Camping in someone elses camp!?

Marble

WKR
We used a camp one year for 9 days. Killed 5 bulls and 4 bucks. An outfitter came and rode right through our camp (didn't know it at the time). I wasn't there.

The following year we had a fairly substantial confrontation with the outfitter about halfway to camp. All his clients were there and it was quite the shit show. I was ready to brawl right there but my hunting partner was smart and found a better way to deal with it.

That one issue lingered with us for about 6 to 7 years until that outfitter was voluntold to leave by about everyone around. Everytime we ran into someone that worked for him there was an issue.

It wasn't worth using the camp. It wasn't wrong to use it either. But it's not what I want to deal with when I'm hunting. I've got enough of that at work.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
These days I wouldn't put it past someone to use someone's existing/standing camp......tent and all. Seems like squatters have more rights than landowners these days. Just like renters have had more rights than landlords during Covid.

In 2011 it was late and I was asleep in my tent when a vehicle pulled into my camp site with his headlights lighting up my tent. I'm thinking "what idiot pulls into someone's camp in the middle of the night"? I threw on my pants and boots and grabbed my G20 and exited the tent. I see a Pennsylvania plate on the truck, and this guy gets out and says "Hey, I was wondering if you would mind if we set up camp here with you"? Seriously? I told him there was a campground a few miles back on the main road if he needed a spot. He replied "Oh, we're already in that campground, but we're tired of paying for it so looking for other spots". What on earth. Who does that?

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
I have no idea how to tell if what you saw was an outfitters camp. Maybe you could check on that. But if it isn’t an outfitter with a permit and it is public land…then those guys left “trash” so burn it.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
As someone that works for an outfitter that’s just starting his own business and reputation I’ll weigh in. I’ll preface this with, most outfitters that have a designated camp site have a sign attached to a tree stating they have a permit for use within a 100ft radius and reserve the right to have you move out to the radius if you’re camped directly on their spot. Pertaining to Colorado.

Last year while setting camp some archery guys came through with a pack horse looking for a campsite, walked right between two tents, asking if it would be alright if they camped there. Outfitter said sure but please camp outside of the 100ft radius, it’s public land y’all can go where you want. We then told them when we would be bringing hunters in so they would be aware of when they’d have neighbors. All was well and friendly.

This year we rode in to set camp, in a different area, and found the place wrecked. Horses tied to aspens, all of our ridge poles cut in half, trash left everywhere, and the sign torn down and ripped up. We kind of expect tents and gear to get used when we leave it there. But please be respectful and keep it tidy. And if we show up be prepared to be asked to move.

What some people may not understand is that an outfitter is liable for damages done in there camp zone. If the Forest service has come through and seen all that crap they’d likely blame the outfitter and pull his permits. That would be the end of his business and lively hood. That’s part of the reason for those guys being so protective of that spot, at least the reputable honest outfitters.

If you found someone else’s stash of stuff and campsite. Use it and enjoy. But maybe when you’re done you could replenish the firewood, clean the site up, and leave it as you found it. If they show up and you’re there, be prepared to move and put the camp back the way it was. Maybe even offer to help gather some replacement wood.

A little courtesy and good natured conversation goes a long way in the backcountry. Outfitter and DIY hunters can darn sure coexist and get along out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI…. Outfitters cannot camp anywhere. Their operating plan which is part of the user permit designates an assigned site. There is a fee for each camp on the permit being used that season. Before the season starts they submit a Proposed Use form listing how many clients and horses will be there and on what dates.

Just use that to your advantage. You cannot camp on a designated outfitter site. You wouldn’t want to anyway. Ideally you become friends and work around each other AND have him on standby to pack elk out for you. If he does turn out to be an asshole, which happen with hunters too, just deal with it accordingly. To me that means being in the very best spots well before daylight while they’re getting inexperienced hunters onto horses. Just outhunt them fair and square.

Even if it wasn’t an outfitter spot I’d be neighborly. Why not. Put yourself in the other guys shoes ya know…..

