Can You Show Some Bucks With Known Scores?

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
The only number I need if I see him is a range lol.

I get 211 but you could say he's bigger and I wouldn't be surprised. I probably short changed the mass a bit and maybe a few other measurements?
4ReyL7q.jpg

Question from curiosity/lack of knowledge. Why does B&C give 157 as the Final. Would that be the "Net" or would 184 be the "Net" score? It seems like they get 184 and then add the difference to get gross (which makes sense) but if 157 is the Net then it seems like you subtract 2x the difference from gross to get Net?

Edit - Guessing some of the difference may be due to the non typical antlers? Reading a bit more I realized NTs are scored differently. Will enter the numbers in the NT calculator and see if/how it varies.

Thanks to everyone who's posted bucks and info in the thread so far!

Last edited:

Juan_ID

WKR
Nice!

I definitely underestimated that one.

Guessing I was just an inch short everywhere...

When you first saw that buck were you thinking 180s or bigger/smaller?
When I first saw him I remember telling the guy I was with, “that’s a 180 buck” within about 30 seconds of looking at him. He studied him for several minutes and came back and said he thought he was 182”. I remember when he scored him later that day he was real proud he was within 1”, I was more than content with my “ballpark” guess of 180 lol. I was looking at a lot more big bucks regularly back then and felt I was usually pretty close, within about 5” typically. Which is plenty good enough to me as long as I am under and not over haha.

Juan_ID

WKR
The only number I need if I see him is a range lol.

I get 211 but you could say he's bigger and I wouldn't be surprised. I probably short changed the mass a bit and maybe a few other measurements?
4ReyL7q.jpg

Question from curiosity/lack of knowledge. Why does B&C give 157 as the Final. Would that be the "Net" or would 184 be the "Net" score? It seems like they get 184 and then add the difference to get gross (which makes sense) but if 157 is the Net then it seems like you subtract 2x the difference from gross to get Net?

Edit - Guessing some of the difference may be due to the non typical antlers? Reading a bit more I realized NTs are scored differently. Will enter the numbers in the NT calculator and see if/how it varies.

Thanks to everyone who's posted bucks and info in the thread so far!
If scoring as a typical you would deduct all the “extra” or nontypical inches from the typical frame total PLUS the symmetry differences. If scoring as a non-typical you only lose the symmetry ”differences” Or so that’s how I remember it. Gross is the only one that matters and you can’t convince me otherwise! 😂

TaperPin

WKR

TaperPin

WKR
Earlier this fall a family member was about to go deer hunting in northern Nevada and he brought up some big local deer and asked what I thought - that’s when it really hit me that my method of quickly scoring wide, boxy, deep forked western Wyoming bucks doesn’t work as well in other deer populations that are more narrow and taller. South central Wyoming is also known for an area with a lot of width, short forks and kind of a splayed out look, which are also quite different.

One thing that always helps, is just getting your eyes on a number of local bucks, then even your subconscious knows when it’s a good buck even if you can’t say why. I feel bad for guys used to thin antlered, small bodied deer and they run across a normal 3x3 Wyoming deer for the first time and it looks huge so they take him on opening day, only to watch bigger deer every day for the rest of the trip. Lol

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
When I first saw him I remember telling the guy I was with, “that’s a 180 buck” within about 30 seconds of looking at him. He studied him for several minutes and came back and said he thought he was 182”. I remember when he scored him later that day he was real proud he was within 1”, I was more than content with my “ballpark” guess of 180 lol. I was looking at a lot more big bucks regularly back then and felt I was usually pretty close, within about 5” typically. Which is plenty good enough to me as long as I am under and not over haha.

What were your "tells" / thought process to get that close so quick?

I'm going to assume I'm +/- 10" for awhile until I get a lot better at this. To be within 5" is great IMO.

Juan_ID

WKR
What were your "tells" / thought process to get that close so quick?

