Calibers - Ruger Gen II

Rich M

WKR
So we been talking about Ruger Gen II. I have a Gen I Ranch in 350 Legend - works good enough but i don't like the 16 inch barrel - sensitive deaf ears and get rung a bit if I'm off the stock any.

Anyway - liking the 20-inch barrel on Gen II and maybe another 350 Legend. I've got the reloading stuff and it shoots well to 250 yards.

Problem is that they have so many fun calibers from 7.62x39, 300 BO, 6.5 Grendel, 6 CM, 6.5 CM, 6 ARC, 6.5 ARC, etc.

Am I cutting myself short with 350 legend?

OP
R

Rich M

WKR
Purpose is general deer gun.

I'm in FL, no restrictions on caliber - most shots are inside 75 yds, 250 is a long shot here.

Am I cutting myself short with 350 legend?

Purpose is general deer gun.

I'm in FL, no restrictions on caliber - most shots are inside 75 yds, 250 is a long shot here.

Yes, you are limiting yourself with the 350L.

Get a 22ARC, 6 ARC, or 6.5 Grendel and practice more and go kill stuff.

As for “getting rung” wear hearing protection, even when hunting, or spend the $ and get a can.

Matt5266

WKR
My 2 cents. If I were in your position I would go with 300 Blackout. I dont know if you hunt with a surpressor or not but either way this would be my choice. Do a search on the 110 tac x bullets on deer. Perfect use for this and no recoil even in a ultra light rifle. My Ruger American Ranch shoots them lights out. And even with a surpressor and bipod it's light. Plus general plinking/ target ammo is pretty cheap. Not much more than .223 now..... but that being said you could also choose a .223 and not go wrong with 77 grain SMKs.

Axlrod

WKR
Adding 4" to your barrel instead of using hearing pro is like cutting back from 4 poisonous mushrooms to 3! :ROFLMAO:

OP
R

Rich M

WKR
Adding 4" to your barrel instead of using hearing pro is like cutting back from 4 poisonous mushrooms to 3! :ROFLMAO:
Im deaf and wear electronic muffs, ears cant hear much but super sensitive to percussion. Have to have e muffs or i become a safety hazard for others.

Have to leave the range when the azzhats w 223 ars and muzzlebrakes show up.

Ajsomp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I have a gen 1 350 legend and that’s ONLY because I can only use straight wall cartridges to hunt on base (at least as far as centerfire rifle goes). I wouldn’t choose it otherwise. 300 blackout in the ranch would be a fantastic option if you wanted to suppress it (especially paired with discreet ballistics subsonic selous rounds). Or 223/556 would be just as effective with 77 grain tmk or 62 grain controlled chaos bullets.

If you want to go to the 20inch - 6 arc, 6creed, 223 all good options as well. 6.5 creed would allow for some greater flexibility if you wanted to use it for anything else and has lower recoil than 308 for example.

bottom line - 350 legend obviously can get the job done - I killed a buck and doe with it just this year- but if I was able to choose another caliber, I would immediately.