FLS

WKR
I wouldn’t use someone else’s camp or burn wood I didn’t cut myself because I’m not a lazy asshole. Some of y’all are what’s wrong with our society today. **** the other guy, I’m getting mine. Keep your hands off other people stuff. Period.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn’t use someone else’s camp or burn wood I didn’t cut myself because I’m not a lazy asshole. Some of y’all are what’s wrong with our society today. **** the other guy, I’m getting mine. Keep your hands off other people stuff. Period.
It's not really "thier" stuff, in fact those ASSHOLES should of left it like they found it not build corrals and hanging posts on public land. Sure would of made it a non issue as it's first come first serve. Your right it's that entitlement attitude that causes all the problems with society today

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

It's not their's. Sorry Columbus, there's no staking and marking land anymore. Land ho, matey.

It's their's while they're there. If I set up camp, it's mine while I'm there. Not saying I'd take that spot, but that's because I don't want the chance of others hunting on my heels, not because someone thinks they staked a claim.

elkyinzer

WKR
I wouldn't, it's asking for conflict, but at the same time it's f***ed up that someone would do that on public land. I might perform some quick cleanup and restoration work.

The outfitter thing, I haven't really dealt with them personally that isn't really a thing here on public land and I'm damn glad it isn't.

OP
F
Like I said I was scouting when I went there. I set up my tent in the area. Didn’t mess with anything except took a few water bottles and food cans back out with me. I didn’t run in to anyone either.

Button

WKR
I like camping and one of the many things I like about it is getting away from people. So I would set up elsewhere.

FLS

WKR
It's not their's. Sorry Columbus, there's no staking and marking land anymore. Land ho, matey.

It's their's while they're there. If I set up camp, it's mine while I'm there. Not saying I'd take that spot, but that's because I don't want the chance of others hunting on my heels, not because someone thinks they staked a claim.
It’s not about possession.

Last edited:

Grzybow

FNG
I think if it looked like the wood had recently been cut, and it was clear it was done as prep for an upcoming hunt, I would set up elsewhere without a doubt.

BTLowry

FNG
I would not burn anyone’s firewood unless like someone else stated, cold and wet and matter of me living or dying
Would not camp with or near anyone without getting to know them a little first
And dang sure would not be rude enough to just set up camp amongst or close to someone if they were there first without them being good with it

Why would one want too camp even near a bunch of yahoos with out knowing anything about them. This is the reason I hunt with a particular group of like minded hunters, For example this year soon will be going too Wyoming for a mule deer hunt, usual hunting partners, The one guy I have hunted with since we were 18 years old and not necessarly four legged animals. It is a DIY hunt, one buddy ask about a new guy going along made it a point too talk too this guy various times and develop a situation report for me. Also told the buddy he is your responsibilty, best too clue him in on the do and do not program, either he falls in with the group or finds a hotel room, as too others camps wether public or not, I CUT A WIDE PATH AWAY FROM THEM, The less others know where I am at in a situation like that the better off we all are. I am not a squatter. 2019 Wyoming antelope hunt one of the regular group members back at camp complained about a rancher reaming his ass about not fastening up a gate properly (he was told prior too hunting about the gate situation and the proper way too fasten the gate) I told him there is no next time either do what the rancher says or stay the hell home.

Last edited:

MOSO 300

FNG
I’d use it, probably wouldn’t burn their wood but people like to lay “claim” to multiple spots and not actually be there. The spot is usually there for a reason, ie water, flat spot, help with wind…. Why find a lesser spot if someone isn’t there. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I'm still not following the idea of not using "their" wood. Is every peice of cut wood in the forest untouchable? If I cut a pile of wood while camping and don't use it all is it mine until I return? I think not. Its silly to think just because you cut a pile of wood it's yours if you leave it behind. The only thing in my mind that changes this is if it is in fact a marked and designated outfitter camp or if you have a firewood permit for home use. Even then most people gathering firewood aren't stacking it in camp sites.