Cabo fishing suggestions

idcuda

WKR
Going to Cabo in June and I'm looking for fishing guide suggestions. I'd love to chase big marlin, but for this trip I'm just taking the family out for a half day (most likely). Anyone have any suggestions? There are a ton down there, but I haven't started searching yet.

There are plenty of good trips in Cabo. However, most will want to take you for marlin. Marlin might be cool but it’s mostly a boat ride. There is awesome fishing for other species that fight hard and in good numbers. My suggestion is, make sure the charter is okay chasing dorado, tuna, rooster and a ton of other fish. Good luck!

Had a great day with Abigail Sportfishing out of the marina in Cabo San Jose. Very reasonably priced too

Pisces is probably the best there is IMO. Many boats sizes to pick from. Excellent guides. They catch lots of fish.

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
I second Pisces. They will work with you to go catch whatever you want and make sure you have a great time. Not the cheapest in the marina but you definitely get what you pay for.

guylaga

Lil-Rokslider
3rd for Pisces

Wife and I took two trips with them in the same week we where down there in September 2021, came home with a cooler full of Mahi and YFT fillets.

Briefly hooked into a Marlin, but came off after the initial strike.

Recommend the boat Ruthless, price was pretty reasonable considering it was just two of us and we where one of the first boats to leave in the morning and last back in the evening.

yfarm

WKR
July-October Blue Marlin
December thru March Striped marlin
For a family fun trip in June plan for Mahi, may have a stray billfish wander into your baits

BFR

WKR
Fished with Pisces many years ago, great time great crew. Half day, caught 2 Marlin, boat load of Dorado and a stray Wahoo. Had a blast and brought 2 30 qt ice chest of frozen filets home.

Attachments

• 59B293CF-0A9C-41A8-949E-ED72E343D984.jpeg
    59B293CF-0A9C-41A8-949E-ED72E343D984.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 28

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
Another for Pisces. I fished with them several times and with Red Rum several times.

I prefer Pisces.

I have also heard good things about Marlin Hunter but have not fished with them.

Oregon

WKR
Jessica Sportfishing Cabo. Google that, then read reviews.
Jamie is the real deal, he speaks good english, and one of the fishiest dudes I've ever been around. All my friends and myself are fishing guides or charter captains so that should speak volumes.
I've fished with at least a dozen different outfits down there and he's the best I've found.

OP
idcuda

idcuda

WKR
Great suggestions - thanks everyone. Gives me some great places to start looking.

bpeay4

FNG
Bumping this Thread as we are heading to Cabo in March. Went for a half day January of 21 kind of on a whim without really researching different charters or anything. We caught one dorado and 2 smaller marlin I think (about 6 ft). Not really sure if that is a good day or not.

We are going back in Mid march and the fam wants to do another fishing trip. Not sure what species would be the best to target that time of year? Personally I would like to target dorado or other fish instead of marlin which seem to be like only a couple fish a day type thing.

also for those who transported fish home, how did you go about doing this with the airline? last time we only kept enough for one meal and gave the fish to the resort restaurant and they prepared it for us which was pretty cool.

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
Bumping this Thread as we are heading to Cabo in March. Went for a half day January of 21 kind of on a whim without really researching different charters or anything. We caught one dorado and 2 smaller marlin I think (about 6 ft). Not really sure if that is a good day or not.

We are going back in Mid march and the fam wants to do another fishing trip. Not sure what species would be the best to target that time of year? Personally I would like to target dorado or other fish instead of marlin which seem to be like only a couple fish a day type thing.

also for those who transported fish home, how did you go about doing this with the airline? last time we only kept enough for one meal and gave the fish to the resort restaurant and they prepared it for us which was pretty cool.
If you go with any of the bigger name charters in the marina they will package and freeze your fish for you overnight. Buy a "cheap" cooler at the mall and some duct tape. Don't add any ice just the frozen fish and tape her up good. Check it in with your other bags at the airport. Fish will stay plenty frozen on the plane and should be waiting for you at the special luggage pick up at your home airport when you land.

There is also a place, likely where most charters unload your fish at there in the marina, who processes it, packs it and will give it to you wrapped and boxed ready to fly home with. We then took it to our hotel and had them put it in their freezer until we flew back home. Couldn’t have been easier.

I'm going in mid-February and have the same question. I'd like to catch fish and not troll for marlin for 8 hours. Does anyone have a suggestion how to answer, "What should we fish for today?" Of course, I always ask what's been good but in my MX experiences I typically receive an ambiguous answer.

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going in mid-February and have the same question. I'd like to catch fish and not troll for marlin for 8 hours. Does anyone have a suggestion how to answer, "What should we fish for today?" Of course, I always ask what's been good but in my MX experiences I typically receive an ambiguous answer.
We went in February and caught a good mixed bag staying close to Cabo. I think the most fun was the Dorado but reeling in a 150# marlin was awesome too. There are lost of Bonito that time of year too. I don't think you would be out of line asking to look for quantity over quality and target the groups of smaller fish. Especially if you are looking to keep some fish the Mahi is the way to go! When you are trolling for marlin you do have the chance of catching all sorts of other species.

Wingnutty

FNG
Done it. You get what you pay for. Research the boat and the captain before you go. Don’t try to take a gamble to save a few $. Pisces is good, that’s who we went with out of Cabo. If you want the best, Jessica sportfishing, that’s who I’ll go with next time, but more $. Pisces is the lowest risk outfit in the marina. Good reputation, good boats and captains. They will treat you right and get you on fish if there are fish to be had. Other good options out there too though. Do your research. For a boat (not panga) expect to pay $700 out the door (boat, bait, tip) for a 1/2 day, $1000 for a full day. Panga $500 full day. If you see cheaper rates…be weary. Save $200 and take a Mexican boat ride, that has been my experience.

Bring down a good soft sided cooler like an AO brand, 36-48 can model, carries 50 lbs. Or bring a cheap, light Coleman type simple cooler with you. Coolers are expensive in Mexico and honestly you’re $ ahead bringing one with you. Good duct tape and no ice. If your outfit doesn’t freezer your fish Saran Wrap and ziplocks will work fine for you, if your room/condo has a freezer, thats what I did. Vac sealed when I got home. Will stay frozen for minimum of 10-12 hrs. Worked great. Mahi is worth the hassle, shit is like gold.

Have fun. Feel free to ask me questions.

Last edited: