CA Grizzly Island Tule Antlerless Tag

Orion

FNG
I received a call earlier this evening that I was awarded a Grizzly Island antlerless tule elk tag as an alternate. I am pretty pumped as it will be my first elk hunt and my father is going to go with me. I hope to get up there and scout here in the next few weeks. Has anyone on here done that hunt and have any tips or info they would be willing to share? Thanks in advance!

Bryan

OP
O

Orion

FNG
Thanks, I have heard that it can be a pretty easy hunt, but have never been there myself. I will call the biologist tomorrow. The late notice leaves me only a few weeks to plan, prepare and scout before I have to go back to work.

JNDEER

WKR
There is no scouting needed, not really. Have a truck where you can get high to glass as they bed in the tules sometimes and cannot be seen from the road. There is a reason the success rate is 100%. Have fun and have plans on getting the meat cut up and hung/in a cooler quick. It is hot here.

you pretty much suck..... :) my son was also an alternate on the hunt....he did not get that call....bummer. it is easy and you will have fun and you will load the freezer with high quality meat.

OP
O

Orion

FNG
I was alternate #4 for my hunt, so I thought there was no way in hell I would get the hunt. It was a great surprise to get the call while sitting down for dinner last night.

OP
O

Orion

FNG
I had 15, which was one off the max. With the way our point system works I figured I might as well put in for a cow tag as I have the same odds for a bull tag with 0 points as I do with one off the max.