Cabelas Big Horn 3

R_burg

WKR
I did a search but only found one thread.

Anyone run these?

I just picked one up barely used with the vestibule and was hoping to hear some feedback, as well as what stoves people have used.

Thanks.

I never run one. I do run the alaknak. The only advice I have is to run an upright stove. The stove I use is an upright Warm Morning. Upright stoves take way less room then the lateral stoves. You don’t need a fancy heat deflector either. Two sticks an aluminum foil work great.

OP
R

R_burg

WKR
I never run one. I do run the alaknak. The only advice I have is to run an upright stove. The stove I use is an upright Warm Morning. Upright stoves take way less room then the lateral stoves. You don’t need a fancy heat deflector either. Two sticks an aluminum foil work great.

Thanks bud. Maybe I should start a thread just on the stoves, because that was my main question.

I am surprised that nobody here has run one of these, but the reviews are stellar so I am sure the tent itself will be fine.

I am certain as well. So much so I'll swap you the Alaknak II for it? :D Seriously, it appears to be a great tent. If we were within driving range, I'd be trying my best to get that one away from you.

As far as Stoves, I'm not sure what would be a modern option. The stove I have is 35 yeas old. My only other advice is the stove you buy should have fire brick to retain the heat much better then just steel. Good luck and God Bless

Ryan R

Lil-Rokslider
I've used the bighorn 3 for two years. Overall really good tent. With two cots, table, and stove the tent is full. We use a wood stove by camp chef and it heats the tent up no problem, but will only hold heat at night for 2.5 hours max for us (in negative temps). Now I wish the stove was a bit bigger, but it's a minor issue. Also, in negative temps (-20C), the tent gets massive condensation (like puddles at the cot legs). Going to try a insulated tarp on the roof to trap more heat.

I bought the floor liner with it which is a useful addition with the beating the floor takes. We don't have the vestibule. It would be very useful though.

OP
R

R_burg

WKR
I've used the bighorn 3 for two years. Overall really good tent. With two cots, table, and stove the tent is full. We use a wood stove by camp chef and it heats the tent up no problem, but will only hold heat at night for 2.5 hours max for us (in negative temps). Now I wish the stove was a bit bigger, but it's a minor issue. Also, in negative temps (-20C), the tent gets massive condensation (like puddles at the cot legs). Going to try a insulated tarp on the roof to trap more heat.

I bought the floor liner with it which is a useful addition with the beating the floor takes. We don't have the vestibule. It would be very useful though.

Thanks Ryan. Is this the wood stove you have?

Cylinder Stove: Alpine Heavy Duty | Camp Chef

I don't see a floor liner offered. Does that go inside the tent or are you referring to a ground cloth?

Did you buy the additional roof protector for the stove?

Ryan R

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Ryan. Is this the wood stove you have?

Cylinder Stove: Alpine Heavy Duty | Camp Chef

I don't see a floor liner offered. Does that go inside the tent or are you referring to a ground cloth?

Did you buy the additional roof protector for the stove?

That is the stove I have. It comes with a spark arrestor that attaches to the top of the stove pipe. 1/4" wire mesh. Haven't noticed any burn holes in the tent, but we burn only hard wood. I didn't buy the roof protector because of the availability of popular and birch around here. All the accessories fit in the stove for easier storage.

The floor liner goes inside the tent and is made to attach to clips on the floor along the walls. I don't see it on the website either. It's basically a very over priced tarp. You could just cut a tarp to fit or not use anything. We use a tarp on the ground as well.

OP
R

R_burg

WKR
That is the stove I have. It comes with a spark arrestor that attaches to the top of the stove pipe. 1/4" wire mesh. Haven't noticed any burn holes in the tent, but we burn only hard wood. I didn't buy the roof protector because of the availability of popular and birch around here. All the accessories fit in the stove for easier storage.

The floor liner goes inside the tent and is made to attach to clips on the floor along the walls. I don't see it on the website either. It's basically a very over priced tarp. You could just cut a tarp to fit or not use anything. We use a tarp on the ground as well.

Sweet, thank you.

Regarding the condensation and heat loss: Do you think running the stove and holding more of that heat in longer (via a tarp as you mentioned) will dry the place out more?

Ryan R

Lil-Rokslider
Sweet, thank you.

Regarding the condensation and heat loss: Do you think running the stove and holding more of that heat in longer (via a tarp as you mentioned) will dry the place out more?

I hope so. Keep some heat from going out the ceiling. I also block all the vents, except one by the stove, with cardboard and tuck tape to keep heat in. It seems no matter how long you run the stove the bottom three feet of the tent get iced up. Just something you have to live with. Condensation in winter will always happen.

My wall tent experience is limited compared to some guys.

Cabelas recently discontinued the big horn, might be why you cant find the ground tarp. Not to sure on their reasoning. I've heard good things about the tent.