I'm going to assume I'm +/- 10" for awhile until I get a lot better at this. To be within 5" is great IMO.
Honestly I just remember seeing his frame real clear and thinking that’s a 180 buck, I don’t usually get real detailed and actually add up “inches”. Maybe I do it all subconsciously, I have been known to do math problems “wrong” but get to the same answer haha so I’m not exactly sure how I end up where I do. Granted most the big bucks I refer to seeing “back then” were all 170-185ish with a few well beyond that. So maybe that made it easier cuz I’d seen several that scored real close pretty regularly. There were a couple well over that and once they get over 185ish I just say they’re big and roll with it lol.

FYG

FNG
Because there is no snow and the ski areas are crowded 🤦🏼‍♂️= I figured I would add a big one to guess at..

Local buck from 25+ years ago and one of my favorites.. 32.5” wide and a beer can for perspective…. Hard to believe w the crap management choices Co has made well it is fair to say hunters in this day and age might never see a buck like this on the hoof.. How things change…

View attachment 647581View attachment 647582View attachment 647583
I'll play- 220". Seems like about a 200" +/- and around 20" of extras, which I'm probably over estimating by a couple inches- in-lines are a bit longer than your beer can, so I guessed 7" each, and the extra forming the trident looks to be about 4-5", so 18-20", but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. G1s are short, beams aren't exceptionally long, but not weak either. Mass is deceptive and gets him up there.

ColoradoV

WKR
Any photos of them on the ground / not through a digiscope?

Google Colorado Gov tags… I forget the year(s) exactly as it was before the war on mule deer started in the nw. Squirrel found more than a couple back then…..

I'll play- 220". Seems like about a 200" +/- and around 20" of extras, which I'm probably over estimating by a couple inches- in-lines are a bit longer than your beer can, so I guessed 7" each, and the extra forming the trident looks to be about 4-5", so 18-20", but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. G1s are short, beams aren't exceptionally long, but not weak either. Mass is deceptive and gets him up there.

You are pretty darn close and that’s about how I break him down now. Below but close to 200” on the frame.. Extras and lots o mass moves him up a bit. When you are 13-14 ya look at it different as he had the wow!!

Still a fun one to guess and the way I look at him since he was killed w a rifle on 4000ac+ of land my grandfather had permission to hunt, in the olden times, near eagle, on a otc tag = he kinda does not count. My grandma was the first one to see him said he was a bigger buck then he ended up whole in the back of a truck 2 days later. Yea a what a grind 😂.

To each their own just some bucks need a star by their rack 🤦🏼‍♂️👍..

I will play on the big typical there. Super cool buck but as we nitpick… Good g2’s might be close to but I don’t see over 20”, good eyeguards, real solid mains, and inside spread, willowy or below average mass, weak G4’s.. 203 1/8”… 33 wide…

Reactions: FYG
Because there is no snow and the ski areas are crowded 🤦🏼‍♂️= I figured I would add a big one to guess at..

Local buck from 25+ years ago and one of my favorites.. 32.5” wide and a beer can for perspective…. Hard to believe w the crap management choices Co has made well it is fair to say hunters in this day and age might never see a buck like this on the hoof.. How things change…

View attachment 647581View attachment 647582View attachment 647583
I’ll play. 223 gross, I gave him 41” of mass 😬

FYG

FNG
Google Colorado Gov tags… I forget the year(s) exactly as it was before the war on mule deer started in the nw. Squirrel found more than a couple back then…..
No doubt- I just like seeing them from different angles. If I only ever saw mule deer that were looking away from me, I'd have some interesting stories of "ones that got away" and ones with ground shrinkage.

JGRaider

WKR
I will play on the big typical there. Super cool buck but as we nitpick… Good g2’s might be close to but I don’t see over 20”, good eyeguards, real solid mains, and inside spread, willowy or below average mass, weak G4’s.. 203 1/8”… 33 wide…
G1's 3 6/8
G2's 21 5/8
G3's 11 5/8
G4's 9 4/8
Inside main beam 31 5/8
Main beams 27
Mass 17 2/8

Gross 211"

ColoradoV

WKR
Well that's about normal for me I usually am 5-10" low when guessing inches..

Good part about that is no ground shrinkage!

Congrats again on a cool buck.

It's been a min or 20+ years on my buck so I will have a beer and put a tape on it soon to see how it adds up now.