Canol or Lancasters?

jt4752

FNG
Can anyone give me advice on NWT outfitters? Thinking about booking a Dall sheep hunt with either Canol or the Lancasters. What are y’all’s experiences with these outfitters?

Cspraggins

Lil-Rokslider
Both a very good outfits.

Canol has been on alot of hunting shows recently, which makes me think they are trying to push quite a few hunters through there, but they also have the largest concession in the NWT. As I understand it, Glenda runs a good ship there and lots of good rams are taken every year.

The Lancaster family is so well respected in the sheep world, I don’t think you could go wrong with them.

I would probably look at the secondary species and see which outfit produces the best animals of what you like there, as both of them appear to have the sheep figured out and they both consistently kill crankers.

I arrowed a ram with Canol in 2017, the first year they owned it, and had a great hunt.

TNsavageman

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t hunted with either one.
I did run into some hunters tagging sheep when I was tagging mine (‘22) that had hunted with Canol. They were all very happy with their experiences and two were going back in ‘23.

MDM23

FNG
i hunted with Canol in 22 and killed a 11 year old. Great outfit, first class operation all the way around. Lots of good rams, they try to only kill 10 yr+ old rams. Can’t recommend enough, I think they are currently booking for 2026. Haven’t hunted with lancasters but hear good things.

MattB

WKR
Hard to go wrong in the NWT. My preference would be Gana River, but hard to go wrong with any of the established outfitters up there.

kybuck1

Lil-Rokslider
My personal experience with canol is exceptional. Moose/caribou was my experience with them last year and the whole experience was awesome. Headed back to there on a sheep hunt. I've heard good things about Lancasters though as well. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
Hard to go wrong with any of the outfitters in the NWT. I talked to most before finally booking with Gana River. I know people will say bigger rams come from certain concessions but I think the average rams from each area are pretty similar from what I have seen. There is some luck involved in shooting a big ram but the better shape you are in the more ground you can cover and you have to be willing to pass smaller rams even if they are 10+ if you have a particular minimum in mind. First thing is to consider if you want to go horseback or backpack as well as plane vs heli. I wanted the supercub experience and enjoyed the family atmosphere of base camp at Gana. I am sure I would have had a good experience elsewhere and also came down to dates and availability as well. Could not have been a better experience. Headed back in 2025 for moose/sheep/caribou.

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted with Canol a few years ago and had a great hunt. Glenda and Glen run a great operation.

The Lancaster's have a sterling reputation as well but the only thing that might give me pause is I believe their area was decreased in size due to Park designation or something like that?

I am not 100% certain of that but probably a question worth asking if you are considering them.

As many have said, I don't believe there is a bad concession or outfit in the NWT to my knowledge, all seem to be very solid businesses.

Scottf270

WKR
Jim and Clay also own NWT Outfitters as well as Nahanni Butte. They hunt sheep, moose etc. in both areas. They are great guys and run a great operation.

There are only 8 guide areas in NWT and all outfits are very good. Research what type of hunt you want, cost if it varies, and availability. Can't really go wrong with any of them.