Camera Batteries

What is everyone liking for AA batteries in trail cameras in a wide range of weather conditions?

I’ve run lithium energizer in the past and still do occasionally but at close to $20/8 that’s tough to do.
Bunch of other lithium options on Amazon but nothing that affordable.

Amazon alkaline AA are cheap and a bunch of energizer or Duracell options.

I’ve run a lot of the brown Costco AA in the past. Recently I’ve only seen the Duracell 40 pack for $21

I need 60 ish for my cameras since a bunch ran low last year. I do typically pull them in the winter but occasionally I don’t make it back to grab one for a full year.

TSAMP

WKR
I think there's a similar thread on this but I'm in for the discussion. I've looked at bulk lithiums but haven't found anything that makes me pull the trigger.

I switched to a 12v 10ah lithium battery, plastic waterproof ammo case and the proper plug. It is rare if I can find AA lithiums up here in BC and if you do, they are around $2.50 a battery

I run 6 of the 12V so far and will be adding more when the batteries come on sale.

I run cheap AA from spring to late fall, once the bears go to bed, then I will switch to the 12v on my 6 Brownings. I also run a few more on 12v car batteries, but they are a real PITA to pack in, the 12v lithiums, plug cord and camera all fit in the ammo case and then into my pack.

I will get an avg of 12000 10 sec videos from late Oct to the end of January and the lithium's are still at 100%. They will even run in -35 c, which the AA will not.

The original cost will be a bit much (about $90 for the battery, case and plug cord, in Canada), but I figure in a year to a year in half, they have paid for themselves over the AA's.

I want to run about 12 cams like this in the next few years; the rest will run on photos only and I will use the rechargeable AA Lithiums from Amazon. They handle the cold well, but will run down faster if the cam is on video.

Cheers

SS

OP
doverpack12
Not sure how I missed the other thread from August 2023. I scrolled back 4-5 pages to 2022 before posting.
Anyway ran into a deal I couldn’t pass on. 24 pack durastart AA for $7.89 at Murdochs and 20% off that so I got 2 packs which will run my 10 cameras for the year.
I’ll get a few packs of lithium if I think I might not make it back to a camera until the next year so it will run through the winter.

EdP

WKR
I run my cameras year round and generally get about a year from Duracel AA alkaline. Browning cameras, 6 batteries each, not cell cameras. Weather here is not that extreme and where you are may make a big difference but no way can I justify lithium here.

Cliffy65

Lil-Rokslider
Energizer ultimate lithium for all trail cams in MT due to the temps and anything I can get my hands on for the cams in OZ

Scratch my initial post, I was thinking in the wrong terms. These still seem interesting
Yep - 2400 mAh per battery. Only issue I’ve had with the high-cap rechargeables is that they are very slightly larger OD than standard AAs so in some cams like Spypoints with a very tight battery compartment, they may not quite fit. And…in some Reconyx models, you have to use lithiums. I run up to 15 Brownings year-round, even in sub zero temps, and these work great.

Byrdman

FNG
I usually use energizer lithium here in Wisconsin through the winter. Lithium are the only ones that continue to work in the cold temperatures. The rest of the seasons I can get away with cheaper batteries if I am using my cameras.

How many months/pics are those good for? Some people have cameras in different states than where they live, and not able to frequently pull, recharge, and replace.
Depends on the camera. Some models draw more power when sitting idle and use more on nighttime pics. I’ve had two Spypoints out over this winter (4 months) that are still showing 30-40% battery. My Brownings will run out of memory (128 Gb) long before the batteries run out. I generally run a dozen or more cams year-round.

deer310sg

Lil-Rokslider
I run Reconyx hc600, hf2's. Reconyx recommends lithiums, which is all I have used in these cams. Battery life....along time.
Back in the day, like 4, 5 years ago used Rayovacs in brownings, coverts. Battery life decent. Lithiums $ have skyrocketed in last year or two. Worth the investment though for sure.

OP
doverpack12
I picked up some of the non standard brand lithiums. $34/24 at that price I can still justify going lithium and I agree they do last longer and work in the cold where a lot of alkaline just die.
Energizer lithium at $40/8 is not worth the cost, they are what I used when you could get them $10 ish/8 pre Covid.

Lithium batteries are definitely more expensive, and they do last longer in extreme cold. Best thing about them is they will not leak and ruin your electronics. If you use less expensive batteries and they leak and ruin the camera, it won't take any pictures after it quits working. If you leave it there for an extended period of time, it will be dead with no pictures when you do go to check it. Waste of time is a good reason to use batteries that won't fail.

Cliffy65

Lil-Rokslider
No way………Cliffy??? Track day /racer Cliffy??
The same
I’m guessing you’re the same Jonny Mac that I picked up a KLX for in Shitney and dropped it off at Phillip Island?

Last edited:

JMac23

FNG
The same
I’m guessing you’re the same Jonny Mac that I picked up a KLX for in Shitney and dropped it off at Phillip Island?
That is legitimately wild!!!

It’s Jonnymac from Phillip island track days here mate. How have you been??