Buying used with no warranty

Cwlauger

FNG
So I’m upgrading my bow.. and thinking of buying a used bow that doesn’t come with warranty. Is that a big deal if the bow is in good shape??

Is it worth spending the extra 4-500 bucks on a new bow from a pro shop to get the warranty?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It's not a big deal to me, as long as the bow is in good shape. I'll buy new limbs if I have to, and still be ahead of the price of a new one. But that's provided that you have the equipment and know-how to work on them.

have gotten some accessories, hand guns and other with no warranties and it nerve hurts, if it saves money it’s definitely a good idea

Archerichards

Lil-Rokslider
All my bows are second hand bows. I have bought a new one and sold one almost every year. I mostly buy on the AT site, and only from guys with lots of good reviews and posts (so, a reputation to uphold). Like 5MilesBack above, I work on my own equipment so I have high confidence I can make most repairs/upkeep.

Mostly, I like the feeling of buying a $1500 bow for $700 or 800.

By the way, shipping bows is more costly than you think it'll be: $45 to 75. So make the seller pay it!

When buying a used bow: verify everything looks to be in good condition, if the bow is older than 3 years it may need strings and cables, does it fit you ,and lastly (if used) buy from a known and reputable manufacturer! No issues buying used, just be smart about it. I sell my last years bow every post-season lol.

My only brand new bow was the Browning Micro Midas my dad bought for me at age 13. Since then all my bows have been secondhand, some purchased from shops and some from individuals. A good warranty does have some value but not enough IMO to justify the extra cost. I might get burned someday buying used, but at this point I'll still be money ahead overall even if I buy something that turns out to be a total lemon.

Last edited:
On another note, if you're buying older than 5 years, don't. Just spend that same money on a new one, whatever quality that will buy you...

CodyAK

Lil-Rokslider
Bought a few used bows and have never had an issue. Give the bow a good once over, shoot it, and go from there. Warranty won’t cover a quality aftermarket string…

Is it worth spending the extra 4-500 bucks on a new bow from a pro shop to get the warranty?

If we call that value roughly 33% of the price of a new flagship bow, one would have to have a pretty high likelihood of needing a warranty for that to pencil out.

I'm a fan of buying 1-3 YO used bows for the savings.

Beendare

WKR
“Used” is a big category.

The wear and tear on a 10 yr old bow might be significant.

I think you are underestimating the discount of a used bow. I just bought a 2 yr old bow for 50% off…more if you include the 9% state tax I would have paid on the new one.

I especially look at photos of cams from different angles…if those are bent or seriously nicked- thats A PITA to get new ones.

Worth noting from my other thread, the two bows I bought used were out of tune- one was really bad And its understandable the guy didn’t like the way it shot.

For a guy that has the tools and know how to set the cams and tune- used can be a goldmine.

TaperPin

WKR
Not all used bows have problems, but all problem bows get sold (or fixed) - just don’t assume it shoots great, buy it, then find out it needs something.

If something is used and works perfectly I think it’s worth 75% of new. However if it can’t be shot it’s worth half new price at best, and if anything seems well used or weird it’s worth half of half. Lol

IME the cost savings is a lot more than a few hundred dollars, but that will vary from bow to bow.

I have only bought used and will likely never seriously consider paying the huge premium for new. I also may never buy another bow period since I like what I have, and see next to no advantage with the “new technology”.

I’ve never gotten to use a warranty as when my bow needs repair, it’s usually because I dry fired it. 😂

I buy new and used. If the price is right and you like it, scoop it up.

OP
Cwlauger

Cwlauger

FNG
I've bought several used bows and all have been decent. I just can't justify the price of a new bow
agreed...I am having the same thoughts. My other problem is that I live in Hawaii. There are only 2 pro shops on my island, and neither one of them carry very many demos (especially because I am left handed), so I donʻt really have an opportunity to try anything out.

Still shooting my Halon I picked up the year after it was released from a guy that treated it well and I haven't found a reason to upgrade it yet. The Lift 33 is the only bow that's made me go huh, I like the weight reduction and the way it shoots. Still won't buy one until people start selling them next year at a discount