takes electronic payment - he's been hacked. Otherwise, send him the money.
It’s over 2-3 years