Cabo fishing suggestions

Hnthrdr

WKR
Visit Cabo usually a time or two a year, used to do the charters, but I get kind of bored just trolling, started packing my own tackle and surf fishing, haven’t caught any monsters yet but have caught a bunch of reef fish and some 3-4ft needle fish which were fun,

Wingnutty

FNG
I’m just learning to surf fish and agree trolling all day = boring after a few days. I’m a do-it-yourselfer and am just as happy catching a 5 lb sierra on my own from the surf as I would be a 40 lb mahi on a trolled line on a boat.

We went in February and caught a good mixed bag staying close to Cabo. I think the most fun was the Dorado but reeling in a 150# marlin was awesome too. There are lost of Bonito that time of year too. I don't think you would be out of line asking to look for quantity over quality and target the groups of smaller fish. Especially if you are looking to keep some fish the Mahi is the way to go! When you are trolling for marlin you do have the chance of catching all sorts of other species.

Did you catch the marlin staying close to shore? Wondering how you balanced the trip focusing on both marlin and mahi (split the time?)? Or were you trolling for marlin and caught the other fish?

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
We were trolling for marlin and got all the other fish. All the captains were talking to one another so after we got 2 marlin they moved in a little closer for the mahi.

bpeay4

FNG
Visit Cabo usually a time or two a year, used to do the charters, but I get kind of bored just trolling, started packing my own tackle and surf fishing, haven’t caught any monsters yet but have caught a bunch of reef fish and some 3-4ft needle fish which were fun,
I have been considering bringing my own gear as well. People I am going with like to sit by the pool all day which is not my thing. Is it true you don't need a liscense when fishing from shore? Any places to possibly rent fishing gear for a day or two?

Hnthrdr

WKR
I have been considering bringing my own gear as well. People I am going with like to sit by the pool all day which is not my thing. Is it true you don't need a liscense when fishing from shore? Any places to possibly rent fishing gear for a day or two?
From all my investigations, yes no fishing license required if you are fishing from shore. Not positive about rentals, there is a place called Jesens tackle which sells stuff down there. I take 4 piece surf rods and 5000 or 6000 size reels and lots of 1/2 oz to 2oz lures, 40lb braid to 20/30 flouro has worked well. If you do take gear be warned when you fly home the rod, reel, and lures must be in checked bags, some weird/stupid Mexican rule

Attachments

• IMG_0139.jpeg
    IMG_0139.jpeg
    347.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3146.jpeg
    IMG_3146.jpeg
    378.1 KB · Views: 6