Canol Outfitters

I’ve been following this thread. I guess I was hoping that it was just smoke and that there really wasn’t a fire.

Wife and I were unable to go to Reno this time but we are headed to Nashville in a couple of weeks. Was planning to book a NWT Dall hunt for me and have my son come along (he will be 13-15 by the time we go) as an observer and let him kill a caribou. Have the same hunt planned for 2025 with Blackstone for a Fannin ram for me and a caribou for my older son who will be 15 at the time. Blackstone sold out a little over a year ago but the new owner did the right thing and honored existing contracts.

Canol was #1 on my list for the NWT hunt I was going to book. Met Glenda over the years at a few of the different conventions.

Won’t be booking with the new outfit. If they are treating folks who had a contract that way then they aren’t the kind of people I want to deal with.

Guess this trip to Nashville will be a little more focused than I expected. It had been kind of a done deal in my head.
Be sure to go see Harold at Gana River Outfitters.

S-3 ranch

WKR
I never thought I would see the sheep hunting industry get so cut throat
and expensive,
terrible news

P.S
update
my understanding is the tribal government sold the concession to the higher bidder, and they own their own helicopter service so it’s a + in the area of operations

lots of sheep concessions are now under contract to highest bidder by landlords and council so I don’t ever see any reason why hunts will ever be affordable in the future

Last edited:

Hnthrdr

WKR
Fifty thousand dollar Dall sheep hunts have arrived. Hold on boys!!!!
Wish I could have invested in a dall sheep etf… then maybe I would be able to afford one haha 😂 going north of 75k by the time I’m ready to pay for one I bet

MaybelNellie

FNG
Classified Approved
I’ve been following this thread. I guess I was hoping that it was just smoke and that there really wasn’t a fire.

Wife and I were unable to go to Reno this time but we are headed to Nashville in a couple of weeks. Was planning to book a NWT Dall hunt for me and have my son come along (he will be 13-15 by the time we go) as an observer and let him kill a caribou. Have the same hunt planned for 2025 with Blackstone for a Fannin ram for me and a caribou for my older son who will be 15 at the time. Blackstone sold out a little over a year ago but the new owner did the right thing and honored existing contracts.

Canol was #1 on my list for the NWT hunt I was going to book. Met Glenda over the years at a few of the different conventions.

Won’t be booking with the new outfit. If they are treating folks who had a contract that way then they aren’t the kind of people I want to deal with.

Guess this trip to Nashville will be a little more focused than I expected. It had been kind of a done deal in my head.
PM me if you want my two cents. A couple and one of the top NWT outfitters won't be in Nashville. Good to check SCI's floor plan and outfitter list.

MaybelNellie

FNG
Classified Approved
Anybody swing by Keele’s booth and get a price quote?
Wanted to meet Landen to say no hard feelings, etc., but his booth was so packed every time I walked by didn't want other guys to hear our discussion....probably because he was only one who had avail hunts in 2024/25. As far as I understand, he is the highest $$ in the NWT, but I expect others to catch up soon. And, with Alaska sheep going downhill fast, its only going to get worse.

Wanted to meet Landen to say no hard feelings, etc., but his booth was so packed every time I walked by didn't want other guys to hear our discussion....probably because he was only one who had avail hunts in 2024/25. As far as I understand, he is the highest $$ in the NWT, but I expect others to catch up soon. And, with Alaska sheep going downhill fast, its only going to get worse.

What makes you think Canadian Dalls aren’t suffering as well?

Reactions: OMB

MattB

WKR
Maybe a dumb question, but why do you have no hard feelings? Seems to me that they did a bunch of people dirty by not honoring contracts.

Last edited:

MaybelNellie

FNG
Classified Approved
Agree on Yukon. Talked to a disgruntled group at the Sheep Camp bar in Whitehorse last summer and the rough winters were to blame they said. Another outfitter said same and another at sheep show last weekend said the middle of the territory's concessions had it pretty rough. Still seems like the NWT had their same high success though.

MaybelNellie

FNG
Classified Approved
Maybe a dumb question, but why do you have no hard feelings? Seems to me that they did a bunch of people dirty by not honoring contract.
Too small a group of outfitters/hunters and don't want to burn bridges. Never know when there will be a cancellation hunt. And the Canol/Keele area is just too good to not want to go back. Don't deny this was bad business, but I want to hunt anywhere I can as long as I can.